Re: [Z_Scale] 2-8-2 Shell Update

  • Loren
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
      Ok Jim,
      I've got an idea......you buy 999 of them and I'll buy a
      couple...........and I'll thank you for helping to lower the price ok? :o)

      This is looking good from where we sit. Karin finally landed a used, 5 pole
      Mikado on Ebay so now we have something to convert over when the time comes.

      I'd like opinions here.........what if the shell itself were cast out of
      metal? Would the added weight be a plus, or would the metal chassis and
      shell be too much for the motor to pull let alone the string of cars behind
      it?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
        Hi Loren, Oops. I said the chassis would be pewter. I meant to say the shell will be cast in pewter. Also to the best of my knowledge metal castings are not being done by Searails. I only need three, thanks. One for my Pacific and two for my Mikados. Cheers, Jim CCRR
      • David Freehling
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
          loren, as one who's modified a marklin (mikado) with extra weight added, i can tell you that it doesn't hurt the loco. chris schmuck did one and it came out weighing 37oz (using the original motor), mine came out to about 34oz. (i used a coreless maxon motor).

          the weight helps, but it's not the cure-all for pulling power. BullFrog Snot would the product to use to achieve that.

          i just pre-ordered one of the mikado shells (yes, sight unseen). i did with the RS shell and was glad. jim at Searails is taking a big risk that if the product is not good people will shun his stuff, which is also his incentive to deliver something good.

          on his website he says the product is satifaction guaranteed or your money back! advance cost is $50, but with shipping added it comes to $65. $50 is what the RP RS shells cost. if he gets this right Searails will be the one good source for converting marklin (and the japanese mikado soon to come) to american. with the possibility of extra parts, this could be the shove people need to run more steamers.

          my 2 cents.
          dave f.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:
          > I'd like opinions here.........what if the shell itself were cast out of
          > metal? Would the added weight be a plus, or would the metal chassis and
          > shell be too much for the motor to pull let alone the string of cars behind
          > it?
          > Loren
        • Garth Hamilton
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
            Hi Loren;

            The boiler shell in pewter is the way to go. It has been done extensively in Nn3 and works a charm. The Marklin chassis is isolated from the track pickups so no shorting out as long as you tape the pickup copper traces on the side of the chassis before dropping the pewter one in place. Or a thing piece of styrene can be used glued to the inside of the pewter shell.

            cheers Garth