Z Heavyweight Passenger Car Update

  • Jim O'Connell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
      Friends, Here is the latest.
      A subscription to a series of eight "heavyweight" Pullman 30's passenger cars. Cast pewter chassis, full interiors on RP deck, and RP body shells with receivers for body mounted couplers and pewter-cast trucks. We are hoping to acquire 37" metal wheels for the trucks, but the MTL wheels will fit as well. $75 each car, $325 for any set of five (5), $500 for all eight (8). Available in Z scale.
      We have been waiting for this release for over 30 years. Subcription/reservation date is July 14, 2009. Cheers, Jim CCRR
    • Jim O'Connell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
        Reynard, I believe the manufacturer 'fessed up here on this site last month. Yes, it is Searails. I would assume there are no photos because nothing has been produced yet. Here is a quote from the manufacturer. "Subscription for "J" Class 2-8-2 and Tender. Cast pewter, bead blasted matte black with receivers for body mounted couplers, decals for three (3) roads (PRR, NYC, CNW). $65 for the engine, $60 for the tender, $100 for both, $500 for a set decorated to specification. Advance paid reservations for September 26 delivery." Also in September there will be a Catologue of Z parts for the assembly of your own 'J' class from boiler up.
        I'm not sure why the manufacturer asked me not to reveal their id. I was true to my word on previous postings. As for the Heavyweights I'll invite you over to see my set running on the Northern Division. If I live long enough you can invite me over to see Brand X's versions. lol Lastly, I am merely a bushbeater on these additions to Z steam. I have no stake in Searails either financially or otherwise. Personally, I can't wait until 2020 or even 2010 to have my Z dreams fulfilled. I'll be happy with what I can get, when I can get it. Cheers, Jim CCRR

        > Hello Jim,
        >
        > Me and some other list subscribers have guessed
        > that the manufacturer is Searails. I doubt that many of us
        > will "pre-order" something sight unseen or even attributed.
        >
        > Don't get me wrong. I am very interested in the Mikado shell
        > and the Heavyweight Passenger Cars. But a shadow
        > looms over this endeavor by the lack of pictures and
        > openness concerning the product origin.
        >
        > Please urge your associate to post some pictures of the
        > actual items as built or installed, even if only "pre-production".
        > It will help the sale of these items far more than just a verbal
        > description.
        >
        > Good luck and best regardZ,
        > Reynard
        > On Jul 1, 2009, at 2:04 PM, Jim O'Connell wrote:
        >

        > > Friends, Here is the latest.
        > > A subscription to a series of eight "heavyweight" Pullman 30's
        > > passenger cars. Cast pewter chassis, full interiors on RP deck, and
        > > RP body shells with receivers for body mounted couplers and pewter-
        > > cast trucks. We are hoping to acquire 37" metal wheels for the
        > > trucks, but the MTL wheels will fit as well. $75 each car, $325 for
        > > any set of five (5), $500 for all eight (8). Available in Z scale.
        > > We have been waiting for this release for over 30 years.
        > > Subcription/reservation date is July 14, 2009. Cheers, Jim CCRR

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
            Hi Jim,

            I guess that I was not paying that much attention to
            the Zgroup postings. My apologies. Anyway, it
            sounds encouraging but I do await some actual
            pictures of the products, at least, before making a
            firm commitment.

            Thank you very much!
            and best regardZ,
            Reynard
            On Jul 1, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Jim O'Connell wrote:

            > Reynard, I believe the manufacturer 'fessed up here on this site
            > last month. Yes, it is Searails. I would assume there are no photos
            > because nothing has been produced yet. Here is a quote from the
            > manufacturer. "Subscription for "J" Class 2-8-2 and Tender. Cast
            > pewter, bead blasted matte black with receivers for body mounted
            > couplers, decals for three (3) roads (PRR, NYC, CNW). $65 for the
            > engine, $60 for the tender, $100 for both, $500 for a set decorated
            > to specification. Advance paid reservations for September 26
            > delivery." Also in September there will be a Catologue of Z parts
            > for the assembly of your own 'J' class from boiler up.
            > I'm not sure why the manufacturer asked me not to reveal their id.
            > I was true to my word on previous postings. As for the Heavyweights
            > I'll invite you over to see my set running on the Northern
            > Division. If I live long enough you can invite me over to see Brand
            > X's versions. lol Lastly, I am merely a bushbeater on these
            > additions to Z steam. I have no stake in Searails either
            > financially or otherwise. Personally, I can't wait until 2020 or
            > even 2010 to have my Z dreams fulfilled. I'll be happy with what I
            > can get, when I can get it. Cheers, Jim CCRR
            >
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Jim,
            > >
            > > Me and some other list subscribers have guessed
            > > that the manufacturer is Searails. I doubt that many of us
            > > will "pre-order" something sight unseen or even attributed.
            > >
            > > Don't get me wrong. I am very interested in the Mikado shell
            > > and the Heavyweight Passenger Cars. But a shadow
            > > looms over this endeavor by the lack of pictures and
            > > openness concerning the product origin.
            > >
            > > Please urge your associate to post some pictures of the
            > > actual items as built or installed, even if only "pre-production".
            > > It will help the sale of these items far more than just a verbal
            > > description.
            > >
            > > Good luck and best regardZ,
            > > Reynard
            > > On Jul 1, 2009, at 2:04 PM, Jim O'Connell wrote:
            > >

            > > > Friends, Here is the latest.
            > > > A subscription to a series of eight "heavyweight" Pullman 30's
            > > > passenger cars. Cast pewter chassis, full interiors on RP deck,
            > and
            > > > RP body shells with receivers for body mounted couplers and
            > pewter-
            > > > cast trucks. We are hoping to acquire 37" metal wheels for the
            > > > trucks, but the MTL wheels will fit as well. $75 each car, $325
            > for
            > > > any set of five (5), $500 for all eight (8). Available in Z scale.
            > > > We have been waiting for this release for over 30 years.
            > > > Subcription/reservation date is July 14, 2009. Cheers, Jim CCRR

          • Garth Hamilton
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
              So far this is all smoke and mirrors. 75 bucks for a kit passenger car is too much and your technology has not been tested and proven. I believe a pewter cast floor is to heavy way to heavy for Z Scale. Cast metal trucks again without metal wheel sets and proper formed axle holes do not perform well. Have done it in Nn3 so I know this is not good and they are even worse with MTL wheelsets.

              Smoke and mirrors does not work for me. You need to produce preliminary models and decorate them and get them running and see what will pull your 8 car train. Probably a powered pair of F7a and F7b but not much else. I have powered pair of PAs from the Liberty Trains and 10 coaches and it takes both units to pull this train and then just on the flat. Body mount couplers are not going to work for most people either. Most do not have the track work to support this type of car with body mounted couplers. 500.00 bucks for 8 cars really limits this to the elite with cash to burn in my estimation. It will probably look good on the shelf.

              The same for the 2-8-2 project. We need more specifics, pictures, chassis with new shell all this sort of stuff. These are all dreams there is no substance to this stuff. It is easy to say yeah I want it but at this point I won't put my money down for it.

              I am all for new products but this hobby needs more than talk to secure these new ideas and get them off the ground.

              cheers
              Garth

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2009
                Hi Garth, You would know this for stuff for sure. I actually mentioned about pewter cast floors being too heavy. Not sure if I received an answer. Searails has my 3 pole chassis (it runs better than my two 5 poles!) They will do enough testing to get it as close to one Mikado as they can. On the Northern Division I will only have the bagage car and a couple of coaches so I'm not worried about my Mikado pulling this train. Good point on curve radius. The heavies were about 77ft. I think. They will certainly look better on curves than smoothsides. That said, I'm not sure many of the 'new' Z scale modelers will be interested in these products anyway. The target demographic are owners of Marklin Mikados and those who are addicted to steam and pre WWII operations. If some newbies get on board that would be great. I don't expect someone with the "Walnut" circle of track to be interested at all. MTL has just announced passenger wheels and trucks. Since they won't sell to Searails you can understand why you will have to buy from MTL, $7 more. Worth it to me, maybe not to you. I don't think the heavyweights are a kit either. Certainly they come apart for interior decorating and painting the car in you favorite colors. Sounds good to me because that is the way I want mine, undecorated. Searails came out with the R12(?) loco two months ago. I'm not sure if they met there sales quota. Usually 50 units. Do you think Searails will make any money selling 50 units? I don't think so. We finally have someone who has the sack to step up and see if they can fill a void in Z scale. They are willing to support those in Z that want there products. They are announcing 3 more diesel shells. They must be selling. I'm only interested in seeing steam grow so I'm not privy to any inside numbers. Ultimately, the market will be the great arbitor. You can play any part you wish in this story. The skeptic, or dreamer, or something in between. If Searails makes it's quota, then you and Reynard can hop on board the next train run paying more money, or not. That's the beauty of all this. You buys your ticket and takes your chances. Many of us will probably take a chance. Again absolutely no interest in Searails other than full support for products new to Z steam. If they not up to snuff then I'm sure we will all learn something. I'm taking my chances. Cheers, Jim CCRR