Re: Transmitting Sound by the Tracks

  • Jeff BAZ-man
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2009
      I don't know any sites explaning this and a quick search only comes up with common DC and DCC components. I am wondering if this goes back to the AC rail days and Neil Young's (yes, that Neil Young) patent for Sound for Model Railroading.

      To send it down the rails, the problem is isolating the motor's low impedance, essentially adsorbing the higher frequencies. Components can be used to reduce this effect but electrical contact variations would drive this design crazy in my opinion. The components for this are more practical in larger scales. The speaker itself will loo

      Even with off the shelf DC and DCC decoders, as Alan says, the sound is limited to just the highest of frequencies. One scheme here is Surroundtrax using block detection and under layout speakers that provide better sound but also only for DCC. MRC's (K-E-Y, m-o-u . . . .) Synchro Sound for DC uses a single speaker under the layout:
      http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=7739

      Jeff
      SF Bay Area Z