Re: [z_scale] Converting Micro-Trains F7 chassis to narrow-body

  • John Jabour
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2001
      David
      I wasn't the person who wrote the original E-mail but have
      been waiting for the reply. I believe I know the answer
      because I've built a few GP-38 out of a MT F7.
      Here goes:
      Disassemble a MT F7 ($85). Save the complete trucks and the
      worms with shafts. Put the rest of the parts you have on
      your counter in the spares box.
      Buy some brass stock (got mine from grizzley.com)
      Machine 2 new side frames. (2.5 hours of labor and have access
      to a milling machine - cost me $1000)
      Buy a Faulhber 8mm dual shaft motor ($45 - 55 - depending on quantity).
      Machine 2 flywheels (but be careful because the motor
      has different size shafts on each end) 1.0 hours of labor and
      access to a lathe - cost me $500). Also need the correct small drill bits.
      Make a plastic motor mount for the motor. (haven't figured
      out the best way to do this - currently hand made)
      Figure out a good way to get the power from the wheels
      to the motor (haven't figured out the best way yet - currently
      just solder on wires but disassembly is difficult).
      Make a GP-38 shell (or use a Rogue shell if you are lucky
      enought to have one - I have 1/2 dozen of them $50 each).
      Add a light
      Done
      If I ever get this down to a science, I will offer some for sale.
      John