Fw: [z_scale] Locomotive current demands

  • Steve Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 1999
      Sorry, didn't mean to sound dismissive. Perhaps I've just been lucky. Yes,
      I've had a few that wouldn't run and fortunately got the power off in time
      for them to be cleaned out - but this was the "old oil" problem. I think
      maybe the composition of Marklin's oil has changed over the years because
      it doesn't seem to happen so much now.

      I don't usually run a new loco without a dab of oil, but the exceptions are
      cases where M. has definitely oiled it at the factory - one has to check
      these days I'm afraid.

      My point (er, I think) was that once attended to properly, they will run
      hot, but this (up to a point) is ok. Does it make me nervous - of course,
      but some N scale makes are even worse for heat. We have an N scale
      manufacturer called Graham Farish (very good too - for N :-) whose old
      3-pole motors regularly ran far too hot to touch after about 5 mins.

      Anyway, I've survived so far without an "incident", but perhaps I'm due one
      - but please, not the grey Insider 2-10-0......

      Happy Rails

      "To be free, to be who you are"