Re: A Note Of Thanks

  • Garth Hamilton
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 4, 2009
      Mark the Bachelor

      GG1's have been made by Marklin and have been around in two or three different paint schemes.

      Goto Google and type in Marklin GG1 and follow the links and I saw at least 4 on sale this morning doing this.

      Metal wheel sets are available check out Republic Locomotive Works so Google on republic locomotives works then search for metal wheels on the RLW site.

      Then for lighting search for Richmond Controls and have a look there. There will not be anything specific there but lots of tools for the job with micro LEDs and such. Do the cars have interiors? might need to solve that before lighting them.

      Curved turnouts
      Fast Tracks can produce jigs which would allow you to build your own curved turnouts and make a few more to sell to others.

      While not all of this is Ready To Run right off the shelf (RTR) there are solutions to just about anything needed in Z it is just a matter of how much of your time and dollars you want to put into it to get what you want.

      While I do not know what decoder works best in the F7 and how to install it Glen at wheelwipers.com does and he also is a member of this group.

      cheers
      Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Edwards" <mrex@...> wrote:

      > Now Loren,
      >
      > What I really want to know is, how am I going to light those passenger consists coming out of MTL if they have plastic wheelsets? And what decoder fits in an MTL F7? And when can we expect an MTL GG1? Can't they make curved turnouts, just like Marklin? And what about signaling, can't they make a signal or two?
      >
      > But I think you probably have more on your plate than you can handle. Its not easy living with a Scooter Chick...
      >
      > Signed,
      > Mark The Bachelor
      > :)
      >
      > P.S. Don't get me wrong, I love MTL. They are doing great work, I thank you again for those locs, and I hope they keep expanding so I have more reasons not to keep buying from M.

    • Don A
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 4, 2009
        Glen Chenier has installed Digitrax DZ125 and his wheel wipers in both an F7A & F7B for me. Both are now excellent runners especially at very slow speed.

        ...don

        [snip]

      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 6, 2009
          In a message dated 6/3/09 11:45:05 PM, mrex@... writes:

          > P.S. The double slip switch has been a beyotch...

          Mark,

          You are so right about the double slip switch. Most of use avoid it all
          together in our layouts. It has not been the most reliable piece of hardware.

          Like you, I think all of us started with a naked layout. LOL! I still have
          one that I use for testing. Scenery is a lot of fun and adds an all new
          dimension to the trains. I definitely think it is worth trying out, even if it
          is just a building or two and a few trees on one of your 'half' naked
          layouts. :)

          Have fun!
          Rob

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com
          www.ztrackcenter.com
          Distributor American Z Line

        • Mark Edwards
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 7, 2009
            Hey Guys,

            I want to sum up this thread by saying thanks again, I've read all the replies, and as usual they are worth their weight in Gold. Now if only we can find out how much a forum post weighs in Gold?

            :)

            Loren, I want to say I was only teasing, I know you can't answer all the burning questions in this hobby. You are my Z Dealer of choice, I only wish I had more buckz to spend with you. I think of you every time these locs run, and again when I find that PDF of the MTL flyer in my email. You are Z King of Rolling Ztock.

            And for those with advice about passenger car lighting, installing decoders, etc., thanks for your replies. I know the tech for Z is still nascent yet expanding, and I love that. Necessity is the Mother of Invention, and I see that process at work here. The photography, the scenery, and the detail that I see feels quite beyond me, yet somehow you all put it together in amazing ways.

            I know all of the issues I raised in my reply to Loren's post have been conquored with great success. It is from lurking in this forum and then following up on Google searches that I have learned of Digitrax DZ125 installs in Mikado locs, beautiful Z layout displays in recent train shows with fully lighted passenger consists, and hobby clubs that hook up independantly built modules into running layouts that work.

            More importantly, in the HO world, none of the market leaders are accessible. (Note: this is my own experience, YMMV.) Yet with one post I've had a few replies from some of the *Major* leaders in this little world of Z. This makes everything feel far more accessible than all the comms I've had in the rest of this hobby world, including unanswered emails to MRR and Digitrax.

            I *do* love this gauge, and so do my friends. I couldn't have done it without you.

            -- Mark Z Newb
          • Loren
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 7, 2009
              Mark,

              Thank you for the kudos, but as you said, there a lot of us Z scalers out
              here with experience and knowledge gained from time in grade and we're
              having more fun than should be legal....and we all want very little more
              than to see the "newbie" conquer his issues as a new comer and become a
              veteran in their own right. I well remember my first days....dumb as the
              hills but full of energy to succeed. I'm not quite as dumb now because I
              have succeeded to some extent and I'm pleased for that.

              With that said, there are still many areas I know nothing about even though
              I've met a number of the truly great modelers that are movers and shakers.
              The numbers continue to grow each day and one of these days you'll be
              handing out advice with confidence because you went there and did that and
              now you can see some of the errors you may have made, but also you can see
              where you have mastered certain skills and maybe even invented a better way
              to do some of the basics or even come up with new ideas.

              There is only one direction to go in Z scale and that is forward. And the
              best part....we're in this together, all of us.

              This is a very cool hobby and one for which I am so glad I got involved in.
              Very few would disagree about the joy of discovering Z scale. True, it
              isn't for everyone, but for most of those who do give it the old college
              try, they are usually rewarded beyond the measure they expected.

              And it grows every day with new tricks, products, ideas and knowledge.

              Z is the future of model railroading if you want a challenge and get the
              most bang for your buck in the area of layout for a given space. I imagine
              as time goes on we will begin to see the growth of home layouts that are
              really comparable to other empires in the larger scales.

              So, to paraphrase Capt. Kirk....."space......the area we are exploring and
              filling up with wonders to behold and dazzle."

              I can't tell you how much a forum post weighs, but it has to be less than a
              hive of Z scale bees.. :o)

              OBTW, if you sell the kids, the boat, the dune buggy, the sports car, (keep
              the dog) you'll have lots more money to send me.
              uh huh....

              Keep the Z juices flowing,

              > I want to sum up this thread by saying thanks again, I've read all the
              > replies, and as usual they are worth their weight in Gold. Now if only we
              > can find out how much a forum post weighs in Gold?
              >
              > :)
              >
              > Loren, I want to say I was only teasing, I know you can't answer all the
              > burning questions in this hobby. You are my Z Dealer of choice, I only
              > wish I had more buckz to spend with you. I think of you every time these
              > locs run, and again when I find that PDF of the MTL flyer in my email.
              > You are Z King of Rolling Ztock.
              >
              > And for those with advice about passenger car lighting, installing
              > decoders, etc., thanks for your replies. I know the tech for Z is still
              > nascent yet expanding, and I love that. Necessity is the Mother of
              > Invention, and I see that process at work here. The photography, the
              > scenery, and the detail that I see feels quite beyond me, yet somehow you
              > all put it together in amazing ways.
              >
              > I know all of the issues I raised in my reply to Loren's post have been
              > conquored with great success. It is from lurking in this forum and then
              > following up on Google searches that I have learned of Digitrax DZ125
              > installs in Mikado locs, beautiful Z layout displays in recent train shows
              > with fully lighted passenger consists, and hobby clubs that hook up
              > independantly built modules into running layouts that work.
              >
              > More importantly, in the HO world, none of the market leaders are
              > accessible. (Note: this is my own experience, YMMV.) Yet with one post
              > I've had a few replies from some of the *Major* leaders in this little
              > world of Z. This makes everything feel far more accessible than all the
              > comms I've had in the rest of this hobby world, including unanswered
              > emails to MRR and Digitrax.
              >
              > I *do* love this gauge, and so do my friends. I couldn't have done it
              > without you.
              >
              > -- Mark Z Newb
            • Mark Edwards
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 7, 2009
                OOOooooo I can't resist.

                Please forgive me Loren, but in the vein of Lolcats:

                > OBTW, if you sell the kids, the boat, the dune buggy, the sports car, (keep
                > the dog) you'll have lots more money to send me.
                > uh huh....

                I haz kidz, boatz, dune buggyz, a furrarri, *en* a dog? If I sellz dog, I can haz cheezeburger?

                Signed,
                Cheeky New Yorker
              • Don A
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 7, 2009
                  ..and there is your solution Loren. You buy the kids, the boat, the dune buggy, the sports car; he has to keep the dog since you have a house full of cats....but he will have lots of money to buy your Z.

                  ...don

                  [ snip ] "OBTW, if you sell the kids, the boat, the dune buggy, the sports car, (keep the dog) you'll have lots more money to send me.
                  uh huh....

                  Loren"
                • Loren
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 7, 2009
                    Cheezeburger yes.......hold the mayo.......

                    > Please forgive me Loren, but in the vein of Lolcats:
                    >
                    >> OBTW, if you sell the kids, the boat, the dune buggy, the sports car,
                    >> (keep
                    >> the dog) you'll have lots more money to send me.
                    >> uh huh....
                    >
                    > I haz kidz, boatz, dune buggyz, a furrarri, *en* a dog? If I sellz dog, I
                    > can haz cheezeburger?
                    >
                    > Signed,
                    > Cheeky New Yorker
                  • Loren
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 7, 2009
                      Don,
                      We don't need or want any more kids, boat or dune buggy.....(humm, I have to
                      think twice about the dune buggy)
                      No dog cause Karin says dogs drool, cats rule!!

                      Hey Karin is in your neck of the woods now. She arrived this afternoon.
                      Expect a call from her. She has your MTL items and some extra goodies I
                      think........and not because you have been a good boy or anything like
                      that.....just because.. :o)

                      Loren

                      PS Maybe you would be wise to beware of strangers bearing gifts? I
                      understand you guys are going to chow down in a day or so. Wish I could
                      chow with you folks.......no one chows better then me except Jim Manley. Of
                      course when it comes to Jim we don't call it chowing. It's more like
                      wolfing and scarfing. Jim's the pro all the way.

                      Tell Judy "Hi" for me. Sorry I couldn't make it this year, but someone has
                      to keep Joe in line and buy his pie.

                      > ..and there is your solution Loren. You buy the kids, the boat, the dune
                      > buggy, the sports car; he has to keep the dog since you have a house full
                      > of cats....but he will have lots of money to buy your Z.
                      >
                      > ...don
                    • Don A
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 7, 2009
                        O.K. I guess I misunderstood as I thought she was driving. Anyway, Judy & I will treat her well. None of the scooter chasing Loren does. She said she would call once her time-zone clock gets adjusted and she knows what her plans are.

                        ...don