Re: [Z_Scale] DCC in Marklin

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
      > Is there a way to install a DCC decoder and speaker in this tiny body? Any advise on where to look for instructions on how? Where to purchase a small decoder and speaker?

      Smallest DCC sound decoders are CT Electronk ones and they are bigger
      than the 8800. There are some really hard mechanical limits on speaker
      design and also on amp size for DCC sound decoders so they don't simply
      melt. Sound is really tight in bigger N scale locos let alone Z.

      Fortunately you can cheat, especially on Z when layouts are relatively
      small sized. There are track sensor triggered surround sound systems that
      tie into some DCC software (RR & Co I believe) and use under baseboard
      speakers to track sound around the layout using the same technology as
      your DVD surround sound.

      > If not, then how 'bout lights for AC/DC transformer? Smallest lights I have been able to find are these 1.8mm bulbs (http://site.modeltrainsoftware.com/bulbsize.jpg) and not sure if they would work or how to install/wire them.

      You might get lights in but it would be tight - fibre optic is the normal
      way to run the light from a tiny LED to the right spots on a loco.

      Alan
    • shouldbesad1
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
        Ok, while I'm researching the above info, what do you think about installing a decoder, speaker, and light in a tender. The wires and a fiber optic line could be run along the new MT coupler (or the Marklin coupler)?

        Diane
      • Michael Crane
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
          I have a really nice Marklin BR10 that has been made into a Digital Loco by Michael Bahls.

          I have attached a picture and hopefully you can see it ok. He also adds smoke generators, as seen here -

          http://www.michael-bahls.de/indexVI.html

          Regards,

          Michael.