DCC in Marklin

  • shouldbesad1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
      Well, while I have my Marklin Mini-club 8800 0-6-0 locomotive torn apart to install the new couplers (thanks for all of your advice; I am going to attempt the change), I started thinking about lights and sound. Head lights, tail lights, curb lights, steam chugging...

      Is there a way to install a DCC decoder and speaker in this tiny body? Any advise on where to look for instructions on how? Where to purchase a small decoder and speaker?

      If not, then how 'bout lights for AC/DC transformer? Smallest lights I have been able to find are these 1.8mm bulbs (http://site.modeltrainsoftware.com/bulbsize.jpg) and not sure if they would work or how to install/wire them.

      I am new to all of this so am I getting in over my head here? Dreaming a big dream? Isn't that what this miniature world is, a dream land? :)

      Thank you,
      Diane
    • Larry Card
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
        > Is there a way to install a DCC decoder and speaker in this tiny body? Any advise on where to look for instructions on how? Where to purchase a small decoder and speaker?

        Check with the Nn3 list, there's at least one tank engine built on that chassis that I know of that has DCC and lights. I think it had to be re-motored to make everything fit, but I could be wrong. I know it does take a bit of machining to clear a spot for the decoder and the light. Speakers I'm not so sure of, I think that may be a bit of a stretch. There isn't but so much room on the 0-6-0 chassis after all.

        > I am new to all of this so am I getting in over my head here? Dreaming a big dream? Isn't that what this miniature world is, a dream land? :)

        Over your head, maybe, but that's where the fun is!

        V/R
        Larry P. Card
        Franklinton NC

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
          > Is there a way to install a DCC decoder and speaker in this tiny body? Any advise on where to look for instructions on how? Where to purchase a small decoder and speaker?

          Smallest DCC sound decoders are CT Electronk ones and they are bigger
          than the 8800. There are some really hard mechanical limits on speaker
          design and also on amp size for DCC sound decoders so they don't simply
          melt. Sound is really tight in bigger N scale locos let alone Z.

          Fortunately you can cheat, especially on Z when layouts are relatively
          small sized. There are track sensor triggered surround sound systems that
          tie into some DCC software (RR & Co I believe) and use under baseboard
          speakers to track sound around the layout using the same technology as
          your DVD surround sound.

          > If not, then how 'bout lights for AC/DC transformer? Smallest lights I have been able to find are these 1.8mm bulbs (http://site.modeltrainsoftware.com/bulbsize.jpg) and not sure if they would work or how to install/wire them.

          You might get lights in but it would be tight - fibre optic is the normal
          way to run the light from a tiny LED to the right spots on a loco.

          Alan
        • shouldbesad1
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
            Ok, while I'm researching the above info, what do you think about installing a decoder, speaker, and light in a tender. The wires and a fiber optic line could be run along the new MT coupler (or the Marklin coupler)?

            Diane
          • Michael Crane
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
              I have a really nice Marklin BR10 that has been made into a Digital Loco by Michael Bahls.

              I have attached a picture and hopefully you can see it ok. He also adds smoke generators, as seen here -

              http://www.michael-bahls.de/indexVI.html

              Regards,

              Michael.