Marklin coupler conversion

  • shouldbesad1
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
      I have an older 8800 Marklin 0-6-0 locomotive that I would like to change the couplers to the Micro-Trains Magne-matic couplers. I have found in this article http://www.zscale.org/articles/couplers.html where they suggest using a 901 medium or 902 short shank coupler. What is the difference? Is this a project I can do myself?

      Also, which is the best type of magnetic uncoupler track or gizmo to use for uncoupling hands-free. (building a coffee table layout under glass)

      I am new at model railroading and very much appreciate all the info on this board.

      Thank you much,
      Diane
    • Loren
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hi Diane,

        Welcome to the Zmall world, where size does matter in a wonderful way......

        Yes, you can do the change out IF you can work with very small parts and
        have decent eye sight and manual dexterity.
        It may try your patience a bit, but others, (including myself) have done
        this change out.

        The difference between the 901 and 902 is strictly in the length of the
        shank. The 902 is about 1mm shorter than the 901.
        BTW, the 901 is no longer made but I have some in stock if you wish to use
        the longer shank. I believe most have used the 902 although I can't vouch
        for that.

        Probably what you want for uncoupling would be the MTL #988 00 211. Two per
        package. The uncoupling magnets are placed under the ties and hidden from
        view by ballast. There is some tutorial somewhere to show examples, but for
        the life of me, I can't find it now. Just ask and someone will stear you in
        the right direction.

        Welcome and please share some photos when you can of your project,

        All the best,
        Loren
        Z Train Things

      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
          Diane,
          The good news is that as far as coupler conversion goes, the 0-6-0 is
          probably the easiest. The 0-6-0 couplers can be accessed just by pulling off the
          gear cover on the bottom of the loc. I have used the 902 couplers on the
          0-6-0 and they seem to work OK. The conversion isn't so much difficult as it
          is frustrating (or at least it can be). The pieces are small, and the
          springs seem to have a mid of their own. The MT coupler tweezers do help. And
          running a fine thread through the spring until it is in place helps to
          prevent them from becoming airborne.
          Dan S.

          In a message dated 6/1/2009 2:58:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          shouldbefool1@... writes:

          I have an older 8800 Marklin 0-6-0 locomotive that I would like to change
          the couplers to the Micro-Trains Magne-matic couplers. I have found in this
          article http://www.zscale.org/articles/couplers.html where they suggest
          using a 901 medium or 902 short shank coupler. What is the difference? Is
          this a project I can do myself?

          Also, which is the best type of magnetic uncoupler track or gizmo to use
          for uncoupling hands-free. (building a coffee table layout under glass)

          I am new at model railroading and very much appreciate all the info on
          this board.

          Thank you much,
          Diane

          Steps!
          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377040x1201454360/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
          eExcfooterNO62)

        • Jeff BAZ-man
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
            Diane, I can't quickly find the link with detailed pictures of the 'how-to' but after you get the MTL parts, you'll need to put them in the Märklin coupler pocket. To do this, get a large towel to work on. This is to collect and parts that fall out, mainly the spring in the coupler. MTL gives you a few but you may one to save the one that you'll take out of the Märklin. You'll need a sparp new Xacto knife and some sewing thread.

            Bunch up the towel to hold the loco bottom up. Use the Xacto knife to try and pry up as much of the black plastic that covers the metal cover on the coupler. You want to preserve as much as possible to help reseal the cover. Don't worry, you can reseal it otherwise. Note the spring under the coupler, you can use the Xacto knife tip to hold in place while you take the Märklin coupler out.

            Prepare the MTL coupler as instructed in their included in documentation and place it in the coupler box. To help get the spring in, you can either 'hold' it by touching the tip of the Xacto knife near the end of the spring (tension will hold it) or, thread the sewing thread threw it and place the spring in place. Place cover in place (make sure the coupler is correctly oriented (the trip pin that normally hangs down should now be pointing your direction)). Press down on the black residual mounting posts you earlier preened up. If you have something hot like a soldering iron tip or something that can be heated with a lighter, you can use that to "reseal" with what is left over. If there was nothing left (you could not get the cover off without removing it all), then you will have to glue it down. Plastic model glue works OK, just make sure it dries for an hour or so. You can also use CA (a.k.a. Super Glue) but make sure you put it on a sewing needle/pin as a FILM, not a drop so you don't flood the coupler !!! Make sure the coupler freely moves before you use CA.

            You can also find more Z info at the following links hosted by David K Smith:

            http://americanzscale.org/list.asp?t=4
            http://1-220.blogspot.com/

            Jeff
            SF Bay Area Z

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

            > Hi Diane,
            >
            > Welcome to the Zmall world, where size does matter in a wonderful way......
            >
            > Yes, you can do the change out IF you can work with very small parts and
            > have decent eye sight and manual dexterity.
            > It may try your patience a bit, but others, (including myself) have done
            > this change out.
            >
            > The difference between the 901 and 902 is strictly in the length of the
            > shank. The 902 is about 1mm shorter than the 901.
            > BTW, the 901 is no longer made but I have some in stock if you wish to use
            > the longer shank. I believe most have used the 902 although I can't vouch
            > for that.
            >
            > Probably what you want for uncoupling would be the MTL #988 00 211. Two per
            > package. The uncoupling magnets are placed under the ties and hidden from
            > view by ballast. There is some tutorial somewhere to show examples, but for
            > the life of me, I can't find it now. Just ask and someone will stear you in
            > the right direction.
            >

            > Welcome and please share some photos when you can of your project,
            >
            > All the best,
            > Loren
            > Z Train Things

          • Mark Edwards
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
              Hi Jeff,

              Thanks for this.

              --Mark
            • shouldbesad1
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
                Thank you all for the info. I am definitely going to order new couplers and give this a go. These Marklin couplers are too toy looking for what I want on my layout. Gotta make it 'real' (or as close as I can get).

                Diane
              • Alex
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 26, 2011
                  I recently aquired a Marklin #81438 "Diamond Special Train Set" Illinois Central Railroad.

                  I want to convert all the Marklin couplers to knuckle-style. Yes... I know about "The Zelatory" conversion kits. But... I would like to hear from folks that have performed the conversions themselves, with or without using the Zelatory kits. Or... Does anyone know of someone with experiance in performing the conversions for a fee?

                  ThankZ,

                  Alex
                • rvn20012000
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 27, 2011
                    I haven't used the Zelatory conversion kits, since they weren't available when I converted mine but they might be the easiest way.

                    There are 2 other ways to do the conversion. You can remove the Marklin couplers and boxes from the trucks and install body-mount couplers to the cars or you can replace the Marklin couplers with short shank couplers from Micro Trains. I would opt for the body-mount couplers if I were to do it again. The only thing you need to be careful about is to remove just the coupler box and leave the piece that helps hold the axle in place.

                    To replace the Marklin couplers you need to either slice off the tips of the plastic pins that hold the metal cover in place on the Marklin coupler box or pry the metal cover off and hope you can get it back on. Once you've replaced the coupler with the short shank MTL coupler you will need to re-melt the plastic pins with either a hot pin or needle or hot soldering iron. You need to be careful to not melt the pins too much or the coupler won't work.

                    Thom Welsch

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <techrepjapan@...> wrote:

                    > I recently aquired a Marklin #81438 "Diamond Special Train Set" Illinois Central Railroad.
                    >
                    > I want to convert all the Marklin couplers to knuckle-style. Yes... I know about "The Zelatory" conversion kits. But... I would like to hear from folks that have performed the conversions themselves, with or without using the Zelatory kits. Or... Does anyone know of someone with experiance in performing the conversions for a fee?
                    >
                    > ThankZ,
                    >
                    > Alex

                  • Lee Barry
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 27, 2011
                      Alex, Lee again. Contact Loren Snyder or Jim O'Connell