Re: A new guy

  • Don A
    Message 1 of 50 , May 30 1:47 PM
      Here is a track "cleaner" I have not heard anyone mention before. It is a composite wood material. You can get a strip about 1" x 1.5" x 8 feet at Lowes or Home Depot etc for just a couple of dollars. Normally it is used for trim work in kitchen & bathrooms and is usually prepainted or pre-primed in white. I cut a few pieces to about 4" in length for easy grip. Use a sharp blade in the circular saw. Rub the freshly cut end firmly to hard on the track and you will remove enough scum and oxidation to build another layout. Essentially this material is sanding the track - but for two things. A] The coarseness is extremely fine like a 1000 sandpaper and B] because it is MUCH softer than the track, no track damage is done. To bring back the sanding surface just take a belt sander or orbital etc and LIGHTLY sand the end for another fresh surface. You can not believe how oxidized the track gets and you can feel a big difference between dirty and clean track as you polish it. One nice thing is there is no residue left on the track - no crud for the wheels to pick up. If you are concerned about dust just give your wood piece a good wipe with a cloth before using.

      ...don

      > Hi Dave,
      > Yeah, that's been experience with F7's as well.
      > They get stiff as heck (cranky) if you don't play with them that often,
      > even resorting to a jitter-bug dance when their feeling lonely.
      > Kinda noisy too, like you're grinding coffee...
      >
      > As for track cleaning: The Relco high frequency dirt zapper
      > can help, but isopropyl alcohol (90%) adds the finishing touch.
      >
      > Your power pack is fine. Stone reliable and designed for Z.
      >
      > best regardZ,
      > Reynard
      > On May 30, 2009, at 11:41 AM, David Freehling wrote:
      >

      > > keep running it! they get better with use.
      > > dave f.
      > >
      > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "wallywaldau" <wallywaldau@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > ... Loren's transition car arrived today along with the MTL F7A &
      > > B from Norm's. So this weekend, the other scales can scream all
      > > they want while I test out the F7's pulling power...
      > > >
      > > > However, unlike my Kato N stuff bought recently, the MTL F7 did
      > > not run smoothly right out of the box - in fact one or two of my 20
      > > year F7s which have been laying around for several months ran as
      > > well or better(but still in fits and spits). So I think I may have
      > > a track cleaning issue. The track is MTL. My power pack is an old
      > > standard Marklin Z pack. Any suggestions?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > >
      > > > Wally Waldau
      > > > Lompoc

    • Glen Chenier
      Message 50 of 50 , Jun 1, 2009
        Thanks Don and Garth, but the ISP broke my websites. Until I figure out how to fix them, those interested in wheelwipers and LED headlights for the MTL F7 can email me offline,
        " glen at teetertottertreestuff dot com "
        for info and installation instructions. (Note one 'n' in 'glen')