Interesting find new tool work foam which never intented for

  • thomasc600
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2009
      Was talking thur nite with very smart people in Z scale gave me lots good tips.thank you sir, so did litte expermenting. going out town for week end. after using tool found due doule Sshape cures going down hill pulling 14 passanger cars on 3/4 inch drop in 2 feet no derailments first tine hum just fluke but tried it few more times different area of foam same great results i get back in town get name of the tool was very reasonable. thomas
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2009
        Thomas,

        I apologize, but... I have absolutely no clue what you are trying to communicate in your message.

        Alex
        Tokyo, Japan

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "thomasc600" <thomasc600@...> wrote:

        > Was talking thur nite with very smart people in Z scale gave me lots good tips.thank you sir, so did litte expermenting. going out town for week end. after using tool found due doule Sshape cures going down hill pulling 14 passanger cars on 3/4 inch drop in 2 feet no derailments first tine hum just fluke but tried it few more times different area of foam same great results i get back in town get name of the tool was very reasonable. thomas
      • David Freehling
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2009
          alex,
          i think thomas found a foam-working tool (sureform??) with which to cut a track-bed. he made grades and a set of S curves with great success. he tried again on another area of foam to be sure of his results. he doesn't give us the name of the tool, but it seems it was suggested by some Z scalers he spoke with. he will tell us when he gets back into town. that's what i get out of the message.
          dave f.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2009
            David,

            Thank you for the translation!

            Alex

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Freehling" <pinekirk@...> wrote:

            > alex,
            > i think thomas found a foam-working tool (sureform??) with which to cut a track-bed. he made grades and a set of S curves with great success. he tried again on another area of foam to be sure of his results. he doesn't give us the name of the tool, but it seems it was suggested by some Z scalers he spoke with. he will tell us when he gets back into town. that's what i get out of the message.
            > dave f.
          • Jeff BAZ-man
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
              I think he was talking about a conversation with me. Thomas wanted to have a 1/4 - 3/4" (6-17mm) elevated roadbed over the surrounding terrain. I suggested using foam (not the white 'pearl' based messy stuff !!!). Use Stanley SurForm Shaver which has a short 2" (5cm) semi-round scraping surface makes it easy to shape the edges. They will be a bit rough so follow with sand paper (very little effort).

              He was going to use hardboard for everything, placing cut 1/4" foam (flexible packing material-like) where the track goes. Since he wanted a small creek and some town-like area, I suggested all foam and scrape out most all of the area. This way, only the track is flat and everything else lower and not flat (very natural).

              Jeff
              SF Bay Area Z Scale