re: trestle bridge

  • Daniel Baechtold
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28 5:27 AM
      Hi all,

      please have a look at
      http://www.sammler-service.com/Fundgrube/Grube%20N.htm#FUNDGRUBE

      and tell me what you think about the N-scale trestle CAMPBELL 200-754 Tall
      Curved Trestle width 21,2 cm, height 8,1 cm.

      Would that be something for Z?

      Thanks and best wishes, Daniel

      --
      Daniel Baechtold
      Jurastrasse 37

      http://dbaechtold.gmxhome.de
      d.baechtold@...
      daniel.baechtold@...
    • jmac_han@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28 5:54 AM
        Hi Daniel,

        I'm seriously considering using this particular bridge as part of the
        new 4th section of the Val Ease Central. I'm playing with a track
        plan that involves a deep ravine and the curved trestle is ideal for
        crossing it. I already built the trestle for my former N scale home
        layout. It is one of the surviving pieces left over from its
        demolition.

        Cheers,
        JRM

      • kim@blueneptune.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 28 8:19 AM
          Here is a site that shows how to build a trestle for a larger scale,
          if you plan to build one for Z you can get some tips here
          http://members.fortunecity.com/gknowles/articles/trestle.htm
          -Kim

        • pjtansey@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 31 7:10 AM
            --- In z_scale@y..., kim@b... wrote:
            > Here is a site that shows how to build a trestle for a larger
            scale,
            > if you plan to build one for Z you can get some tips here
            > http://members.fortunecity.com/gknowles/articles/trestle.htm
            > -Kim
            >

            > --- In z_scale@y..., jmac_han@h... wrote:
            > > Hi Daniel,
            > >
            > > I'm seriously considering using this particular bridge as part of
            > the
            > > new 4th section of the Val Ease Central. I'm playing with a
            track
            > > plan that involves a deep ravine and the curved trestle is ideal
            for
            > > crossing it. I already built the trestle for my former N scale
            home
            > > layout. It is one of the surviving pieces left over from its
            > > demolition.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > JRM
            > >

            > > --- In z_scale@y..., Daniel Baechtold <d.baechtold@g...> wrote:
            > > > Hi all,
            > > >
            > > > please have a look at
            > > > http://www.sammler-service.com/Fundgrube/Grube%
            20N.htm#FUNDGRUBE

            > > > and tell me what you think about the N-scale trestle CAMPBELL
            200-
            > > 754 Tall
            > > > Curved Trestle width 21,2 cm, height 8,1 cm.
            > > >
            > > > Would that be something for Z?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks and best wishes, Daniel
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > Daniel Baechtold
            > > > Jurastrasse 37
            > > > CH-4242 Laufen
            > > > Switzerland
            > > >
            > > > http://dbaechtold.gmxhome.de
            > > > d.baechtold@g...
            > > > daniel.baechtold@f...

            All this talk of trestle bridges reminded me of an item I
            purchased on Ebay a few years ago. The bridge is about 23
            inches long and meticulously constructed, with even the
            trackwork being handlaid. The fellow who built it decided
            afterwards that he wanted to get into a larger scale instead.
            I'm still figuring out how to incorporate it into my future
            layout. Although the picture does not do justice to the
            work that went into this bridge, I have a low-res JPG of it
            at http://members.aol.com/pjtansey/images/TrestleBridge.jpg.
            Fortunately, he lives about 45 minutes from me so we did not
            have to go through the anquish of trying to ship something
            this fragile ;-)

            ...Pat
          • Ole Rosted
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31 11:30 AM
              On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:10:45 -0000, you wrote:

              Hi group,

              I have pointed your attention to

              http://expo.technocad.no/personal/sho/index_n.htm

              before, but since trestle bridges (and in special: curved ones) has
              become a subject recently, I'm quoting the link once again.

              There are so many newcomers to this list, that someone may not know
              that Svein-Martin Holt's site exist.
              His curved Z-scale trestle is very convincing. In my opinion it is a
              true marvel.
              On his site: click on the english flag in the upper left corner, the
              bridge is on the page, but click on the: pictures link to reach a page
              with a lot of pics including the trestle.
              Despite the english flag the text on the: pictures page is norwegian,
              but the pics speak their own language.

              regards Ole Rosted
            • jmac_han@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31 1:33 PM
                Yes, Ole, Svein-Martin's bridge is a work of art. You may recall
                that it was featured as a Z_Scale Cover photo early on. I also think
                that the images of his bridge could pass for close to looking like
                the real thing (an earlier thread touched on this subject).

                I'm almost ready to lay track, my friend. Got the stuff from
                Marshall Thomson, got the ties, got the rails, got the soldering
                stuff...just need the nerves of steel ;-)

                Cheers,
                Jeffrey

                --- In z_scale@y..., Ole Rosted <Ole.Rosted@g...> wrote:
                > On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:10:45 -0000, you wrote:
                >
                > Hi group,
                >
                > I have pointed your attention to
                >
                > http://expo.technocad.no/personal/sho/index_n.htm
                >
                > before, but since trestle bridges (and in special: curved ones)
                has
                > become a subject recently, I'm quoting the link once again.
                >
                > There are so many newcomers to this list, that someone may not know
                > that Svein-Martin Holt's site exist.
                > His curved Z-scale trestle is very convincing. In my opinion it is a
                > true marvel.
                > On his site: click on the english flag in the upper left corner, the
                > bridge is on the page, but click on the: pictures link to reach a
                page
                > with a lot of pics including the trestle.
                > Despite the english flag the text on the: pictures page is
                norwegian,
                > but the pics speak their own language.
                >
                > regards Ole Rosted
              • Ole Rosted
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
                  On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:33:38 -0000, you wrote:

                  Hi Jeffrey,

                  >I'm almost ready to lay track, my friend. Got the stuff from
                  >Marshall Thomson, got the ties, got the rails, got the soldering
                  >stuff...just need the nerves of steel ;-)

                  Without knowing what the expression "soldering stuff" covers,
                  I will suggest using resistance soldering. No need for nerves of steel
                  then :-)

                  I don't doubt that *you* - in contrast to me - will be able to use the
                  old fashioned way of soldering successfully, but RS *is* that much
                  easier.

                  best regards Ole
                • stamperdream@yahoo.ca
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
                    Hi Ole,

                    Of course you are right about RS (resistance soldering) being
                    the easiest and the best way of quickly and cleanly soldering
                    nickel-silver rail to copper PCB tie strips. I even have a parts list
                    for a cheap home-made RS unit.

                    I don't have all that many pieces to solder so I will use my faithful
                    soldering iron with a narrow chisel tip, some fine solder and a
                    good quality flux paste that should make the job go smoother.

                    If I were doing more than the 4 frogs on the demo section that I
                    am laying, I would go to the trouble of building the RS unit.