RE: Interchange loco shells

  • Bim Bousman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2001
      Rather than changing the shell, why not change the motor???
      For just about all except the 8805 8895 8803 you can buy a new motor for maybe
      $15US plus postage and put it in yourself.
      BB
      Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:35:04 -0000
      From: flayrah@...
      Subject: Dumb question: Interchangable loco shells?

      Are the shells from the same type Marklin locos interchangable with
      the other locos in that series, when the only visible difference is
      the paint and roadname? For example, if I wanted a 4-6-2 "Pacific"
      class B&O loco with a five pole motor (as sold, the Marklin B&O has a
      three pole), could I exchange the chassis and motor from the new
      4-6-2 Southern loco that is coming out later this year? Or by
      fiddling around with this, am I just askng for problems and would be
      better off having an approved shop install a five pole motor....or
      maybe stop my complaining and be happy with the original three
      pole? :-)
    • jcubbin@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2001
        Originally I thought the 5 pole motors would be this reasonably priced but I've heard they are now in the upper-$30's each. Does anyone know of a
        seller with $15 - $20, 5 poles motors?

        John

        --- In z_scale@y..., "Bim Bousman" <bim@s...> wrote:
        > For just about all except the 8805 8895 8803 you can buy a new motor for maybe
        > $15US plus postage and put it in yourself.
        > BB
      • D. A. Karp
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2001
          I ordered a handful of them from Lokshop in Germany (http://www.lokshop.de)
          for $15 apiece. Great service.

          At 04:51 PM 8/28/2001 +0000, you wrote:
          >Originally I thought the 5 pole motors would be this reasonably priced but
          >I've heard they are now in the upper-$30's each. Does anyone know of a
          >seller with $15 - $20, 5 poles motors?
          >
          >John

          http://www.creativelement.com/z/
        • Jim Milne
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2001
            I second that motion - My handful arrived yesterday - same price and
            fast shipping (Germany > USA)!

            Email Roland Baer at the Lokshop ( roland.baer@... ) and he
            will respond very quickly. I also believe he is a member of this
            group.

            Like David, I am a satisfied customer.
            Jim Milne