Re: [Z_Scale] Searails Shark Shells

  • John Duino
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2 3:35 PM
      Very cool! It is nice to see more/different motive power. I may have
      missed it, but have you detailed your process (mods, finishing, paint,
      etc)?

      But, boy, that profile shot just SCREAMS that we need a close-coupling
      option.

    • dpstripe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2 3:45 PM
        Close coupling MT loco trucks is easy. Just take out the screws that hold
        the couplers in, cut and drill a short piece of styrene and fasten it where
        the couplers used to be. I keep a couple of spare sets of truck sideframes
        just in case I want to separate the locs.
        Dan S.

        In a message dated 5/2/2009 6:37:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        jduino@... writes:

        But, boy, that profile shot just SCREAMS that we need a close-coupling
        option.

        **************Check all of your email inboxes from anywhere on the web.
        Try the new Email Toolbar now!
        (http://toolbar.aol.com/mail/download.html?ncid=txtlnkusdown00000027)

      • Thomas Welsch
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2 4:54 PM
          Hi John,

          Thanks. You haven't missed anything...I haven't detailed my process anywhere. It's not extremely difficult though. I removed the lightboard and lightboard lugs from the MTL GP chassis and replaced the springs with a little bead of solder between the motor lug and chassis half. I did need to machine out some of the inside of the shells to lower them. The AZL coupler on the front of the A unit is just slid in place as it will be mostly used for looks only. I cut the coupler box off of the front truck to accommodate the AZL coupler. After a little clean up and washing, I painted the clear shells with "Apple Barrel Colors" Cobalt Blue acrylic paint. I always brush-paint my models. I didn't use any primer but I did paint the inside of the shell with black paint...except where the windows are. I sanded down the MTL fuel tanks to make them flat and painted them with the same color. The decals were designed and printed on my ALPS printer by me. That's about all there was to it. I'm considering close-coupling them as Dan has suggested.

          Thanks again,
          Thom