Re: REPLACEMENT UNDECORATED MTL CONTAINERS

  • stevegail
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2 7:53 AM
      - the only issue is having 2 x 20' on top of a 40'.

      Even "real" railroads have that problem. In fact they always run 1 40' container on top of 2 20' containers (I'm sure someone will produce a photo disproving this statement), but as a practice it's always larger on top of smaller.
      --Steve from the other Phoenix
    • dpstripe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2 10:53 AM
        Containers are designed to support weight on their corners. Stacking
        shorter containers on top of longer ones could damage the longer container. That
        is why it is quite common to see even a single short container under a
        longer one.
        Dan S.

        In a message dated 5/2/2009 10:54:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        sschulman541@... writes:

        - the only issue is having 2 x 20' on top of a 40'.

        Even "real" railroads have that problem. In fact they always run 1 40'
        container on top of 2 20' containers (I'm sure someone will produce a photo
        disproving this statement), but as a practice it's always larger on top of
        smaller.
        --Steve from the other Phoenix

        **************Eat Great & Lose Weight FASTER! Start the South Beach Diet
        Online - FREE Profile!
        (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221822996x1201398599/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213623126%3B35100424%
        3Bk)

      • Joe DAmato
        Message 3 of 20 , May 3 3:18 PM
          Wrong.
          We have both the 20' and 40' containers as sheds out back and they match those dimensions...and I think the comment about them not staying together is a bit off base. In the years we have produced them, we haven't had any problems with them interlocking. They have always been packaged together in the well car and it they didn't line up they wouldn't have fit in nest.

          Joe
          MTL

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

          > On Wed Apr 29, 2009 ztrack@... wrote:
          >
          > > To place MCZ on MTL containers, you may have to affix them to keep them
          > > in place.
          >
          > Definitely. According to my micrometer, the Marklin containers (and the
          > MCZ containers they mate with) are perfectly in scale, but the MTL
          > containers are not. In my experience (admittedly limited), even the MTL
          > containers will not ride on top of each other when running. So I
          > recommend that anyone wanting to run intermodal trains should use magnets
          > or temporary adhesive to secure their topside containers. The temporary
          > adhesive is made by 3M and readily available at craft and hobby stores.
          > Deluxe Innovations sells "Container Adhesive" for this purpose, but the
          > craft store 3M version is probably cheaper.
          >
          > CheerZ,
          > -- Malcolm Z
          > MCZ Models

        • Cliff Travis
          Message 4 of 20 , May 3 7:33 PM
            Hi,
            I have also found that MTL containers fit well together as well as fitting the car with pins mating with sockets
            Cliff

            In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

            > Wrong.
            > We have both the 20' and 40' containers as sheds out back and they match those dimensions...and I think the comment about them not staying together is a bit off base. In the years we have produced them, we haven't had any problems with them interlocking. They have always been packaged together in the well car and it they didn't line up they wouldn't have fit in nest.
            >
            > Joe
            > MTL
            >
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@> wrote:
            > >

            > > On Wed Apr 29, 2009 ztrack@ wrote:
            > >
            > > > To place MCZ on MTL containers, you may have to affix them to keep them
            > > > in place.
            > >
            > > Definitely. According to my micrometer, the Marklin containers (and the
            > > MCZ containers they mate with) are perfectly in scale, but the MTL
            > > containers are not. In my experience (admittedly limited), even the MTL
            > > containers will not ride on top of each other when running. So I
            > > recommend that anyone wanting to run intermodal trains should use magnets
            > > or temporary adhesive to secure their topside containers. The temporary
            > > adhesive is made by 3M and readily available at craft and hobby stores.
            > > Deluxe Innovations sells "Container Adhesive" for this purpose, but the
            > > craft store 3M version is probably cheaper.
            > >
            > > CheerZ,
            > > -- Malcolm Z
            > > MCZ Models

          • Malcolm Cleaveland
            Message 5 of 20 , May 4 1:45 PM
              On Sat, 02 May 2009 "mompey" mompey@... wrote:

              > HI Malcolm
              > I have run 20-30 MTL huskies with 2 containers each for hours
              > and never had a problem with them falling off, infact the
              > stacking lugs work really well, the only issue is having 2 x
              > 20' on top of a 40'.

              > They look inscale to me and they are far cheaper. Im really
              > happy with them.

              > Mike..

              > > In my experience (admittedly limited), even the MTL
              > > containers will not ride on top of each other when running. So I
              > > recommend that anyone wanting to run intermodal trains should
              > > use magnets or temporary adhesive to secure their topside containers.
              > >
              > > CheerZ,
              > > -- Malcolm Z
              > > MCZ Models

              Mike,

              Glad you've had better luck than I have. Don't have much of a layout,
              maybe the trackwork is too rough. I've just had a lot of trouble getting
              the MTL containers to stay stacked. Maybe I got a bad batch.

              As far as the rest of it, all I can say is, you get what you pay for,
              and while the MTL containers are pretty close to prototype dimensions (but
              not exact), NONE of them have prototypical paint schemes.

              The fact that you would even consider putting two 20's on top of a 40'
              indicates that you should study up a little on intermodal. No one has
              ever seen one or two 20's on top of a 40' container in the real world.
              That's because only two IBCs on each 20' would be locked. Almost anything
              other than the smoothest possible ride would encourage the 20's take
              flight or damage the IBCs with strong torque.

              The Z_intermodal list would be a good place to start the learning
              process. There are also plenty of good books out there now by Jeff Wilson
              and Solomon, among others. In the past I have posted lists of reference
              books to the Z_intermodal list, and they would be available in the
              archives. Good hunting!

              CheerZ,
              -- Malcolm Z
              MCZ Models
            • Jeff BAZ-man
              Message 6 of 20 , May 4 3:18 PM
                I think he is talking about the mounting pins, not the HxWxD size.

                My containers pretty much stay together but, they can come apart if trying to pick up the car via the top container or, right between the top and bottom container (pinch point). Sometimes, both come out of the well. My solution: CA. Solves the various vendor problem too. Now they all like each other :)

                As much as I try an get in the habit of picking up cars from all the way at the track level, sometimes with get picked up from above. This is a bad habit with heavy brass, leaving the chassis someplace between the shell and track (or desk or floor) !!!

                Jeff
                SF Bay Area Z

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

                > Wrong.
                > We have both the 20' and 40' containers as sheds out back and they match those dimensions...and I think the comment about them not staying together is a bit off base. In the years we have produced them, we haven't had any problems with them interlocking. They have always been packaged together in the well car and it they didn't line up they wouldn't have fit in nest.
                >
                > Joe
                > MTL
                >
                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@> wrote:
                > >

                > > On Wed Apr 29, 2009 ztrack@ wrote:
                > >
                > > > To place MCZ on MTL containers, you may have to affix them to keep them
                > > > in place.
                > >
                > > Definitely. According to my micrometer, the Marklin containers (and the
                > > MCZ containers they mate with) are perfectly in scale, but the MTL
                > > containers are not. In my experience (admittedly limited), even the MTL
                > > containers will not ride on top of each other when running. So I
                > > recommend that anyone wanting to run intermodal trains should use magnets
                > > or temporary adhesive to secure their topside containers. The temporary
                > > adhesive is made by 3M and readily available at craft and hobby stores.
                > > Deluxe Innovations sells "Container Adhesive" for this purpose, but the
                > > craft store 3M version is probably cheaper.
                > >
                > > CheerZ,
                > > -- Malcolm Z
                > > MCZ Models

              • stevegail
                Message 7 of 20 , May 4 5:56 PM
                  Malcolm--In a previous life-time (16 years in the toy business), I did a lot of importing from the Orient and I can tell you from "cubing out containers" that there is NO such thing as a prototype dimension. Every shipper and every manufacture of containers had their own idea as to what a 40' containers cube was. Your statement is pure bunk and is only trying to justify your containers as the only ones that are correct.
                  --Steve from the other Phoenix
                  --

                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 4 6:32 PM
                    In a message dated 5/4/09 8:56:43 PM, sschulman541@... writes:

                    > Your statement is pure bunk and is only trying to justify your containers
                    > as the only ones that are correct.

                    Steve,

                    I did not think Malcolm implied that his containers are the only ones
                    correct. You have to factor in that Marklin and FR also have released containers
                    that are very good. But I will tell you this, Malcolm's MCZ line (produced
                    with FR of Germany) containers are by far the single best container in the
                    market today. Period. He has done his research own these and the quality and
                    detail are superb. The fact is, the MTL containers are very close in height
                    and width to MCZ, but they do not match. The MCZ match closely to the
                    containers of Marklin and FR which is why the containers of these companies can be
                    used together through their standard pin configurations.

                    If you would like to refute the above statement, then please do, but don't
                    attack the person. Personally, I feel Malcolm was professional is his
                    response and was not pushing his products, but sharing his experiences. But
                    frankly, he has every right to go into detail about the quality, detail and finish
                    of his line.

                    Rob

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    www.ztrack.com
                    www.ztrackcenter.com
                    Distributor American Z Line

                  • stevegail
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 4 7:29 PM

                      > In a message dated 5/4/09 8:56:43 PM, sschulman541@... writes:

                      Rob--Malcolm said "MTL containers are pretty close to prototype dimensions (but not exact)" and you said "The fact is MTL containers are very close to MCZ, but they do nor match." You can parse words all you want, but the fact is that all 40' containers are NOT the same. I satnd by my statement that Malcolm (and by inferance you, since you have a vested interest) is trying to claim that his containers (plus Marklins) are the only true to protype containers. Best regards,
                      --Steve from the other Phoenix

                      > > Your statement is pure bunk and is only trying to justify your containers
                      > > as the only ones that are correct.
                      > >

                      > Steve,
                      >
                      > I did not think Malcolm implied that his containers are the only ones
                      > correct. You have to factor in that Marklin and FR also have released containers
                      > that are very good. But I will tell you this, Malcolm's MCZ line (produced
                      > with FR of Germany) containers are by far the single best container in the
                      > market today. Period. He has done his research own these and the quality and
                      > detail are superb. The fact is, the MTL containers are very close in height
                      > and width to MCZ, but they do not match. The MCZ match closely to the
                      > containers of Marklin and FR which is why the containers of these companies can be
                      > used together through their standard pin configurations.
                      >
                      > If you would like to refute the above statement, then please do, but don't
                      > attack the person. Personally, I feel Malcolm was professional is his
                      > response and was not pushing his products, but sharing his experiences. But
                      > frankly, he has every right to go into detail about the quality, detail and finish
                      > of his line.
                      >
                      > Rob
                      >
                      > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                      > Dublin, OH 43016
                      > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                      > www.ztrack.com
                      > www.ztrackcenter.com
                      > Distributor American Z Line

                    • Kez
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 4 7:46 PM
                        What's wrong Steve? Are you having a bad day? Was this post at all necessary?
                        I don't believe that Malcolm wrote ANYTHING here to imply that his containers
                        are the only correct ones. And your experience is your experience, no one
                        else's. And if there was no such thing as prototype containers, then how come
                        all of those containers can stay together so well on a moving train? Somehow
                        they seem to match up.

                        You are out of line, and I believe you owe Malcolm AND the list an apology.

                        Please everyone, think before you post.

                        > Malcolm--In a previous life-time (16 years in the toy business), I did a lot
                        of importing from the Orient and I can tell you from "cubing out containers"
                        that there is NO such thing as a prototype dimension. Every shipper and every
                        manufacture of containers had their own idea as to what a 40' containers cube
                        was. Your statement is pure bunk and is only trying to justify your containers
                        as the only ones that are correct.
                        > --Steve from the other Phoenix
                        > --
                        > >
                        > > As far as the rest of it, all I can say is, you get what you pay for,
                        > > and while the MTL containers are pretty close to prototype dimensions (but
                        > > not exact), .

                      • Glen Chenier
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 4 8:04 PM
                          GENTLEMEN:

                          As Kez says, please contain your feelings, take a deep breathe, calm down, have a smoke if that's your thing, and think about what a comment made in a moment of anger says about you for the whole world to see. Hold off on comments until tomorrow, you may see things in a different perspective then.

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Kez" <bkeyser@...> wrote:
                          >...>
                          > You are out of line, and I believe you owe Malcolm AND the list an apology.
                          >
                          > Please everyone, think before you post.
                        • Jim O'Connell
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 4 8:28 PM
                            I don't know who is right or wrong here. I'm just glad my modeling era ends in 1940. There are so few options in Z for we steam folks that there isn't much to argue about. So calm down all. You have it better than you think. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                          • Loren
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 4 8:36 PM
                              Hey Jim,
                              Since your modeling era ends in 1940, I better not see any modern diesels
                              putt putting around your track or I'll have to issue you a 'out of era'
                              ticket, punishable by sending 100 trees to all the lady modelers in the
                              groups........wow, that could get expensive huh.

                              Z rocks,

                              >I don't know who is right or wrong here. I'm just glad my modeling era ends
                              >in 1940. There are so few options in Z for we steam folks that there isn't
                              >much to argue about. So calm down all. You have it better than you think.
                              >Cheers, Jim CCRR
                            • John Mui
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 4 8:48 PM
                                Loren, Jim has a diesel, because I saw it in one of his pictures. Jim, you
                                owe me 100 trees.

                                Whalewoman
                                > Since your modeling era ends in 1940, I better not see any modern diesels
                                > putt putting around your track or I'll have to issue you a 'out of era'
                                > ticket, punishable by sending 100 trees to all the lady modelers in the
                                > groups........wow, that could get expensive huh.
                                >
                                > Z rocks,
                                > Loren

                              • Loren
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 4 8:56 PM
                                  Oh great John,
                                  Now I have to come down there and write Jim a ticket.......no, wait, I
                                  already knew about Jim's diesel loco.....a NP I think.
                                  I sold it to him so I'll let that one get by. See how the political system
                                  works.........you're only guilty if a certain person says you are.

                                  And further more John, you saw both Jim and me wear our fingers to the bone
                                  at NTS showing folks how to make trees.......
                                  Did you learn? Noooooooooooooooooo. you just had to stand there all day
                                  long with your finger on the throttle having more fun than your fair share.

                                  No sireee.......you don't get any trees. Go make them yourself, you lazy
                                  good for nothing goofer offer...... :o)

                                  We now return you to your otherwise boring evening......never mind.

                                  > Loren, Jim has a diesel, because I saw it in one of his pictures. Jim, you
                                  > owe me 100 trees.
                                • Jim O'Connell
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 4 9:44 PM
                                    I do have Lajos' great SW-1. No photos of it in action 'til I can learn how to do decals properly. What a nightmare?!? Cheers, Jim CCRR
                                  • Malcolm Cleaveland
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 5 8:51 AM
                                      On Mon, 04 May 2009, "stevegail" sschulman541@... wrote:

                                      > Malcolm--In a previous life-time (16 years in the toy
                                      > business), I did a lot of importing from the Orient and I can
                                      > tell you from "cubing out containers" that there is NO such
                                      > thing as a prototype dimension. Every shipper and every
                                      > manufacture of containers had their own idea as to what a 40'
                                      > containers cube was. Your statement is pure bunk and is only
                                      > trying to justify your containers as the only ones that are
                                      > correct.
                                      > --Steve from the other Phoenix
                                      >>
                                      >> As far as the rest of it, all I can say is, you get what you pay
                                      >> for and while the MTL containers are pretty close to prototype
                                      >> dimensions (but not exact), .

                                      AND:

                                      Rob--Malcolm said "MTL containers are pretty close to prototype
                                      dimensions (but not exact)" and you said "The fact is MTL
                                      containers are very close to MCZ, but they do nor match." You
                                      can parse words all you want, but the fact is that all 40'
                                      containers are NOT the same. I satnd by my statement that
                                      Malcolm (and by inferance you, since you have a vested
                                      interest) is trying to claim that his containers (plus
                                      Marklins) are the only true to protype containers. Best
                                      regards,
                                      --Steve from the other Phoenix

                                      > > Your statement is pure bunk and is only trying to justify your
                                      > > containers as the only ones that are correct.

                                      Steve,

                                      I'm sorry, but you misunderstood me, and you are correct that there are
                                      differences in container dimensions. There is indeed a difference between
                                      40' containers, as you say. Some are hi-cube (9'6" high), some are
                                      standard (8'6" high). There may even be some slight differences in width
                                      (8'), but this is usually small fractions of an inch because the container
                                      must be able to fit into a well car. Differences in overall length
                                      between 40' containers are also limited to a small amount, usually less
                                      than an inch. If you found differences in cubic capacity, this is
                                      probably due to hi-cube vs. standard cube, interior construction,
                                      flooring, etc.

                                      Why are the differences between containers so small? In one word,
                                      standardization. The longitudinal and lateral distances between the IBCs
                                      MUST be standard to within 1 or 2 mm, or the boxes will not stack easily.
                                      Certainly, if the standards were not adhered to, you could probably force
                                      a fit, in the process damaging the IBCs on one or both containers. Once
                                      you damage an IBC, the container is withdrawn from service. The reason
                                      you can buy a container cheaply now is almost always not because the
                                      container itself is seriously damaged, but because the IBCs have become
                                      worn out of tolerance with use. While IBCs could be replaced, in practice
                                      they never are because it is expensive and welded add-ons would be less
                                      trustworthy than the original orifice, which is milled out of a single
                                      piece steel frame to the most exacting specifications.

                                      So the IBC separation dimensions are VERY exact because they absolutely
                                      must be. When talking about lengths greater than 40', overall length can
                                      vary considerably (inches), because it makes little difference. The extra
                                      length containers are a small percentage of the the containers used in
                                      international trade, which is to say that the overwhelming majority of the
                                      containers on box boats and on roads in Europe and Asia are 20' or 40'.
                                      So there are no stacking problems if 99% of your containers are 20' or
                                      40'. The IBCs on 45', 48' and 53' containers, however, are all precisely
                                      fitted to the 40' specifications. And that is what Harald Freudenreich
                                      and I tried to do.

                                      Let's talk about models. If the models are prototypical, then the pins
                                      are placed where the IBCs should be, and the pins from all the different
                                      manufacturers ought to mate exactly. The fact that they don't, just
                                      indicates that either the pins are located in a different place than the
                                      IBCs, or the dimensions are off. We (Z scale) are far from unique; for
                                      years I have heard modelers in other scales curse manufacturers whose
                                      products do not match others, when they should be standardized. In fact,
                                      some manufacturers are reputed to do this deliberately for some perceived
                                      competitive advantage.

                                      I'm sorry I offended you somehow. But I think the facts, as I explained
                                      above, are indisputable. If you want the boxes from a dozen different
                                      manufacturers to stack perfectly in the real world, they must adhere to
                                      strict standards. If you have some documentation to the contrary, please
                                      show us. Regardless, Harald and I will continue to strive to put out the
                                      best, most prototypical product possible, and we come pretty close IMO.

                                      CheerZ,
                                      -- Malcolm Z
                                      MCZ Models
                                    • mompey
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 5 5:51 PM
                                        Hi Malcolm

                                        Thanks for your reply, my 2 x20' on a 40' was refering to them in a container yard, no I dont run them on the huskies this way, definate falling off issue there.

                                        Thanks for your reference to the book, I do have a couple of intermodal books, I do prefer to watch the 1:1 and use this as a guide to my z scale intermodal, but I will look for your reference lists.

                                        You obviously have done some research on containers, and I wasnt aware you made containers, mabee you should send me a couple and I will give an unbiased report to this group, seeing it created some heat?

                                        Thanks

                                        Mike..