Replacement undecorated MTL containers

  • otten_john
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2009
      I'm very happy with my 2 AZL SD70M in Union Pacific livery with several MTL Gunderson Husky Stack Well Cars.
      The only thing is that the containers on these cars are undecorated.
      MTL has now decorated containers, so I want to replace them.
      because I dont live in the USA, I don't know what is the most realistic use of containers on the Husky-Stack Well Car.
      After viewing several DVD's and photos, I've noticed that there are container trains where 70% of all the containers are from the same compagny.
      Is this commen or an exception?
      What containers are more used in reality?
      The local containers (J.B. Hunt), or containers of international companies such as Maersk?
      The final question is: can we expect more decorated containers from MTL?
      Already thanks for your help.

      regards,
      John Otten
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 29, 2009
        John,

        First, I am with you. Just this past weekend, we ran 2 AZL UP SD70M pulling
        an 18 car train of mostly MTL gundersons. We did have a three car Thrall
        set from Ztrack Intermodal mixed in for fun. The train just ran great!

        It is common to see what can be described as unit trains of mostly one
        companies containers. There are a few intermodal experts on the list who know
        better, but companies such as Mersk and others almost run leased trains of
        their own containers.

        The trains I see here in Ohio are definitely more of mixed containers. I
        personally like the look mixed colors and names in the train. It grabs you
        attention more then a unit train of all of the same containers. I like the fact
        MTL is starting to print their containers this was needed. I have picked up
        one set of the MTL printed containers and plan to get others as they are
        released. But you also have some other options.

        Marklin has offered a set of containers in the past. The 40' containers are
        very European, but the 20' containers can be used. I would also look at MCZ
        models. MCZ offers 53' containers that can be stacked on top of the MTL
        containers. This is an accurate look that adds interest. The MCZ containers are
        extreme in their details and quality. They will stand out on your train.
        AZL is also planning containers to go with their Thrall cars due out later
        this year.

        Note, the MTL containers pins do not match the standard that MCZ uses. MCZ
        pins mate with MArklin containers. AZL is also planning to match this
        standard. To place MCZ on top of MTL containers, you may have to affix them since
        the pins will not hold them in place.

        For more information on MCZ containers, check out:
        http://www.ztrackcenter.com/intermodal/

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        Distributor American Z Line

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 29, 2009
          oh Loren! You gonna have these?

          We'll take 2 if you do ; )

          Western PacificĀ®
          F-7 Dummy B-unit
          P/N: MTL-980 12 060

        • Malcolm Cleaveland
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 29, 2009
            On Wed. April 29, 2009 John Otten wrote:

            > ... trains where 70% of containers are of the same company ...
            > Is this commen ... ?

            I would say that intermodal trains with a good mix are more common, but
            the people at:
            would probably give you a more informed opinion. There are people on that
            list who see hundreds of intermodal trains every year and photograph them
            from one end to the other.

            > ... more used in reality. The local containers (J.B. Hunt), or
            > containers of international shipping companies such as Maersk?

            There's usually a mix, but the transcon is dominated by U.S. (APL, Tex,
            Triton) and foreign international shipping companies. J.B. Hunt and other
            domestic shippers such as Pacer StackTrain and Schneider may be less
            common on the transcon, although I have photos of an intermodal train that
            was mostly Schneider, not sure if it was the transcon. In other words, I
            wouldn't worry too much about it, there is probably no intermodal consist
            that is unprototypical.

            > ... more decorated containers from MTL?

            Sure we will see more MTL decorated containers. The only question is,
            will they be prototypically accurate? Please note that so far as I can
            tell, they have not been so far. Most dry goods containers, local and
            foreign, are corrugated nowadays (15 years ago it may have been a
            different story). The MTL containers have smooth sides, which are mostly
            prototype refrigerated containers now, but the MTL containers are not
            reefers. But I suppose they could be converted by gluing a refrigeration
            unit on them or running them with a generator set container. Some of the
            paint schemes released so far are definitely NOT prototypical for reefer
            containers, unfortunately. In addition, the MTL containers do not have
            identification numbers, handling instructions ("Top Lift Only"),
            dimensions, weights, etc. that are found on real containers.

            CheerZ,
            -- Malcolm Z
            MCZ Models
          • mompey
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2009
              Some of the
              > paint schemes released so far are definitely NOT prototypical for reefer
              > containers, unfortunately. In addition, the MTL containers do not have
              > identification numbers, handling instructions ("Top Lift Only"),
              > dimensions, weights, etc. that are found on real containers.
              >
              > CheerZ,
              > -- Malcolm Z
              > MCZ Models

              We have seen MTL progress from "Blank" containers to decorated containers over the last year or so, I recon MTL will add more detail and different containers as time passes,and interest increases and at $16 for 4, it gives me the opportunity to heavily (prototypically)weather them.

              Mike..

            • mompey
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2009
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "otten_john" <otten.ja@...> wrote:

                > I'm very happy with my 2 AZL SD70M in Union Pacific livery with several MTL Gunderson Husky Stack Well Cars.

                > Is this commen or an exception?
                > What containers are more used in reality?
                > The local containers (J.B. Hunt), or containers of international companies such as Maersk?
                > The final question is: can we expect more decorated containers from MTL?
                > Already thanks for your help.
                >
                > regards,
                > John Otten

                HI John

                Im a big fan of the huskies too, I have found you-tube to be a great source for railfaning on the real thing (and z scale also)re your question on what are more used in reality.

                I would assume we will see more decorated containers from MTL, the recently released huskies had new Maersk & APL containers, I assume we will see these available seperatly soon and wouldnt be surprised to see others, especially with the CSX & TTX 4 packs out later this year.

                Mike..