Re: [Z_Scale] Power Pack Compatibility w/Marklin Z

  • Karin E. Snyder
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5 8:01 PM
      Hi Scott, it is my understanding that you don't want it to go any higher
      than 10V and preferably only 9V. So if you can mark where that point is on
      your MRC, don't go any higher than that, you are good to go with the MRC.
      Karin

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5 9:00 PM
        Scott, Karin is absolutely correct. Use a voltmeter to find about 9.5vdc and mark the spot. Many folks tap and put a small screw in the marked spots so no accidents will occur when you aren't looking. The knob won't go past the screw. Cheers, Jim CCRR
      • donfedjur@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5 11:13 PM
          Will work if it's a model without pulse. Take a current meter and determine where 10 volts is. Put a stop screw to prevent from over powering, going over 10 volts. The stop screw goes on the rheostat dial on your speed setting plate. Make sure you look to see what is on the backside of it first before drilling any kind of a screw or pilot hole in it.

          There may be a trim pot inside the power pack that will allow you to "tune it down". Same process, put a current meter AKA volt meter on it and set the voltage by turning the pot to reduce the output voltage. That will save you the hassle of defacing the consol/speed setting plate.

          Good luck.

          Don Fedjur

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6 11:38 AM
            Yep, any power pack will do if you know where the ~8 to 10V location is. No need for modifications, no need for additioanal components. Simply don't turn it up all the way !

            You may want to use a stick-on rubber part than drilling a hole and placing a screw in it, unless you take it apart to assure that the screw does not damage or touch any of the internal components !!!

            Jeff
            SF Bay Area Z

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, donfedjur@... wrote:

            > Will work if it's a model without pulse. Take a current meter and determine where 10 volts is. Put a stop screw to prevent from over powering, going over 10 volts. The stop screw goes on the rheostat dial on your speed setting plate. Make sure you look to see what is on the backside of it first before drilling any kind of a screw or pilot hole in it.
            >
            > There may be a trim pot inside the power pack that will allow you to "tune it down". Same process, put a current meter AKA volt meter on it and set the voltage by turning the pot to reduce the output voltage. That will save you the hassle of defacing the consol/speed setting plate.
            >
            > Good luck.
            >

            > Don Fedjur

          • David George
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6 12:23 PM
              I use various stick on cements and plastic/wooden stop devises to mark the 8/9 volt point.
              You could ,,however drill a small hole in the pack and just stop when it starts to spark. That WAS my method,,,,and probably explains why I don't have too many electronic gizmos on my layout.
              Cordially,
              Mister Dave