Re: Exchange Cabooses. (Cabeese?)

  • animek69
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3, 2009
      Does a CP caboose exist in Z?

      The only one I've ever seen, is mine, and it is all wrong compare to a
      real CP caboose
      CP Caboose
      <http://www.railimages.com/grapevine/showthread.php?s=d511f43c34fbeb8ebf\
      2d020f4bd79e5f&t=82431>

      Not trying to steal your threat Matt regarding your exchange proposal,
      but if anyone else has a CP Caboose, I surely would like to see some
      pictures of it.

      Ben

    • David Freehling
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 2009
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "animek69" <animek@...> wrote:

        i'm not sure i'm getting what you are asking. if you built the one you linked to, with your laser, why not cut correct sides and make it right?
        http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1168351
        http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1168302

        cabooses are just so scarce in Z, but you are one who can do them.
        dave f.

        p.s. i love your extended visions. i wish you'd make them as a kit.

        > Does a CP caboose exist in Z?
        > The only one I've ever seen, is mine, and it is all wrong compare to a
        > real CP caboose
        > CP Caboose
        > Ben
      • Matthew Parker
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2009
          Hi Ben

          Yes it does exist, and I have one, but it hasn't been produced for some time. At least that's what I've learned. Yes it doesn't look like the real McCoy because of the design and the brown colouring, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me. So long as it has CP logo on it, that's cool. I just acquired one from Jerry, and I'd like to exchange these other two for CP's as well.

          I should mention by the way that these cabooses I want to exchange are in MIB condition. I have one plastic box that the Union Pacific caboose came in, but the green M H came in my beginners set. I can provide a plastic box for it. They are both as I said, in perfect, fully operational condition, but they simply don't fit in with my plans.

          Matt.

          To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          From: pinekirk@...
          Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 15:37:59 +0000
          Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: Exchange Cabooses. (Cabeese?)

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "animek69" <animek@...> wrote:

          i'm not sure i'm getting what you are asking. if you built the one you linked to, with your laser, why not cut correct sides and make it right?
          http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1168351
          http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1168302

          cabooses are just so scarce in Z, but you are one who can do them.
          dave f.

          p.s. i love your extended visions. i wish you'd make them as a kit.

          > Does a CP caboose exist in Z?
          > The only one I've ever seen, is mine, and it is all wrong compare to a
          > real CP caboose
          > CP Caboose
          > Ben

        • Matthew Parker
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2009
            The CP caboose I have acquired from Jerry is brown and has the CP logo written in white across the center on both sides. The cappola is in the center and not like the one you have. I don't think MTL makes it in this line anymore. As for the one you have, no I've never seen one lilke that either but it would be great to have one or two of them. Also in CN colours as well.

            To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2009
              Micro Trains makes a CP caboose but it is using the wrong style of cabin car from the US NE. I figure you could get pretty close to the CP car using a Marklin car. Shorten the car by bringing the front bulkhead of the car back to the rear edge of the first window. Then fill in the two windows under the coopula so you are left with 2 windows on each side of the car. Obviously you have to change the trucks out as well and for that I use 3/32 square or 3/32 by 1/8 styrene from plastruct to create new bolsters. I use a file to shape them or an axacto knife if I have a brand new blade handy. Then drill a hole for hte bolster pin to fit into. Body mount my couplers. The hard part is the decals. A little work with some brass wire of small plastic rod and you can fix the smoke jack as well.

              Any way nice job on the caboose.

              cheers
              Garth

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "animek69" <animek@...> wrote:

              > Does a CP caboose exist in Z?
              >
              > The only one I've ever seen, is mine, and it is all wrong compare to a
              > real CP caboose
              > CP Caboose
              > <http://www.railimages.com/grapevine/showthread.php?s=d511f43c34fbeb8ebf\
              > 2d020f4bd79e5f&t=82431>
              >
              > Not trying to steal your threat Matt regarding your exchange proposal,
              > but if anyone else has a CP Caboose, I surely would like to see some
              > pictures of it.
              >
              > Ben

            • Matthew Parker
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2009
                If you're refering to the brown one with the white writing, yes I've got one. I'd like two more any style so long as they are CP. I'd love a couple CN one's to but I haven't seen any manufactures make them yet.

                To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                From: garth.a.hamilton@...
                Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 16:09:51 +0000

                Micro Trains makes a CP caboose but it is using the wrong style of cabin car from the US NE. I figure you could get pretty close to the CP car using a Marklin car. Shorten the car by bringing the front bulkhead of the car back to the rear edge of the first window. Then fill in the two windows under the coopula so you are left with 2 windows on each side of the car. Obviously you have to change the trucks out as well and for that I use 3/32 square or 3/32 by 1/8 styrene from plastruct to create new bolsters. I use a file to shape them or an axacto knife if I have a brand new blade handy. Then drill a hole for hte bolster pin to fit into. Body mount my couplers. The hard part is the decals. A little work with some brass wire of small plastic rod and you can fix the smoke jack as well.

                Any way nice job on the caboose.

                cheers
                Garth

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "animek69" <animek@...> wrote:

                > Does a CP caboose exist in Z?
                >
                > The only one I've ever seen, is mine, and it is all wrong compare to a
                > real CP caboose
                > CP Caboose
                > <http://www.railimages.com/grapevine/showthread.php?s=d511f43c34fbeb8ebf\
                > 2d020f4bd79e5f&t=82431>
                >
                > Not trying to steal your threat Matt regarding your exchange proposal,
                > but if anyone else has a CP Caboose, I surely would like to see some
                > pictures of it.
                >
                > Ben

              • Todd Shoffeitt
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 2009
                  Matt.

                  I don't have a real CP caboose, wouldn't fit in my basement, but I do have a Micro-Trains Z scale caboose with "Canadian Pacific" printed on it. I was going to paint it to look like a Z scale Micro-Trains caboose with Denver and Rio Grande decals on it, but I could do that with a green or yellow painted Micro-Trains caboose as well. It did have Micro-Trains Marklin-style couplers installed, not true Marklin couplers, mind you, and not AAR type E knuckle couplers, but I converted it over to Micro-Trains Z scale couplers on Bettendorf trucks. Now I don't know if Micro-Trains cabooses with "Canadian Pacific" printed on it ever had Bettendorf trucks, but that's what I had in my bin, and they all look alike to me from about 18 inches away anyway.

                  So if you can deal with these inaccuracies to my caboose, I would be more than happy to trade with you for one of your cabeese, cabooses, cabii, whatever. Send me an email and we can swap addresses. With tongue firmly in cheek and love to all,

                  Todd
                • Matthew Parker
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                    Good morning Todd.

                    Frankly I don't know enough about couplers and trucks to be able to tell the difference so I really don't care. If it connects to any of my MTL cars, BONUS. As far as looking like those on the MTL cabooses I wouldn't know. So long as it works that's all that matters to me.

                    Where are you?

                    To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                      How cool would that be to have your own caboose and live in it year round? Think of the possibilities.

                      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                        I know of at least one house built out of a caboose, near Blackstone VA. I'd love to own it, but it's a bit on the small side - more of a lake cabin, really.
                        V/R
                        Larry P. Card
                        Franklinton NC

                        > How cool would that be to have your own caboose and live in it year round? Think of the possibilities.

                      • ronaldjhurley
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                          My buddy recently met a waitress at Sugarloaf ski area in Maine that lives in a caboose.... talk about the perfect woman!
                          ron

                          > I know of at least one house built out of a caboose, near Blackstone VA. I'd love to own it, but it's a bit on the small side - more of a lake cabin, really.
                          > V/R
                          > Larry P. Card
                          > Franklinton NC
                          >

                          > > How cool would that be to have your own caboose and live in it year round? Think of the possibilities.

                        • Loren
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                            Ok you caboose lovers,
                            Here's one site to kind of get you started if you are seriously thinking
                            about a caboose to lodge in. Probably many more sites to visit, but this is
                            a starter. http://jkcactuscaboose.com/

                            In Chiloquin, Oregon, home of Train Mountain there is a ridge with 30
                            cabooses on it. Each one is to eventually be turned into motel like
                            dwelling places. The idea is to drive your own 7 1/2" scale steam or diesel
                            loco right up to your own caboose and stay in it. This has been in the
                            works for years now, but don't know if it will ever come to see completion.

                            I've been to Train Mountain a number of times over the years, laid many feet
                            of track and built many a track panel. This is the DisneyLand of live
                            steam. Very much worth visiting if ever in Southern Oregon. Just about 80
                            miles East of Medford in beautiflul pine covered hills. Train Mountain is
                            recognized as the "Longest Miniature Hobby Railroad".

                            > I know of at least one house built out of a caboose, near Blackstone VA.
                            > I'd love to own it, but it's a bit on the small side - more of a lake
                            > cabin, really.
                            > V/R
                            > Larry P. Card
                            > Franklinton NC
                            >

                            >> How cool would that be to have your own caboose and live in it year
                            >> round? Think of the possibilities.
                          • Dr John Lundy
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                              A caboose might make a great home for a Z scale layout!

                              John

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                                Yeah, and we have some here at Railroad Park, but they are all called for.
                                We sure need a few thou to build our own Z scale club house in RailRoad
                                Park.

                                >A caboose might make a great home for a Z scale layout!
                                >
                                > John
                              • Ellsworth Geib
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
                                  The Fairfax Station Railroad Museum (Fairfax Station, VA - a few miles SW of DC) has a real caboose on track in front of the building. There is an N-scale layout on permanent display in the caboose. It is about 3.5 ft x 7 ft (pure estimate). The caboose has all the stuff it had when in use. Things are a little tight inside. Unless you gut it, there is less room than you might expect. It can also get rather chilly in the caboose during the annual December train show.

                                  Ell Geib