RE: PULLING POWER

  • Cliff Travis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2009
      Re:Pulling Power

      I almost always consist at least 2 engines since it seems to help provide consistent running If one engine stumbles the other gives it a hand

      A good consist of requires that engines have essentially the same speed and control characteristics.For example use all MTL GP35/9s, All MTLF7s or all AZLs of the same type. Before setting up the consist Performance should be ascertained by running engines on the same track, but not coupled to each other. In the case of MTL GPs you are then likely to find that they
      all start at a different powersetting, so keep some distance between units so that they don't collide, and increase power until they are all running at an acceptable speed. If an engine performance is far out of line it is best to eliminate that engine
      My experience shows that it seems best to then place the fastest engine at the head of the consist.It will then pick up any slack between engines and keep tension on the couplers. This will help the slower engines pick up the load and start the train smoothly. On a level track their should br little or no "jigging" of engines or cars.
      I have found that with slower engines first they are pushed together so that the faster (more efficient)
      unit takes up the whole load of the train plus the extra load of Pushing the slower units. Also the lead engines have the tendency to jig back and forth.
      This info is based on my not inconsiderable experience with MTL engines which also makes me realise that the sensivity of Z equipment may have provided others with a different experience. I would very much like to hear ideas and opinions from anyone whos has actually tried consisting.
      The above is based on DC equipment with 4 engines in a consist. With DCC power I have run for many hours with consists of 2 engines in and always match them in speed. I know that there is a way to modify indidual engine speed when using DCC but I have not had much luck in doing so ( TIPS APPRECIATED). When I change the low starting range the medium range changes as well. I use Digitrax DCC (Zephyr plus a DT400 throttle but I have not been comfortable with setting up longer consists.(AGAIN ANY TIPS APPRECIATED)