RE: [Z_Scale] Re: Testing of SD'9's

  • Matthew Parker
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
      After reading your comments about this yesterday, I tried that, and I didn't really see much of a difference except that my fastest engine seemed to be pushing the other two just from the way they started off from a standing start and continued around the track. I watched very closely the couplers and the fastest engine in the rear, made the other two compress on the couplers and remaind that way during on complete run. But I will keep trying. Perhaps it will sort itself out.

      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      From: pinekirk@...
      Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:50:15 +0000
      Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: Testing of SD'9's

      hello matthew,
      i wouldn't rough up the tracks, that will only cause bigger problems later (places for dirt to stick).

      putting the faster engine in the rear requires it to pull most of the train weight and thus the drag, then the lead engines actually help with the effort rather than drag a faster lead engine.

      my opinion.
      dave f.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Parker <echo31a@...> wrote:

      > Yes I meant GP9's Sorry. Putting the fastest in the rear eh? I was using it in the lead. In that case, would it not push the others? Two of these are new, one 5 months old and one just 2 weeks old. The third one is used.
      >
      > Is there a way to rough up the tracks abit so that the wheels have something more to grip?

    • Larry Card
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
        I double-head my steam and have always had the best luck putting the faster loco in front. This assumes that the speed differential between them is not too awfully great. Putting the faster loco in the rear where it has to pull the train first before pushing the front loco sounds good in theory, but I've found that the light weight of the cars doesn't slow the faster loco down enough to make that much of a difference. Going downhill I've had the problem of the faster loco in the rear simply pushing the slower loco out of the way, usually catastrophically if there are curves involved.

        Of course, this is in N scale, so YMMV.

        V/R
        Larry P. Card

        Franklinton NC