Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Marcy Catlett

  • David Barnblatt
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2009
      Actually, the user/member can on their own do the following:

      unsubcribe from the group
      choose to get individual emails
      choose to get a once a day digest of all the activity in the group
      for that day
      choose to stay a member of the group but not receive any emails at all

      It is, as it should be, up to the yahoo user/subscriber. And all of
      this is fully accessible in the member's control panel for yahoo groups.

      On Apr 1, 2009, at 3:01 PM, munroda.t21@... wrote:

      > Forgive my getting involved in this thread, but if a request is
      > made from a subscriber to the group moderator for deletion from the
      > group, then the moderator should do it. It doesn't matter if the
      > moderator thinks that verification is required. If the subscriber
      > still means to be a member then they will join.
      >
      > To be honest, although I love Z-Gauge, I am thinking of leaving
      > since the volume of mailings and reading through everything is so
      > time consuming. It is like being in a full-time job again. Don't
      > get me wrong, I love the enthusiasm, the obvious skills and the
      > helping out from longer serving member of the scale to the newbies,
      > it is just the volume, especially since most people do not delete
      > the part of the thread unrelated to their response.
      >
      > David (AKA "Who?")

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2009
        Hi David.

        2009/4/1 munroda.t21@... <munroda@...>:
        > Forgive my getting involved in this thread, but if a request is made from a
        > subscriber to the group moderator for deletion from the group, then the
        > moderator should do it. It doesn't matter if the moderator thinks that
        > verification is required. If the subscriber still means to be a member then
        > they will join.
        >
        > To be honest, although I love Z-Gauge, I am thinking of leaving since the
        > volume of mailings and reading through everything is so time consuming. It
        > is like being in a full-time job again. Don't get me wrong, I love the
        > enthusiasm, the obvious skills and the helping out from longer serving
        > member of the scale to the newbies, it is just the volume, especially since
        > most people do not delete the part of the thread unrelated to their
        > response.

        I. too, thought of pulling out a while back. However I have stuck with
        it. Googlemail does a good job of putting threads together so most of
        the posts I just let accumulate and then delete unread. It is worth it
        for teh few gems that do interest me.

        With best wishes from Skye,
        Chris

        --
        Chris Manvell
        http://trains.manvell.org.uk/
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1, 2009
          On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 22:01:46 -0000
          "munroda.t21@..." <munroda@...> wrote:

          > Forgive my getting involved in this thread, but if a request is made from a subscriber to the group moderator for deletion from the group, then the moderator should do it.

          Unfortunately you get fake requests to remove people from lists (often
          sent off list and sometimes sent with the From faked)

          So you are right if the request is made from a subscriber - but you can't
          verify a subscriber by email - hence Yahoo makes sure if you own the
          email account you can always get a new valid password to rescue your
          account (amongst other things because we all lose passwords now and then)
        • David Epling
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1, 2009
            I have to strongly disagree. I own a few lists and moderate a few. As a list
            owner, I make it a policy NOT To unsubscribe someone on request. Here is
            why. At the bottom of EVERY message sent from a yahoogroup are the
            instructions for unsubscribing. If a person is smart enough to get on a
            list, they should be smart enough to take themselves off the list.

            In this case, Marcy has flat our said her "EX" was on this list and now she
            wanted that e-mail address off of this list.

            Now this may not be the case, but if (using Marcy as an example and not
            implying this is the case) Marcy and her ex are slinging mud at each
            other...this would be one way for Marcy to do it..get on all of her ex's
            lists and tell them the story she told us. next day along comes the ex
            wondering why he's no longer on any of his lists.

            My wife and I have separate E-mail addresses. We are on a couple of lists
            together but under our separate addresses.

            Best to let them unsub themselves

            David

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 5, 2009
              A hundred dollars says you can not unsubscribe UNLESS you are logged in.
              Since she doesn't have the password info, she can't log in. Now apologize
              to her.

              ...don

              On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Elizabeth Hayes <ehayes24@...>wrote:

              > if you actually took the time to read the page, at the top it says "you
              > have subscribed to this list" then it says "unsubscibe" with a link to
              > click. How hard is that to figure out. Sheeeeeshh. No wonder you have an EX
              > husband.
              >

              > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
              > From: countylovers@...
              > Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:26:26 -0400
              > Subject: [Z_Scale] Re: Marcy Catlett
              >

              > Marcy, easiest and quickest way to get rid of the problem is to set up a
              > message rule that sends all traffic from this address (z_scale @
              > yahoogroups.com leaving out the spaces around the @ symbol) to Deleted
              > Items. If that folder is set to empty everytime you close your e-mail
              > program, you will never see this stuff.
              >
              > Michael

              ...don a, Northern Ohio, USA

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 5, 2009
                The moderators have removed Elizabeth's post as it personally attacked Ms.
                Catlett. We have also placed Elizabeth on moderated status. Personal attacks
                will not be tolerated on this forum. Please end this thread. The owner and
                moderators of this list will review the Catlett request and make the appropriate
                move to remove the account or leave it open.

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 5, 2009
                  On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 12:39:46 -0400
                  Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                  > A hundred dollars says you can not unsubscribe UNLESS you are logged in.
                  > Since she doesn't have the password info, she can't log in. Now apologize
                  > to her.

                  Please see the original discussion. If you are getting the email you can
                  click on the send me a password option on the web page
                • Glen Chenier
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 5, 2009
                    There is no need to continue this topic. I removed Ms Catlett from list membership as per her request on the evening of 31 March 2009.

                    Was I wrong to do this? Subsequent posts give same valid reasons why I should not have done this. I had to make a decision quickly and made it. From Ms Catlett's message it appeared she was not familiar with yahoo procedures. I can relate. Rather than making her jump through hoops I simply followed her wishes and removed her membership.

                    Not banned. Removed. The membership can always be restored.

                    > On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 12:39:46 -0400
                    > Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > A hundred dollars says you can not unsubscribe UNLESS you are logged in.
                    > > Since she doesn't have the password info, she can't log in. Now apologize
                    > > to her.
                    >
                    > Please see the original discussion. If you are getting the email you can
                    > click on the send me a password option on the web page

                  • Jim O'Connell
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 5, 2009
                      Glen, You did the right thing. Time to move on folks. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                    • ronaldjhurley
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 5, 2009
                        Absolutely Glen, and my thanks for the fine job you do for us.
                        ron

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 5, 2009
                          No, you owe her a 100.00 and an apology

                          If you are using Outlook or Outlook Express or any other E-mail client, all
                          you have to do is send a blank e-mail from the subscribed account to:

                          Yahoo will send that address a confirmation that all she has to do is reply
                          to it and it will unsubscribe the address

                          PAY UP

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 5, 2009
                            You did the right thing in this case, I know I was one of the people that
                            spoke against it but in this situation, as all situations go, there is
                            always two sides.

                            However, Don did give bad advice today.

                            There is no need to continue this topic. I removed Ms Catlett from list
                            membership as per her request on the evening of 31 March 2009.

                            Was I wrong to do this? Subsequent posts give same valid reasons why I
                            should not have done this. I had to make a decision quickly and made it.
                            From Ms Catlett's message it appeared she was not familiar with yahoo
                            procedures. I can relate. Rather than making her jump through hoops I
                            simply followed her wishes and removed her membership.

                            Not banned. Removed. The membership can always be restored.

                            > On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 12:39:46 -0400
                            > Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > A hundred dollars says you can not unsubscribe UNLESS you are logged in.
                            > > Since she doesn't have the password info, she can't log in. Now
                            > > apologize
                            > > to her.
                            >
                            > Please see the original discussion. If you are getting the email you can
                            > click on the send me a password option on the web page

                          • Garth Hamilton
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 6, 2009
                              Glen

                              Thanks for this my faith in the group running this crowd is restored.

                              AH MEN

                              Garth