Re: [Z_Scale] z-gauge advice

  • Ed Dalman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hi Chuck,
      Welcome on board.  Visiting some nearby Z-scalers may be a great source of info for you.
      In which part of the country you live?
      BTW I am building a 2-level layout [44" x 88"] that will be stored in the storage compartment of a motorhome.
      All the beZtzzz,
      Ed
      Lakeside, CA

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
        Rob, Reynard,

        Both very good answers. I'd add one thing to your list........a fearless
        attitude ofc "I can do this, yes I can"

        Z can be daunting when you look at the challenges, but truthfully said, once
        you get into it and dedicate yourself to Z you begin to have a new love
        affair and it usually, most often is not curable. Just be careful your new
        lover doesn't take too much time away from your wife or girl friend. They
        can and will get jealous if you don't balance the equation.

        In my case I am very fortunate, as my wife loves the stuff and is immersed
        in it up to her elbows.....still a little ways to her eyeballs... :o)

        Chuck, years ago I took up racquet ball as a sport and for exercise. I was
        told early on that a person either loves it or hates it.
        Fortunately for me, I fell in love with it even though I got a few bruises
        and bumps along the garden path.
        Same goes for Z scale. You either love it or abandon it along life's
        walkway and go looking for some magazine to read or some John Wayne rerun on
        TV.

        "Feel the force Chuck.........feel the force"

        Enjoy the adventure as we are all in this together and are very willing to
        offer advice and help as you need it.

        Go forth and conquor.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
          Chuck,
          Picture this.........Ed pulls into a camp site or RV park and sets up camp.
          He then opens his storage compartment and pulls out his Z layout and
          commences to run it right there in plain sight of all who pass by. If you
          have ever camped in the woods, or some other nice place, then you know that
          vacationers who walk by your camp site often stop and chat.

          Won't they be blown away by Ed's layout!! What a marvelous opportunity to
          share Z and spread the diseaZe......Ed will become a true roving Z
          ambassador and put smiles on many a face. Now, that's living!!!!

          I'm kind of envious really,

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
            Hi Chuck,

            Good questions to ask. The Marklin HO would
            be something to hold on to, especially for younger
            folks where it is slightly easier to handle and put
            together than the smaller scales like N & Z.

            For myself, I have always loved Z since it came
            out back in 1972. It has taken time but today there
            are far more choices for the Z modeler.

            Z requires less space but more fastidiousness in
            assembly and track-work. A good hatband
            magnifier, good lighting and some jeweler's tools
            will serve you well.

            Yes, Z is well suited to small spaces.

            One pitfall might be in accidentally bumping the layout
            and literally heaving all the engines and rolling stock
            into the railway ditches.

            Another very common pitfall is in losing tiny parts,
            coupler springs, Preiser folks, etc. when working
            with them.

            As a whole I find the scale to be utterly charming,
            with well made engines & rolling stock. There is the possibility
            of excellent track even in small spaces. One can
            now chose between building with code 40 "Fast Track"
            materials or starting off with some of MTL's excellent
            roadbed track sets. Back in 1997 I acquired my first Marklin
            Z trainset and set it up on the coffee table. It ran perfectly
            right out of the box! (BTW, to avoid confusion,
            stick to the Marklin transformers for a while. You will find
            out about Zthek's great innovations in Z power supplies
            and electronics when you are ready for some extra fun!)

            Best regardZ & enjoy!

            Reynard Wellman
            http://www.micronart.com