Re: [Z_Scale] z-gauge advice

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      Chuck,

      I think you will really enjoy Z. First, let me touch upon the negatives. As
      mentioned, track work is critical. Smooth track is essential. Fortunately, both
      Marklin and Micro-Trains make section track lines. The Marklin line is more
      complete with many more options. The MTL line has preballasted roadbed that
      both looks good and makes joining the track together much more simpler.

      Keeping track clean is essential. Due to the fact that there is less surface
      contact to exchange electric pickup between the locos and rails, any dirt can
      greatly reduce the pickup. Fortunately, a simple cloth and alcohol does the
      trick. I also recommend Gaugemaster electronic track cleaners for those not
      running DCC. These devices help a lot.

      Along these lines, keeping locos wheels clean is also a must.

      After these key points, most other issues come down to size. You must be
      comfortable working on at this size. Kits and dealing with small parts may be more
      challenging to work with. The same is true when doing routine maintenance on
      locos and rolling stock. Lot of small parts to work with!

      Another consideration is number of items available. It can't be overlooked
      that Z has less variety of rolling stock, locomotives and accessories as the
      other scales. You may find a real challenge if you are trying to model a
      particular roadname, era, branch line etc. Fortunately, Z is growing. If you already
      have Marklin HO, I am going to assume you may be looking at more of the
      European products. Marklin is still king with years of product releases and variety.
      Also look at companies such as FR in Germany for options. Companies like MBZ
      and Luetke have releases amazing structures and kits for Z.

      As for the North American market, if you go this way, be prepared for lots of
      new products and releases. American Z Line, MTL, Marsilius, Full Throttle, FR
      and others all are releasing new rolling stock and locomotives. We have seen
      a boon of kits available. It is really a golden age for Z scalers.

      One of the benefits of Z is being able to do more in the space you have. This
      can't be overlooked. Z is incredible if you have a small space, or a
      basement. You can do so much! Also compression is not an issues. All Z scale locos
      and cars are too scale. For instance 85'passengers are a scale 85'. You won't
      necessarily find this in the other scales. Just something to consider.

      Rob Kluz
      Z Scaler since 1985

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      Distributor American Z Line

    • Ed Dalman
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
        Hi Chuck,
        Welcome on board.  Visiting some nearby Z-scalers may be a great source of info for you.
        In which part of the country you live?
        BTW I am building a 2-level layout [44" x 88"] that will be stored in the storage compartment of a motorhome.
        All the beZtzzz,
        Ed
        Lakeside, CA

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
          Rob, Reynard,

          Both very good answers. I'd add one thing to your list........a fearless
          attitude ofc "I can do this, yes I can"

          Z can be daunting when you look at the challenges, but truthfully said, once
          you get into it and dedicate yourself to Z you begin to have a new love
          affair and it usually, most often is not curable. Just be careful your new
          lover doesn't take too much time away from your wife or girl friend. They
          can and will get jealous if you don't balance the equation.

          In my case I am very fortunate, as my wife loves the stuff and is immersed
          in it up to her elbows.....still a little ways to her eyeballs... :o)

          Chuck, years ago I took up racquet ball as a sport and for exercise. I was
          told early on that a person either loves it or hates it.
          Fortunately for me, I fell in love with it even though I got a few bruises
          and bumps along the garden path.
          Same goes for Z scale. You either love it or abandon it along life's
          walkway and go looking for some magazine to read or some John Wayne rerun on
          TV.

          "Feel the force Chuck.........feel the force"

          Enjoy the adventure as we are all in this together and are very willing to
          offer advice and help as you need it.

          Go forth and conquor.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
            Chuck,
            Picture this.........Ed pulls into a camp site or RV park and sets up camp.
            He then opens his storage compartment and pulls out his Z layout and
            commences to run it right there in plain sight of all who pass by. If you
            have ever camped in the woods, or some other nice place, then you know that
            vacationers who walk by your camp site often stop and chat.

            Won't they be blown away by Ed's layout!! What a marvelous opportunity to
            share Z and spread the diseaZe......Ed will become a true roving Z
            ambassador and put smiles on many a face. Now, that's living!!!!

            I'm kind of envious really,

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
              Hi Chuck,

              Good questions to ask. The Marklin HO would
              be something to hold on to, especially for younger
              folks where it is slightly easier to handle and put
              together than the smaller scales like N & Z.

              For myself, I have always loved Z since it came
              out back in 1972. It has taken time but today there
              are far more choices for the Z modeler.

              Z requires less space but more fastidiousness in
              assembly and track-work. A good hatband
              magnifier, good lighting and some jeweler's tools
              will serve you well.

              Yes, Z is well suited to small spaces.

              One pitfall might be in accidentally bumping the layout
              and literally heaving all the engines and rolling stock
              into the railway ditches.

              Another very common pitfall is in losing tiny parts,
              coupler springs, Preiser folks, etc. when working
              with them.

              As a whole I find the scale to be utterly charming,
              with well made engines & rolling stock. There is the possibility
              of excellent track even in small spaces. One can
              now chose between building with code 40 "Fast Track"
              materials or starting off with some of MTL's excellent
              roadbed track sets. Back in 1997 I acquired my first Marklin
              Z trainset and set it up on the coffee table. It ran perfectly
              right out of the box! (BTW, to avoid confusion,
              stick to the Marklin transformers for a while. You will find
              out about Zthek's great innovations in Z power supplies
              and electronics when you are ready for some extra fun!)

              Best regardZ & enjoy!

              Reynard Wellman
              http://www.micronart.com