Re: [Z_Scale] z-gauge advice

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      I started in Z-scale 18 months ago and have exhibited my layout twice
      as a work in progress. At both exhibitions (a total of 3 days) I found
      it was almost un-necessary to clean the track. Obviously I had a go at
      it before each exhibition. I have very little trouble at either
      exhibition.

      What I have found, though, is that it is very easy to get one of the
      fishplates (joiners?) go under the rail rather than around it. So,
      when you start laying track, check each joint by running a finger
      lightly over each rail in both directions and feel for any change in
      level.

      As to how much you can pack into a small space, have a look at my
      layout (http://trains.manvell.org.uk/z-scale/). There is 30m of linear
      track in the 1800mm by 610mm board.

      BTW, G scalers will try to put you off - they are into BIG stuff. My
      eyes aren't perfect so I use a magnifying headband when I need to and
      have no trouble at all.

      Best wishes,
      Chris.

      --
      Chris Manvell
      http://trains.manvell.org.uk, http://family.manvell.org.uk,
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009

        > 2009/4/1 Larry Card <lpcard@...>:
        > >> What advice do you folks have for me? What are the pitfalls of z-gauge
        > >> for people used to HO and how easily can they be overcome?

        I didn't start this thread!!!!!!!!

        just so you know.

        I was answering the guy that asked the questions above. Please be careful when trimming messages, but please do trim them!

        V/R
        Larry P. Card

        Franklinton NC

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
          Chuck,

          I think you will really enjoy Z. First, let me touch upon the negatives. As
          mentioned, track work is critical. Smooth track is essential. Fortunately, both
          Marklin and Micro-Trains make section track lines. The Marklin line is more
          complete with many more options. The MTL line has preballasted roadbed that
          both looks good and makes joining the track together much more simpler.

          Keeping track clean is essential. Due to the fact that there is less surface
          contact to exchange electric pickup between the locos and rails, any dirt can
          greatly reduce the pickup. Fortunately, a simple cloth and alcohol does the
          trick. I also recommend Gaugemaster electronic track cleaners for those not
          running DCC. These devices help a lot.

          Along these lines, keeping locos wheels clean is also a must.

          After these key points, most other issues come down to size. You must be
          comfortable working on at this size. Kits and dealing with small parts may be more
          challenging to work with. The same is true when doing routine maintenance on
          locos and rolling stock. Lot of small parts to work with!

          Another consideration is number of items available. It can't be overlooked
          that Z has less variety of rolling stock, locomotives and accessories as the
          other scales. You may find a real challenge if you are trying to model a
          particular roadname, era, branch line etc. Fortunately, Z is growing. If you already
          have Marklin HO, I am going to assume you may be looking at more of the
          European products. Marklin is still king with years of product releases and variety.
          Also look at companies such as FR in Germany for options. Companies like MBZ
          and Luetke have releases amazing structures and kits for Z.

          As for the North American market, if you go this way, be prepared for lots of
          new products and releases. American Z Line, MTL, Marsilius, Full Throttle, FR
          and others all are releasing new rolling stock and locomotives. We have seen
          a boon of kits available. It is really a golden age for Z scalers.

          One of the benefits of Z is being able to do more in the space you have. This
          can't be overlooked. Z is incredible if you have a small space, or a
          basement. You can do so much! Also compression is not an issues. All Z scale locos
          and cars are too scale. For instance 85'passengers are a scale 85'. You won't
          necessarily find this in the other scales. Just something to consider.

          Rob Kluz
          Z Scaler since 1985

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com
          www.ztrackcenter.com
          Distributor American Z Line

        • Ed Dalman
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
            Hi Chuck,
            Welcome on board.  Visiting some nearby Z-scalers may be a great source of info for you.
            In which part of the country you live?
            BTW I am building a 2-level layout [44" x 88"] that will be stored in the storage compartment of a motorhome.
            All the beZtzzz,
            Ed
            Lakeside, CA

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
              Rob, Reynard,

              Both very good answers. I'd add one thing to your list........a fearless
              attitude ofc "I can do this, yes I can"

              Z can be daunting when you look at the challenges, but truthfully said, once
              you get into it and dedicate yourself to Z you begin to have a new love
              affair and it usually, most often is not curable. Just be careful your new
              lover doesn't take too much time away from your wife or girl friend. They
              can and will get jealous if you don't balance the equation.

              In my case I am very fortunate, as my wife loves the stuff and is immersed
              in it up to her elbows.....still a little ways to her eyeballs... :o)

              Chuck, years ago I took up racquet ball as a sport and for exercise. I was
              told early on that a person either loves it or hates it.
              Fortunately for me, I fell in love with it even though I got a few bruises
              and bumps along the garden path.
              Same goes for Z scale. You either love it or abandon it along life's
              walkway and go looking for some magazine to read or some John Wayne rerun on
              TV.

              "Feel the force Chuck.........feel the force"

              Enjoy the adventure as we are all in this together and are very willing to
              offer advice and help as you need it.

              Go forth and conquor.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
                Chuck,
                Picture this.........Ed pulls into a camp site or RV park and sets up camp.
                He then opens his storage compartment and pulls out his Z layout and
                commences to run it right there in plain sight of all who pass by. If you
                have ever camped in the woods, or some other nice place, then you know that
                vacationers who walk by your camp site often stop and chat.

                Won't they be blown away by Ed's layout!! What a marvelous opportunity to
                share Z and spread the diseaZe......Ed will become a true roving Z
                ambassador and put smiles on many a face. Now, that's living!!!!

                I'm kind of envious really,

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
                  Hi Chuck,

                  Good questions to ask. The Marklin HO would
                  be something to hold on to, especially for younger
                  folks where it is slightly easier to handle and put
                  together than the smaller scales like N & Z.

                  For myself, I have always loved Z since it came
                  out back in 1972. It has taken time but today there
                  are far more choices for the Z modeler.

                  Z requires less space but more fastidiousness in
                  assembly and track-work. A good hatband
                  magnifier, good lighting and some jeweler's tools
                  will serve you well.

                  Yes, Z is well suited to small spaces.

                  One pitfall might be in accidentally bumping the layout
                  and literally heaving all the engines and rolling stock
                  into the railway ditches.

                  Another very common pitfall is in losing tiny parts,
                  coupler springs, Preiser folks, etc. when working
                  with them.

                  As a whole I find the scale to be utterly charming,
                  with well made engines & rolling stock. There is the possibility
                  of excellent track even in small spaces. One can
                  now chose between building with code 40 "Fast Track"
                  materials or starting off with some of MTL's excellent
                  roadbed track sets. Back in 1997 I acquired my first Marklin
                  Z trainset and set it up on the coffee table. It ran perfectly
                  right out of the box! (BTW, to avoid confusion,
                  stick to the Marklin transformers for a while. You will find
                  out about Zthek's great innovations in Z power supplies
                  and electronics when you are ready for some extra fun!)

                  Best regardZ & enjoy!

                  Reynard Wellman
                  http://www.micronart.com