Re: Tungsten vs. Uranium....

  • BJKRONEN@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 1999
      Wolfgang:

      > As far as my knowledge of space "left" for putting on weight to locos, I
      > should say, there is no danger at all of "overloading" a loco with
      > additional ballast !

      Excellent. While there are not many places to put extra weight, don't forget
      you can drill into steam domes and other thick spots -- and create spaces for
      weights. So long as you don't drill completely through the shell. Thank
      heavens for thickness calipers and drill bit stops.

      > I could look it up in one of my intelligence/knowlege hiding books,
      > but.....lazy as I can be: how much heavier than lead is Tungsten ?

      Copper 8.96 g/ml
      Iron 7.86 g/ml
      Lead 11.4 g/ml
      Mercury 13.6 g/ml
      Uranium 19.07 g/ml
      Tungsten 19.3 g/ml

      Ask, and you shall receive. By the way, both white glue and CA do a great
      job of turning the powders into a solid mass and holding it in place.

      As good advise, anyone using these metals should NOT get them on, or in,
      their bodies to avoid metal poisoning. Once its glued in place, its safe.

      Second, some of these powered metals are flamable in powered form. Yes,
      metals can burn too. Tungsten, if thrown into the air (by accident of
      course) and subjected to an open flame will ignite and burn at a temperature
      of several thousand degrees C. While the chances are very remote, use some
      common sense. Don't knock the bottle off the table along with your cigar/ash
      tray, as example.

      It can't be too dangerous. Golfers use powered metals in their clubs. Why
      would any intelligent life form want to buy a ball, then hit it so hard it
      cannot be seen. Then go chase it. Beyond me. I never loose sight of my
      trains.

      Bill Kronenberger
      Houston