Power Falloff.

  • Matt Parker
    Message 1 of 54 , Mar 17, 2009
      I have a concern about power falloff with my beginner set.
      I've had this standard oval, cars and power pack ever since I bought this set a few months ago, the engine however is an exchange. The power pack is a Tech 4 MRC 220. Anyone who one's one of these babies knows that the control face is graduated in 10's to represent the scale speed of whatever size engine one might be running with it.
      There are 4 buttons on the right. On/Off, Direction, Momentum, and Brake.
      Up until a few days ago, everything was running smoothly. But now there seems to be a problem with power falloff. Let me explain.
      I could turn the throttle to just above 0 say at about 3 to 5, and my train would move ever so slightly. The higher I turned the throttle, the faster the train would move according to the scale speed. Obviously.
      However, now I'm noticing that I have to turn the throttle up to at least 20 before I get any movement out of the engine at all. And then it is very, very slow, like it was running at less then 10 mph. Once I get past the 20, the engine runs at increasing speeds as the throttle is moved ahead.
      The momentum switch is off and all track connections seem to be tight. I've also checked the wiring from the back of the powerpack to the feeder track. Everything seems to be in order. I have not moved the powerpack. It is still in the same position I placed it in a few weeks ago when I was having trouble with the original engine that came with this set. It seen that there isn't any current getting through at the lower end of the throttle. 20 and below.
      Does anyone have an opinion on what the possible problem might be?
    • gordonjhart
      Message 54 of 54 , Apr 2, 2012
        Chris

        Can you tell me a bit more about your Bavarian royal train which you had fitted with a ghost car motor.
        I have tried all manner of ideas to build a ghost driver unit to poer my Railex collection
        I would greatly appreciate any tips

        Thanks
        Gordon