RE: Re : [Z_Scale] Modifications are in Order.

  • Matthew Parker
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
      Yes it's true. Actually there is no place you can go, on land, that you can get a full view of the tunnels in their entirety. There is a viewing spot on the Trans Canada where you can see the lower tunnels and if the train is long enough, you can see it in three different locations at the same time. But you can't see the upper tunnel from there. You have to go down the mountain toward Field, and at the bottom of the pass is a road that goes north and takes you up to Takaka Falls. Just a few miles up that road is another viewing spot where you can see the upper tunnels. In either case, yes the fir trees obstruct a good part of the view. I would expect that once the next century rolls around, you may not be able to see either tunnels from the viewing spots and I think that will be unfortunate. It helps quite a bit to use binos when viewing both tunnels.

      In order to model my layout after the pass, I've been using satellite photos which will bring you down to about 500 feet. I find them quite useful.

      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      From: ddechamp71@...
      Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:00:36 +0000
      Subject: Re : [Z_Scale] Modifications are in Order.

      >The bottom line here is that I want to do whatever it takes to
      >maintain the integrity of the Pass, and keep as much realism as
      >possible. Frankly, it won't matter too much to anyone who has never
      >been to Kicking Horse pass or seen the spiral tunnels, but to those
      >of us who have, realism will count big time.

      I've seen recent shots of Kicking Horse Pass (and I oftenly run it with my MSTS add-on!<wink>), and it's interresting enough to notice that now you can barely have a synoptic picture as the firtrees are now far taller than 20 or 30 years ago when shots were showing the whole pass ....

      Dom