Reposting - quoting text in response to msg

  • Ken Armstrong
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
      I think the problem with extended requotes of previous messages is
      people using the "reply" button to send a response. Unless you change
      your mail browser settings the default setting in Thunderbird (Mozilla)
      and Microsoft mail is to quote the entire previous message. If you don't
      want to do this you have to enable editing in your email and cut out the
      parts you do not want to repeat.

      There are two other ways to fix this. Don't use the reply button but
      start a new message. That means retyping the email address and the
      subject line and then copying in any part of previous messages you want
      to quote. Not hard but time consuming.
      OR
      Change the parameters in your email settings. I have not used MS mail in
      many years so what follows is for Thunderbird. I am sure Microsoft is
      similar, but you will have to hunt around the headings to find the setting.

      In Mozilla Thunderbird, on the heading bar select *Tools*, then *Account
      Settings,* then *Composition and Addressing*. Under *Composition*,
      Locate the the question "Automatically Quote the Previous Message in My
      Reply". Uncheck the box. Done. Go back to your message. You can then
      copy only what you want to quote from the message into your reply.

      Ken A.
    • Don A
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
        Ken:

        Therein lies some more problems. Firefox etc gives you emails in
        chronological order from ALL sources. This means you constantly would
        have to chenge your settings for every email. Many people WANT the
        older email attached. I know I do as an email coming in may be an
        answer from an email sent a week ago. Unless you have one good memory
        you probably want to see what the respondant is answering ESPECIALLY
        if he has received several emails over the last 10 days. [a common
        occurance for me]. Computers are bad enough without repeatedly
        changing settings especially when ISP sometimes hold emails for days
        before they get unstuck and get sent.

        ...don

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Ken Armstrong <kenarm322@...> wrote:

        > I think the problem with extended requotes of previous messages is
        > people using the "reply" button to send a response. Unless you change
        > your mail browser settings the default setting in Thunderbird (Mozilla)
        > and Microsoft mail is to quote the entire previous message. If you
        don't
        > want to do this you have to enable editing in your email and cut out
        the
        > parts you do not want to repeat.
        >
        > There are two other ways to fix this. Don't use the reply button but
        > start a new message. That means retyping the email address and the
        > subject line and then copying in any part of previous messages you want
        > to quote. Not hard but time consuming.
        > OR
        > Change the parameters in your email settings. I have not used MS
        mail in
        > many years so what follows is for Thunderbird. I am sure Microsoft is
        > similar, but you will have to hunt around the headings to find the
        setting.

        > In Mozilla Thunderbird, on the heading bar select *Tools*, then
        *Account
        > Settings,* then *Composition and Addressing*. Under *Composition*,
        > Locate the the question "Automatically Quote the Previous Message
        in My
        > Reply". Uncheck the box. Done. Go back to your message. You can then
        > copy only what you want to quote from the message into your reply.
        >
        > Ken A.

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
          > Therein lies some more problems. Firefox etc gives you emails in
          > chronological order from ALL sources. This means you constantly would

          Its entirely configurable.

          > have to chenge your settings for every email. Many people WANT the
          > older email attached. I know I do as an email coming in may be an

          I disagree entirely. It's considered rude and bad manners on lists not to
          trim content.

          Given your assertion I assume you can provide competent independant third
          party research to show your claim ?
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
            Guys, Firefox is a browser, not an e-mail client and, as such, has no
            control over the way the client displays messages.

            Google Mail sorts purely by date received but mails can be labelled
            into categories. Thunderbird allows the user to sort mail by almost
            any field as does Outlook and Outlook Express. I cannot tell you what
            Yahoo Mail and Hotmail do as I never use, or have used, either for
            reading mail. Firefox only does the displaying, where applicable, of
            the data it is sent.

            Chris.

            --
            Chris Manvell
            http://trains.manvell.org.uk, http://family.manvell.org.uk,
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
              If you click on Reply via Web Post, you wind up on the Yahoo site and can easily trim
              whatever old text you want.

              Ell Geib

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Chris <cmanvell@...> wrote:

              > Guys, Firefox is a browser, not an e-mail client and, as such, has no
              > control over the way the client displays messages.
              >
              > Google Mail sorts purely by date received but mails can be labelled
              > into categories. Thunderbird allows the user to sort mail by almost
              > any field as does Outlook and Outlook Express. I cannot tell you what
              > Yahoo Mail and Hotmail do as I never use, or have used, either for
              > reading mail. Firefox only does the displaying, where applicable, of
              > the data it is sent.
              >
              > Chris.

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
                I did actually discover that I have a Yahoo Mail account the other
                day. I had over 1000 unread messages, all of which I had read in
                digest form. Problem is that to be on groups.yahoo and/or
                webmessenger.yahoo it appears that one is give a mail.yahoo account
                whether one wants it or not.

                I use mail.google, not mail.yahoo.

                Chris.

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Chris,

                  I wasn't referring to Yahoo Mail. I have opted to get my messages from the group as a
                  summary each day, usually 20-25 messages. After each message in the summary group I
                  get, there are the following links

                  Back to top
                  Messages in this topic (6)

                  I always click on Reply via Web Post which links to the Yahoo Group web page to Post a
                  reply message. It's like going to the web page and clicking on Post a Message in the left
                  panel. I also use a different ISP for my e-mail. I don't use a Yahoo Mail account.

                  Ell