Re: The Metric System

  • Daniel Baechtold
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
      David

      in fact swiss german is the easiest language of the world. no grammatic, just present, future and past perfect; and if you misspell a word just say it's another swiss accent :-)

      Daniel

      <1b. Re: The Metric System
      < Posted by: "David K. Smith" david@... dks2855
      < Date: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:28 pm ((PST))<<
      <
      <5280 feet in one mile. Very simple? Err... what about nautical miles?
      <Tons or metric tons? Ounces or troy ounces? All of those arbitrary
      <conversion numbers--5280, 12, 4, 3, etc.--must all be memorized. For
      <metric, *everything* is based on 10. Nothing to remember. It cannot
      <get any simpler.
      <
      <It's like saying English is the easiest language in the world. Well,
      <it is only if you already know it! (The Cambridge Grammar of the
      <English Language book is 1860 pages.) Spanish is actually considered
      <one of the easiest languages in the world. Why? Virtually no
      <exceptions. The same rules apply in all cases. Simple. Just like 10s.
      <
      <I'm really very sorry the US did not convert to metric when it was
      <proposed all those years ago. The government cowtowed to a population
      <of pig-headed people who simply refused to accept a superior system.
      <What a waste.
      <
      <--David<
      <
      <http://jamesriverbranch.net/
      <http://1-220.blogspot.com/

      --
      daniel baechtold
      ahornstrasse 3

      daniel.baechtold@...
      http://www.caribou.lake.ch.vu/

      Computer Bild Tarifsieger! GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
      für nur 17,95 ¿/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
        > The railway standard gauge can be traced back to the wheel spacing of
        > Roman chariots. Who cared that it was 4ft 8.25 inches. It was just the
        > length of a piece of wood of an iron bar used by the track layers.

        Mostly urban legend I'm afraid. You can start with the fact the Britons
        were using chariots before the Romans (in fact the word 'car' comes from
        the Brythonic) and then look at early dramroad/waggonway history and the
        story all falls apart.

        The nearest anyone has gotten to sanity on this is that it looks like a
        lot of wooden waggonways would have been 5' wide measured across the
        outside edges and that being about right for a horse.

        People tend to remember the 7' gauge and the 4'8" but forget the
        large amounts of other gauges early on before railways began to link up
        and break of gauge became a problem.

        In the UK collieries did often use something in the 4'0-5'0 range but
        there were a huge mix, while some of the Welsh ones used quite narrow
        tracks even before steam.

        The Pen Y Darren locomotive (Trevithick) was believed to be 4'6" gauge
        as the inside of the flanges was recorded as 4'2" while Puffing Billy was
        5' gauge. Blenkinsops engines at Middleton colliery ran on 4'1" gauge
        track (with an outside rack). It is only the early Stephenson railways
        that any kind of consistency begins to emerge.

        I was under the impression the US , particularly southern US was similar
        in this respect.
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
          Hi Alan.

          I bow to your superior knowledge. I have to admit, I was alwasy a bit
          uneasy about it but it was cited by so may that I just assumed it was,
          in some way, correct. However, this myth was perpetuated by several
          eminent railway authors at the time of my youth. I wonder how may
          books on railways still quote it - I have no time nor wish to follow
          it up now.

          All the best,
          Chris.

          --
          Chris Manvell
          http://trains.manvell.org.uk, http://family.manvell.org.uk,
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
            I was caught up when the schools were teaching metric. The problem was that the whole emphasis was on teaching conversions. How many feet is a meter? How many pints in a liter? How many mph is 65 kph?

            If we'd just ditched imperial and taught metric people would have been fine. The conversions killed us. That and it being invented by the French :}

            Michael Duggan
            Jack of All Trades, Master of Some
            http://www.pawofabear.com

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
              I prefer my Z scale ruler for Z scale !!!!!

              Thom Welsch
            • Manfred G
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
                Daniel,

                My dad didn't even consider Swiss German a language at all. He always
                called it a throat disease. :-)

                Manfred

                Daniel Baechtold wrote:
                > David
                >
                > in fact swiss german is the easiest language of the world. no grammatic, just present, future and past perfect; and if you misspell a word just say it's another swiss accent :-)
                >
                > Daniel
                >

                > <1b. Re: The Metric System
                > < Posted by: "David K. Smith" david@... dks2855
                > < Date: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:28 pm ((PST))<<
                > <
                > <5280 feet in one mile. Very simple? Err... what about nautical miles?
                > <Tons or metric tons? Ounces or troy ounces? All of those arbitrary
                > <conversion numbers--5280, 12, 4, 3, etc.--must all be memorized. For
                > <metric, *everything* is based on 10. Nothing to remember. It cannot
                > <get any simpler.
                > <
                > <It's like saying English is the easiest language in the world. Well,
                > <it is only if you already know it! (The Cambridge Grammar of the
                > <English Language book is 1860 pages.) Spanish is actually considered
                > <one of the easiest languages in the world. Why? Virtually no
                > <exceptions. The same rules apply in all cases. Simple. Just like 10s.
                > <
                > <I'm really very sorry the US did not convert to metric when it was
                > <proposed all those years ago. The government cowtowed to a population
                > <of pig-headed people who simply refused to accept a superior system.
                > <What a waste.
                > <
                > <--David<
                > <
                > <http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                > <http://1-220.blogspot.com/

              • Uwe Liermann
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
                  Hello Manfred,

                  > My dad didn't even consider Swiss German a language at all. He always
                  > called it a throat disease. :-)

                  ...you must have misunderstood something there...

                  Just imagine a nice slender girl reaching you a sweet Swiss "Schoggi"...

                  ...and you will see that it is the most beautiful language of the
                  world....

                  ;-)))

                  --
                  GreetingZ
                  Uwe
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
                    AHHHhh. Well if you put it that way I can see that it is a very nice
                    language. Heck I'm so broad minded that I will even say that it wouldn't
                    matter what language she was using. I would like it very much. ;-D

                    I wonder if that is due to the girl or what she is holding? Nah, better
                    not to analyze to much.

                    Manfred