My Empire Phase 1

  • Daniel Baechtold
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2009
      Loren,

      the 490mm radius is the radius of the micro-trains and märklin turnouts; 19.2 inches! AND the smallest radius 1:1 scale locomotives can handle...

      Matt,

      the 1:1 scale spiral tunnels do have a radius of 290 to 300 metres (~900ft), and in the tunnel the grade is just about 2.0% (because flange-to-rail friction in that steep curve makes the grade feeled 2.5%)

      A pusher loco surely would diminuish the possibilty of the cars overhanging to the inside of the curve, BUT only when it's 100% properly working and pushing every bit of every second constantly with the same force: seems a high challenge in z scale i think...

      I did quite a lot of experiences to find out the optimum for a minimal radius, because I want to run trains up to 70 cars (that length will be needed with the 490mm radius that a trains turns over itself in a loop or spiral!)
      Matt, I'd propose you should do some experiences for train length and max grade as well as minimal curve; so you can find out what minimal radius works best for your layout (and space you have to build the layout in). Just set up a spiral of track with a 2.5% grade and run some trains over it, modify train length or radius and you will get behind the secret :-)

      best wishes, Daniel

      <Daniel,
      --
      daniel baechtold
      ahornstrasse 3

      daniel.baechtold@...
      http://www.caribou.lake.ch.vu/

      Computer Bild Tarifsieger! GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
      für nur 17,95 ¿/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2009
        > Dom:
        >
        > Since you're already a member of Z-scale yahoogroups,
        > it should be a simple means to find my photos. Enter the
        > group, click on photos, and then go to the fourth photo page
        > and my album is right at the bottom marked Matt's
        > photos. Just click on that and you'll see all the photos
        > I've posted since being here. If you still can't
        > find it, I'll see if I can download them as an
        > attachment to an email to you.
        >
        > Matt

        Thank you Matt, with your data I've been able to find them. Very interresting project indeed! For the remaining, did you already set a complete trackplan?

        Will your layout be a "point to point", or a continuous loop with trains coming down to their point of departure via an helix for example?

        Dom
      • Matthew Parker
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
          If my dream come to fruition, it will be a continuous loop. Once a train leaves the pass and passes through Field, it will continue on and loop around a full 180 and come back down other tables behind the pass, But it will not be confined to table levels. I expect to have more mountains on the other side where my trains will climb and criss cross back and forth the full length of the tables until it gets back to the upper level again. There will be a marshalling yard, industrial sidings and a small city on the back side of the pass.

          The whole layout once complete, should be about 25 feet long, and 8 foot wide with a two foot aisle in the middle. The spiral tunnels will sort of be in the center with the aisle going around the end and back again. Something like a horseshow. The track at the upper level will be high enough that one can duck under just enough to walk comfortably through and I might put a lift bridge at the other end to walk back out, but I'm not sure about that yet. Total estimated time to complete. 15 to 20 years if I live long enough.

          To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
          From: ddechamp71@...
          Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 07:47:11 +0000
          Subject: RE: Re : [Z_Scale] My Empire Phase 1