Re: Reposting - please refrain from quoting text in response to msg #60330

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
      Thank you for the explanation.
      Since I have elected to not receive individual posts... I missed the
      original postings with the political content.

      Alex

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@> wrote:
      >
      > Note that the original reply posts have been deleted. The repost
      is to
      > recreate the deleted reply WITHOUT the quoted content. This is the
      > only way to edit out quoted material that some members find
      offensive.
      > The alternative is to delete the reply post entirely without
      reposting
      > which is not fair to those who are making genuine contributions in
      > their replies.
      >
      > There are others, not just myself, who do not appreciate political
      > content and do find it offensive. When complaints are made it is
      my
      > duty as a moderator to act. My decision was to delete the
      offensive
      > post and delete the offensive post text that was quoted in
      following
      > replies without deleting the main content of the replies. Not easy
      > do within the limitations of yahoo, thus the repostings.
    • David K. Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
        Just one question... if all prior material is deleted from a post, how
        does one maintain context? I find quoted text to be useful; it's hard
        enough keeping track of multiple disjointed conversations in a non-
        threaded format. Then along comes an oddball remark, and I'm sitting
        here scratching my head wondering what the heck this person is carrying
        on about.

        --David

        http://jamesriverbranch.net/
        http://1-220.blogspot.com/
      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
          On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:59:17 -0000
          "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:

          > Just one question... if all prior material is deleted from a post, how
          > does one maintain context? I find quoted text to be useful;

          The request as I read it was not to stop quoting material, but to stop
          sending messages that looked like

          Me too !

          > [500 lines of quoted material]
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
            Hi.

            2009/3/1 Alan Cox <alan@...>:
            > On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:59:17 -0000
            > "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Just one question... if all prior material is deleted from a post, how
            >> does one maintain context? I find quoted text to be useful;

            I agree with that provided that the quoted text is relevant.

            Continuity of messages, BTW, is IIRC maintained in the headers that
            one does not usually see.

            > The request as I read it was not to stop quoting material, but to stop
            > sending messages that looked like
            >
            > Me too !
            >
            >> [500 lines of quoted material]

            Precisely (except that the example I gave earlier was even worse with
            over 600 lines of mostly irrelevant text).

            Best wishes to all,
            Chris.

            --
            Chris Manvell