Re: Reposting - please refrain from quoting text in response to msg #60330

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:

      > Glen,
      >
      > I count at least six repostings in which your only comment
      > was "DELETE" along with the entire repost of something I have already
      > read. That is just as annoying as the folks that don't or unable to
      > edit their replies.
      >
      > I happen to LIKE other folk's "political content".
      > Maybe it is only you that considers it "political".
      >
      > Alex
      > Tokyo, Japan

      Alex

      Note that the original reply posts have been deleted. The repost is to
      recreate the deleted reply WITHOUT the quoted content. This is the
      only way to edit out quoted material that some members find offensive.
      The alternative is to delete the reply post entirely without reposting
      which is not fair to those who are making genuine contributions in
      their replies.

      There are others, not just myself, who do not appreciate political
      content and do find it offensive. When complaints are made it is my
      duty as a moderator to act. My decision was to delete the offensive
      post and delete the offensive post text that was quoted in following
      replies without deleting the main content of the replies. Not easy to
      do within the limitations of yahoo, thus the repostings.
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
        Thank you for the explanation.
        Since I have elected to not receive individual posts... I missed the
        original postings with the political content.

        Alex

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:

        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@> wrote:
        >
        > Note that the original reply posts have been deleted. The repost
        is to
        > recreate the deleted reply WITHOUT the quoted content. This is the
        > only way to edit out quoted material that some members find
        offensive.
        > The alternative is to delete the reply post entirely without
        reposting
        > which is not fair to those who are making genuine contributions in
        > their replies.
        >
        > There are others, not just myself, who do not appreciate political
        > content and do find it offensive. When complaints are made it is
        my
        > duty as a moderator to act. My decision was to delete the
        offensive
        > post and delete the offensive post text that was quoted in
        following
        > replies without deleting the main content of the replies. Not easy
        > do within the limitations of yahoo, thus the repostings.
      • David K. Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
          Just one question... if all prior material is deleted from a post, how
          does one maintain context? I find quoted text to be useful; it's hard
          enough keeping track of multiple disjointed conversations in a non-
          threaded format. Then along comes an oddball remark, and I'm sitting
          here scratching my head wondering what the heck this person is carrying
          on about.

          --David

          http://jamesriverbranch.net/
          http://1-220.blogspot.com/
        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
            On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:59:17 -0000
            "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:

            > Just one question... if all prior material is deleted from a post, how
            > does one maintain context? I find quoted text to be useful;

            The request as I read it was not to stop quoting material, but to stop
            sending messages that looked like

            Me too !

            > [500 lines of quoted material]
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
              Hi.

              2009/3/1 Alan Cox <alan@...>:
              > On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:59:17 -0000
              > "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Just one question... if all prior material is deleted from a post, how
              >> does one maintain context? I find quoted text to be useful;

              I agree with that provided that the quoted text is relevant.

              Continuity of messages, BTW, is IIRC maintained in the headers that
              one does not usually see.

              > The request as I read it was not to stop quoting material, but to stop
              > sending messages that looked like
              >
              > Me too !
              >
              >> [500 lines of quoted material]

              Precisely (except that the example I gave earlier was even worse with
              over 600 lines of mostly irrelevant text).

              Best wishes to all,
              Chris.

              --
              Chris Manvell