Reposting - please refrain from quoting text in response to msg #60330

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
      Two things -

      1) When replying to a post, work around email editing limitations by
      first logging into the group via yahoo, then trim excess text other
      than to which you are specifically replying.

      2) This goes especially when replying to a post with political
      content. Refrain from quoting the original political content.
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
        Glen,

        I count at least six repostings in which your only comment
        was "DELETE" along with the entire repost of something I have already
        read. That is just as annoying as the folks that don't or unable to
        edit their replies.

        I happen to LIKE other folk's "political content".
        Maybe it is only you that considers it "political".

        Alex
        Tokyo, Japan

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:

          > Glen,
          >
          > I count at least six repostings in which your only comment
          > was "DELETE" along with the entire repost of something I have already
          > read. That is just as annoying as the folks that don't or unable to
          > edit their replies.
          >
          > I happen to LIKE other folk's "political content".
          > Maybe it is only you that considers it "political".
          >
          > Alex
          > Tokyo, Japan

          Alex

          Note that the original reply posts have been deleted. The repost is to
          recreate the deleted reply WITHOUT the quoted content. This is the
          only way to edit out quoted material that some members find offensive.
          The alternative is to delete the reply post entirely without reposting
          which is not fair to those who are making genuine contributions in
          their replies.

          There are others, not just myself, who do not appreciate political
          content and do find it offensive. When complaints are made it is my
          duty as a moderator to act. My decision was to delete the offensive
          post and delete the offensive post text that was quoted in following
          replies without deleting the main content of the replies. Not easy to
          do within the limitations of yahoo, thus the repostings.
        • Alex
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
            Thank you for the explanation.
            Since I have elected to not receive individual posts... I missed the
            original postings with the political content.

            Alex

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <glen@...> wrote:

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@> wrote:
            >
            > Note that the original reply posts have been deleted. The repost
            is to
            > recreate the deleted reply WITHOUT the quoted content. This is the
            > only way to edit out quoted material that some members find
            offensive.
            > The alternative is to delete the reply post entirely without
            reposting
            > which is not fair to those who are making genuine contributions in
            > their replies.
            >
            > There are others, not just myself, who do not appreciate political
            > content and do find it offensive. When complaints are made it is
            my
            > duty as a moderator to act. My decision was to delete the
            offensive
            > post and delete the offensive post text that was quoted in
            following
            > replies without deleting the main content of the replies. Not easy
            > do within the limitations of yahoo, thus the repostings.
          • David K. Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
              Just one question... if all prior material is deleted from a post, how
              does one maintain context? I find quoted text to be useful; it's hard
              enough keeping track of multiple disjointed conversations in a non-
              threaded format. Then along comes an oddball remark, and I'm sitting
              here scratching my head wondering what the heck this person is carrying
              on about.

              --David

              http://jamesriverbranch.net/
              http://1-220.blogspot.com/
            • Alan Cox
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
                On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:59:17 -0000
                "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:

                > Just one question... if all prior material is deleted from a post, how
                > does one maintain context? I find quoted text to be useful;

                The request as I read it was not to stop quoting material, but to stop
                sending messages that looked like

                Me too !

                > [500 lines of quoted material]
              • Chris
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
                  Hi.

                  2009/3/1 Alan Cox <alan@...>:
                  > On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:59:17 -0000
                  > "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Just one question... if all prior material is deleted from a post, how
                  >> does one maintain context? I find quoted text to be useful;

                  I agree with that provided that the quoted text is relevant.

                  Continuity of messages, BTW, is IIRC maintained in the headers that
                  one does not usually see.

                  > The request as I read it was not to stop quoting material, but to stop
                  > sending messages that looked like
                  >
                  > Me too !
                  >
                  >> [500 lines of quoted material]

                  Precisely (except that the example I gave earlier was even worse with
                  over 600 lines of mostly irrelevant text).

                  Best wishes to all,
                  Chris.

                  --
                  Chris Manvell