Re: Rough Running

  • ronaldjhurley
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 28, 2009
      I like it Ralph! Any chance you could post a photo or two?

      ron

      > Here in NZ we also have a dust problem especially in the summer. My trains have to
      reside in the garage . Heres what I did.
      > Place 4 posts all the same height - one each corner of the layout. At the top of each
      post place 2 curtaian eye hooks at right angles to each other. Connect stretchy curtain
      wire tightly between the posts via the curtain hooks. I only had to do 3 sides as one side is
      a backdrop.. Get enough polythene plastic sheet to cover the layout and to hang down
      the sides.You can get this from a garden or hardware store.Drape the pastic over the
      curtain wires and adust to fit the layout. Attach a wooden rod to the edges of the long
      sides of the cover. This will keep the cover taught. Attach velcrose to the cover and layout
      base at various places where the cover meets th layout base.This will hold the cover in
      close to the layout. You will need to trim the corners of the polythene so that it is a neat
      fit all around the layout - allow a little for overlap around the corners.
      > When you need to remove the cover - unclip the velcrose and roll one long side of the
      polythene and then let it rest on the curtain wire over middle of the layout. do the same
      for the otherside you can the completely remove the cover without causing any damage
      to the layout. you can unhook the curtain wire and remove that . If you attached the posts
      in such a way as to make them removable ie into some sort of socket you can remove
      them as well. this is initially a little bit of work but I have had this system for 5 years and it
      is very easy to use. I have no problems with dust. but still need to clean the track with
      alcohol once or twice a year.also the loco wheels and pickups occasionally depending on
      use.also remember the wagons they also pick up grime - no use having a clean track and
      dirty wheels! the use of a track cleaning wagon also helps.

      > Ralph

    • Matthew Parker
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 1, 2009
        A hair dryer. Now that's a great idea. Thanks

        To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        From: AFN47583@...
        Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 12:53:55 -0500
        Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Rough Running

        Ever tried a simple hair dryer? Set on cool so you don't get heat and
        high speed it should do a decent job. I have a HEPA and negative ion
        generator going to keep the dust just about eliminated.

        Manfred