January/February 2009 Ztrack now available!

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
      [img]http://www.ztrack.com/graphics/covers/jan_feb_09.jpg%5b/img]

      The January/February 2009 issue of Ztrack Magazine is now available! In this
      issue, you will find articles on:

      Joe Szajko's Midwest Layout and Track Plan!
      Stegmann;s volcano module
      AZL's ACF 3-Bay covered hoppers
      Track buying guide
      Micron-Art offers B&O station
      Märklin's 2009 new items
      MTL release Amtrak MOW set
      John Mui CSX roster
      RSLaser releases new structures
      Kuwabara's SBB RAm 501-502
      And so much more!

      Also download your Szajko's track plan at:
      http://www.ztrack.com/trackplans/szajko/index.html

      This track plan uses MTL sectional track. It shows what can be done with this
      track system.

      Not a subscriber? Subscribe today to get started!

      www.ztrack.com

      Rob

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      Distributor American Z Line

    • John & Sue Bartolotto
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
        Rob,

        I was just thinking…it would be great if subscribers had the ability to view
        the entire Ztrack issue electronically like viewing Trainini, instead of
        waiting to receive it in the mail. Maybe as an option for a higher rate
        receive both issues in the mail and electronically if desired. Subscribers
        could have a special Ztrack issued/controlled user ID and password for
        electronic viewing of Ztrack. Maybe even for a higher subscription rate
        subscribers would be able to view all the past issues electronically also.

        Just a thought for the future.

        Yours,

        John Bartolotto

        _____

        com/graphics/covers/jan_feb_09.jpg[/img]

        http://www.ztrack. <http://www.ztrack.com/trackplans/szajko/index.html>
        com/trackplans/szajko/index.html

        This track plan uses MTL sectional track. It shows what can be done with
        this
        track system.

        Not a subscriber? Subscribe today to get started!

        www.ztrack.com

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        Distributor American Z Line

      • Alex
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
          John,

          I have made this suggetion repeatedly with Ztrack for an electronic
          version.
          I refuse to pay the costs for overseas postage for a magazine.
          I do not even want a hard copy. I am willing to pay the U.S.
          subscription rate without even receiving a printed copy.

          While I do not even begin to understand all the factors involved in
          releasing a publication... it seems to me that Ztrack could increase
          subscriptions by having an electronic version available.
          I'm sure there must be some savings involved in not having to print
          so many issues with expensive inks on high-gloss papers.

          I am sure that Ztrack is put together on a computer before being sent
          to a printer. I would think it would take very little effort to make
          the issue into a .pdf format.

          I have suggested the electronic version could be sent out in an e-
          mail directly to the subscriber.
          I, too, thought about the user ID and password... but, then you get
          into the expenses of having to maintain additional server
          requirements, etc.

          Alex
          Tokyo, Japan

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John & Sue Bartolotto" <jsbart@...>
          wrote:

          > Rob,
          >
          > I was just thinking…it would be great if subscribers had the
          ability to view
          > the entire Ztrack issue electronically like viewing Trainini,
          instead of
          > waiting to receive it in the mail. Maybe as an option for a higher
          rate
          > receive both issues in the mail and electronically if desired.
          Subscribers
          > could have a special Ztrack issued/controlled user ID and password
          for
          > electronic viewing of Ztrack. Maybe even for a higher subscription
          rate
          > subscribers would be able to view all the past issues
          electronically also.

          > John Bartolotto
        • Don A
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
            I can see POSSIBLY why Rob doesn't want to go digital but here is a
            suggestion I've made several times to Rob with no reults. In a few
            days, the first week in March, some of us will start to get the
            JANUARY / FEBRUARY issue. You can not imagine how many times I have
            had to rescue the current issue because "my librarian" thinks it is
            "two months old" per the cover date. I think what we are just getting
            should be MARCH / APRIL issue such as both N-Scale bi-monthlies and
            many other such bi-monthly magazines. I have seen potential buyers
            refuse to buy a ZTrack issue because it appears out of date.

            I don't think there is any cost associated with a change but just have
            a cover date of 4 months instead of 2. Obviously there would be a
            little tinkering on subscription expirations.

            ...my dimes worth ...

            ...don

          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
              Thank you for the comments. There are quite a few factors why we are not
              willing to offer an electronic version of current issues of Ztrack. One main
              factors is that we cannot include electronic subscriptions towards our subscriber
              totals. This is rules based by the United Postal Service as well as auditors of
              publications. Audited subscriber numbers are very important to publications.
              You will see that we published these numbers annually. Unfortunately,
              electronic versions will not count towards these audits.

              Second is the share factor. In the electronic age, it is just too easy to
              share electronic files. I am sure no one would shared that PDF of the current
              issue of Ztrack, but we know better. It just takes one person to post this PDF on
              a website for download and we face real loss of subscribers. Why pay if you
              can get it for free? We already see this with photo copies of Ztrack being
              distributed (yes it happens).

              Third, production. A large amount of time is required to convert our print
              files to electronic copies. This is one reason why we have not offered more back
              issues on CDs. In some cases, to produce one electronic version takes as much
              time as producing the issues from scratch.

              I always laugh at the date argument. So if I change the date to 2010, would
              this make us a year early? We are so wrapped up in the marketing that makes us
              believe we are getting something early that we loose facts that Ztrack is
              current. We are the first publication in the world to actually publish a list of
              Marklin 2009 new items. We can do this since we have a short window between
              production, print and distribution. Most magazines have lead times in the months,
              not days like we do for breaking news. This is one reason why we are a bit
              special in this regard. Just something to think about.

              Then again, is a layout really ever dated? Z news is always relevant. Past,
              present and future, it is all part of our hobby.

              Rob

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              Dublin, OH 43016
              phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
              www.ztrack.com
              www.ztrackcenter.com
              Distributor American Z Line

            • David George
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                I like Rob's dating method for Z Track. The dates indicate WHEN any reported events occured. The NTS is reported in the July issue,,,,,WHEN it occured.
                Cordially,
                Mister Dave

              • Alex
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                  Reynard,

                  "I just couldn't let some comments about Ztrack go unchallenged"

                  Actually... yes, you could.
                  Maybe you should read my post, again.
                  NO where do I make any type of negative comment about Ztrack.

                  I don't know where you are, but... Have you seen the difference in
                  subscription prices for foreign delivery compaired to domestic
                  delivery?
                  That is a fair amount of money that I can use to purchase actual Z-
                  scale items.
                  Yes... I get all of my Micro-Trains, AZL, Full Throttle, FR items
                  delivered from the U.S. and Europe to Japan.
                  The value of those items and the postage involved is a bit different
                  than having a publication delivered.

                  As for an electronic version... I mentioned a .pdf file. It is a file
                  that I can keep on my computer and reference at any time I need to. A
                  lot of bank statements, technical documents, invoices, and other
                  publications are delivered in this format. Nothing "gimmicky"... it
                  is a standard form of delivery for electronic documents.

                  Boring?
                  I can't understand how a "hard copy" of a publication is less boring
                  that the exact same item in an electronic version.

                  AGAIN... I NEVER made a single negative comment about the fine
                  publication that Ztrack is and has become. My comments are on what I
                  would like to see be made available... much like many other comments
                  on this forum about folks wishing for different pieces of rolling-
                  stock or locos.

                  Thank you for your attention...

                  Alex

                  > Hi Rob,
                  > I must defend your fine magazine in this case.
                  > Having some of the earliest versions of Ztrack,
                  > it is fascinating to compare how much richer and
                  > more colorful each new issue has become.
                  >
                  > Not purchase any publications that would come
                  > thru the mail from "foreign" lands? How silly!
                  > What about all your Marklin and MTL equipment?
                  > Where does it come from?
                  >
                  > It is a lot of work to create a publication and I
                  > enjoy these physical objects. eBooks are barely
                  > usable - I've tried to read a few but they are
                  > boring and too gimmicky for serious study or
                  > reference. Oops the battery is dying... bye
                  > bye, text...
                  >
                  > Shop owners who worry about the bi-monthly dates
                  > on Ztrack Magazine are just looking for an excuse and are
                  > probably not that interested in their customer's
                  > needs anyway.
                  >
                  > I just couldn't let some comments about Ztrack
                  > go unchallenged.
                  >
                  > Warm regardZ,
                  > Reynard
                • Reynard Wellman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009

                    On Feb 28, 2009, at 11:49 AM, ztrack@... wrote:

                    > [img]http://www.ztrack.com/graphics/covers/jan_feb_09.jpg%5b/img]
                    >
                    > The January/February 2009 issue of Ztrack Magazine is now
                    > available! In this
                    > issue, you will find articles on:
                    >
                    > Joe Szajko's Midwest Layout and Track Plan!
                    > Stegmann;s volcano module
                    > AZL's ACF 3-Bay covered hoppers
                    > Track buying guide
                    > Micron-Art offers B&O station
                    > Märklin's 2009 new items
                    > MTL release Amtrak MOW set
                    > John Mui CSX roster
                    > RSLaser releases new structures
                    > Kuwabara's SBB RAm 501-502
                    > And so much more!
                    >
                    > Also download your Szajko's track plan at:
                    > http://www.ztrack.com/trackplans/szajko/index.html
                    >
                    > This track plan uses MTL sectional track. It shows what can be done
                    > with this
                    > track system.
                    >
                    > Not a subscriber? Subscribe today to get started!
                    >
                    > www.ztrack.com
                    >
                    > Rob
                    >
                    > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    > Dublin, OH 43016
                    > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    > www.ztrack.com
                    > www.ztrackcenter.com
                    > Distributor American Z Line

                  • Alan Cox
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
                      > Second is the share factor. In the electronic age, it is just too easy to
                      > share electronic files. I am sure no one would shared that PDF of the current
                      > issue of Ztrack, but we know better. It just takes one person to post this PDF on
                      > a website for download and we face real loss of subscribers. Why pay if you
                      > can get it for free? We already see this with photo copies of Ztrack being
                      > distributed (yes it happens).

                      You realise of course that its as easy to scan a magazine and email
                      someone a zip file of the scan as to photocopy it - if not easier. In
                      fact in some ways its easier than a PDF because the PDF file can be
                      watermarked with the original recipient's information (which is what
                      people do with current itunes non-DRM music for example)

                      Alan
                    • Jim O'Connell
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
                        Rob, I can't wait for the Jan/Feb issue. Then we will all get to see
                        another photo here on the home page! I'm bored with it and it is MY
                        photo. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                      • Paul
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                          Got my Ztrack today.

                          Excellent. I always enjoy articles/spreads on layouts.

                          As expected..another excellent issue.

                          Paul

                          MidweZt HaulerZ

                        • ztrack@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                            Paul,

                            That is great news! I always feel much better knowing the issues are
                            arriving.