Editing Posts

  • Fred Ladd
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
      Please when responding to a thread, edit out the previous response.
      It's frustrating starting to read the same paragraph 4 or 5 times.
      We have had this problem in the past and corrective measures were
      requested.
      Fred
    • Don A
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
        Fred:

        One of the problems is that many of us use Firefox [and others] and we
        forget about this. The reason is that Firefox displays ONLY the most
        recent unread emails. They are in the string, but don't show unlesss
        requested. This means we see only the last entrie(s) and we appear to
        be responding to only the last entries. IOW we never see the repeats
        and forget about the folks who are using older email programs.

        ...now if eyerone would get into the 21st Century....

        ...don

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Ladd" <zeagle99@...> wrote:

        > Please when responding to a thread, edit out the previous response.
        > It's frustrating starting to read the same paragraph 4 or 5 times.
        > We have had this problem in the past and corrective measures were
        > requested.
        > Fred

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
          On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:02:03 -0000
          "Don A" <zbarr474@...> wrote:

          > Fred:
          >
          > One of the problems is that many of us use Firefox [and others] and we
          > forget about this. The reason is that Firefox displays ONLY the most
          > recent unread emails

          This isn't about unread emails, it is about deleting junk you don't need
          in the reply.
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
            I'm not sure that Firefox is at fault here. IE6 does the same.
            Googlemail (Gmail) 'hides' quoted text, though not always, and I think
            Thunderbird does as well.

            Personally, I do two types of reply (well, try to).

            Top post with just the most recent post appended - good for short posts - or
            Respond into the most recent post point by point and then delete all

            I was on one group (which left for a similar reason) where I counted
            602 lines of quoted text. The response was just a one-liner. Totally
            ridiculous and I said so in no uncertain terms. People still carried
            on doing it tho'.

            All the best,
            Chris.

            --
            Chris Manvell
            http://trains.manvell.org.uk, http://family.manvell.org.uk,
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
              The problem is Google Mail not your browser in Google Mail aka GMail
              if you clink the link and go to the source in this case yahoo groups
              and you can avoid this problem as you reply on Yahoo and can easily
              delete unwanted text. Unfortunately GMail posts the quote as an image
              so it is all in or all out and can not be edited.

              This is a feature of GMail which keeps everything on a thread in one
              file linked first to last. Figured this out when I could not edit the
              quoted text.

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Chris <cmanvell@...> wrote:

              > I'm not sure that Firefox is at fault here. IE6 does the same.
              > Googlemail (Gmail) 'hides' quoted text, though not always, and I
              think
              > Thunderbird does as well.
              >
              > Personally, I do two types of reply (well, try to).
              >
              > Top post with just the most recent post appended - good for short
              posts - or
              > Respond into the most recent post point by point and then delete all
              >
              > I was on one group (which left for a similar reason) where I counted
              > 602 lines of quoted text. The response was just a one-liner. Totally
              > ridiculous and I said so in no uncertain terms. People still carried
              > on doing it tho'.
              >
              > All the best,
              > Chris.
              >
              > 2009/2/28 Alan Cox <alan@...>:
              > > On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:02:03 -0000
              > >>
              > >> One of the problems is that many of us use Firefox [and others]
              and we
              > >> forget about this. The reason is that Firefox displays ONLY the
              most
              > >> recent unread emails
              >

              > --
              > Chris Manvell
            • Chris
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
                As I cannot stand multi-coloured and/or multi-fonted text, I always
                use Google Mail in its Plain Text mode rather than Rich Formatting.
                The result is that I can read my mails more easily and I can usually
                see and edit all the quoted text, and that which I cannot see can be
                called up by clicking "View quoted text".

                Chris.

                --
                Chris Manvell
                http://trains.manvell.org.uk, http://family.manvell.org.uk,
                http://skye.manvell.org.uk, http://bahai-faith.manvell.org.uk.
              • Manfred G
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
                  Chris,
                  I use thunderbird and it shows all of the post that is being replied to.
                  You just have to remember to go through it and edit out what you don't
                  need. I also get pretty tired of all the extra garbage left in posts
                  especially if they then post their reply at the end. If I start reading
                  and it's the same as what I just read, I hit the delete button, as do a
                  lot of others. There's just not enough time in the day to read the same
                  stuff over and over just to find where in the world the reply is. Bottom
                  line if you want to get your post read put the reply at the beginning or
                  at least a line to say you are replying in the quoted body.

                  Manfred