Need Help in learning to paint and build from scratch for z scale.

  • msksport
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
      Hello everyone,
      I have paid other people to do this and now I would like to learn how to do it and need
      help on where to start:

      My goal is to first learn how to paint a resin built semi-trailer and scratch build -
      buildings, homes, railroad cars, and autos, etc...
      1. Assembly the trailer - I first have to glue the tires and front trailer
      holder,
      2. Second - wash the resign trailer,
      3. Third - Sand any imperfections,
      4. Fourth - primer it,
      5. Fifth - then paint the trailer and tires and very very very small door
      handles, etc.
      6. Sixth - and finally attach decals to it.
      7. Seventh - I think then place a clear coat over all this?

      I have looked at catalogs from Micro Mark and email them. They emailed me back
      with a
      list of items needed to do the job. I was impressed with the quick response and
      answer.

      What I need help on:
      1. Does anyone or can anyone think of anything else I need to do on this
      trailer to finish
      it?
      2. Can anyone recommend any other supplier?
      3. Can anyone recommend the tools you think I will need for this?

      I have done some research and most of the items needed Micro-Mark mentioned but
      want to make sure I have everything and that I use the correct paint, glue, and
      company
      supplier, and etc...

      Can anyone have any advice???

      Thank you very much.

      Sincerely,
      msksport
    • Karin E. Snyder
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
        This is much simpler than you might think, have done many and never thought
        twice on how I had to do it.

        -just wash pieces carefully, dry thoroughly
        -sand only if you really need to (emery board works)
        -don't bother to prime it
        -simply paint it, either spray, brush, or airbrush if you have one. Easy on
        the paint
        -attach decals as per instructions
        -only clear coat if you want to, not necessary

        No need for special tools or knowledge. Everything you need you should be
        able to get locally, no need for special tools from Micro Mark for this job.
        This sounds like a Randy Brown kit and he makes it pretty easy for the user
        The best thing you can do for yourself is to keep it simple, sounds to me
        like you might be trying to paint a Rembrandt ;o} Given you have everything
        this could be done in 1/2 tops if you don't count drying time.

        Good luck and welcome to the fun world of building Z stuff.

[...]

      • mompey
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
          If you want to keep the decals, then you need to clear coat with
          lacquor, and this will also help if you weather the model with enamel
          paints, I love short cuts but this is not one...

          Mike.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin E. Snyder" <ladyrejoicer@...>
          wrote:

          > This is much simpler than you might think, have done many and never
          thought
          > twice on how I had to do it.
          >
          > -just wash pieces carefully, dry thoroughly
          > -sand only if you really need to (emery board works)
          > -don't bother to prime it
          > -simply paint it, either spray, brush, or airbrush if you have one.
          Easy on
          > the paint
          > -attach decals as per instructions
          > -only clear coat if you want to, not necessary
          >
          > No need for special tools or knowledge. Everything you need you
          should be
          > able to get locally, no need for special tools from Micro Mark for
          this job.
          > This sounds like a Randy Brown kit and he makes it pretty easy for
          the user
          > The best thing you can do for yourself is to keep it simple,
          sounds to me
          > like you might be trying to paint a Rembrandt ;o} Given you have
          everything
          > this could be done in 1/2 tops if you don't count drying time.
          >
          > Good luck and welcome to the fun world of building Z stuff.
          >
          > "My goal is to first learn how to paint a resin built semi-trailer
          and
          > scratch build -
          > buildings, homes, railroad cars, and autos, etc...
          > 1. Assembly the trailer - I first have to glue the tires and front
          trailer
          > holder,
          > 2. Second - wash the resign trailer,
          > 3. Third - Sand any imperfections,
          > 4. Fourth - primer it,
          > 5. Fifth - then paint the trailer and tires and very very very
          small door
          > handles, etc.
          > 6. Sixth - and finally attach decals to it.
          > 7. Seventh - I think then place a clear coat over all this?
          >
          > I have looked at catalogs from Micro Mark and email them. They
          emailed me
          > back
          > with a
          > list of items needed to do the job. I was impressed with the quick
          response
          > and
          > answer..."

        • Rogerio Neiva
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2009
            msksport, can you please email me the list of items that Micro Mark sent you
            (neiva.rogerio@...) ?

            Thank you and regards

            Roger

            --
            RN

          • Garth Hamilton
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2009
              With resin castings there are times when primer painting and fixing
              of imperfections in the casting is best done before assembly. So I
              wash and dry the parts first. Next I trim the pieces and check the
              fit and then use Squadron Green Putty (the white version will do the
              same job I just have a preference for the green as I have been using
              it for so long) to fill in any imperfections like depressions at mold
              separation lines then set them aside to set up for an hour then sand
              them and repeat the process until I am satisfied with the finish of
              the part. Then paint with a primer. Then depending on what it is I am
              assembling I decide on what to assemble before painting or what
              should be painted before assembly. Like the trailer I would paint the
              wheel bogie and landing gear and if the trailer floor is a separate
              piece I would assemble the floor with landing gear and wheel bogie
              and then paint before assembly while the body I would do any
              decalling and such while the panels are flat and easy to access. With
              resin I always install bulkheads in dead space as they are famous for
              warping over time.

              regards Garth

              At 12:18 AM 2/4/2009, "msksport" msksport@... wrote:

              >Hello everyone,
              >I have paid other people to do this and now I would like to learn
              >how to do it and need
              >help on where to start:
              >
              >My goal is to first learn how to paint a resin built semi-trailer
              >and scratch build -
              >buildings, homes, railroad cars, and autos, etc...
              >1. Assembly the trailer - I first have to glue the tires and front trailer
              >holder,
              >2. Second - wash the resign trailer,
              3. Third - Sand any imperfections,
              >4. Fourth - primer it,
              >5. Fifth - then paint the trailer and tires and very very very small door
              >handles, etc.
              >6. Sixth - and finally attach decals to it.
              >7. Seventh - I think then place a clear coat over all this?
              >
              >I have looked at catalogs from Micro Mark and email them. They emailed me back
              >with a
              >list of items needed to do the job. I was impressed with the quick
              >response and
              >answer.
              >
              >What I need help on:
              >1. Does anyone or can anyone think of anything else I need to do on this
              >trailer to finish
              >it?
              >2. Can anyone recommend any other supplier?
              >3. Can anyone recommend the tools you think I will need for this?
              >
              >I have done some research and most of the items needed Micro-Mark
              >mentioned but
              >want to make sure I have everything and that I use the correct
              >paint, glue, and
              >company
              >supplier, and etc...
              >
              >Can anyone have any advice???
              >
              >Thank you very much.
              >
              >Sincerely,
              >msksport
            • msksport
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2009
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mompey" <mompey@...> wrote:

                Hello: Do I clear coat the resin trailer first then apply the decals or do I apply the decals
                first and then put a clear coat???

                What brand and type of clear coat??

                Thank you.

                > If you want to keep the decals, then you need to clear coat with
                > lacquor, and this will also help if you weather the model with enamel
                > paints, I love short cuts but this is not one...
                >
                > Mike.
                >

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin E. Snyder" <ladyrejoicer@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > This is much simpler than you might think, have done many and never
                > thought
                > > twice on how I had to do it.
                > >
                > > -just wash pieces carefully, dry thoroughly
                > > -sand only if you really need to (emery board works)
                > > -don't bother to prime it
                > > -simply paint it, either spray, brush, or airbrush if you have one.
                > Easy on
                > > the paint
                > > -attach decals as per instructions
                > > -only clear coat if you want to, not necessary
                > >
                > > No need for special tools or knowledge. Everything you need you
                > should be
                > > able to get locally, no need for special tools from Micro Mark for
                > this job.
                > > This sounds like a Randy Brown kit and he makes it pretty easy for
                > the user
                > > The best thing you can do for yourself is to keep it simple,
                > sounds to me
                > > like you might be trying to paint a Rembrandt ;o} Given you have
                > everything
                > > this could be done in 1/2 tops if you don't count drying time.
                > >
                > > Good luck and welcome to the fun world of building Z stuff.
                > >
                > > "My goal is to first learn how to paint a resin built semi-trailer
                > and
                > > scratch build -
                > > buildings, homes, railroad cars, and autos, etc...
                > > 1. Assembly the trailer - I first have to glue the tires and front
                > trailer
                > > holder,
                > > 2. Second - wash the resign trailer,
                > > 3. Third - Sand any imperfections,
                > > 4. Fourth - primer it,
                > > 5. Fifth - then paint the trailer and tires and very very very
                > small door
                > > handles, etc.
                > > 6. Sixth - and finally attach decals to it.
                > > 7. Seventh - I think then place a clear coat over all this?
                > >
                > > I have looked at catalogs from Micro Mark and email them. They
                > emailed me
                > > back
                > > with a
                > > list of items needed to do the job. I was impressed with the quick
                > response
                > > and
                > > answer..."

              • Garth Hamilton
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4, 2009
                  It depends what the surface you are working with is like if the paint
                  is a flat coat then I use dulcoat first before I decal and then again
                  after I apply the decal. If the paint is a gloss coat then I decal
                  and the either dulcoat or gloss coat afterwards depending on the
                  finish I want. Sometimes depending on the thickness of the decal film
                  and the surface I am applying the decal too, I use a product like to
                  Solvaset right after applying the decal for snugging the decal down
                  on the surface particularly if you are going over ribs, despressions
                  or other details and such before finishing up with a dulcoat finish
                  after it dries thoroughly.

                  I use Railroad Colors spray tins for dulcoat and gloss finishes, but
                  if you have an airbrush you can get it in small bottles like paint
                  for brushing or using in a air brush. There are other brands of this
                  stuff around as well. Solavset I cut 50/50 with distilled water for
                  small thin decal film and 75/25 with distilled water for larger and
                  heavier decals. Make sure your decal is down first before applying
                  solvaset as this stuff will melt the film so if it is not down it
                  will scrunch your decal. Solvaset is not needed on flat surfaces
                  coated with dulcoat or gloss finish before decalling unless you are
                  having trouble getting the decal down on the surface.

                  this is my experience anyway

                  cheers
                  Garth