Marklin problem story

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
        Hello Alan,

        I used the Google Language tool to translate the article
        and yes, you are correct, the euros are drying up for
        some businesses like Marklin's. I just hope that they can
        hold out with a skeleton staff until this mess clears up,
        however long that might be...

        If we loose them, then Z scale will join the ranks of TT
        and S scales ...

        Reynard

        On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:44 AM, Alan Cox wrote:

        > http://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/stz/page/1936659_0_2147_massive-
        > probleme-bei-maerklin.html
        >
        > Not good news for Z...

      • Alex
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
          I thought Marklin had been bought out by a hold company?

          If Marklin folds... it is all of the scales, not just Z.
          If Marklin folds... I feel this will be good for the U.S. Z
          manufactures.

          Alex
          Tokyo, Japan

          > http://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/stz/page/1936659_0_2147_massive-
          probleme-bei-maerklin.html

          > Not good news for Z...
        • Karin E. Snyder
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
            But not for steam or for guys who model European, which I think is quite a
            few?

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
              Alex, I think if Marklin folds this will be bad for Z scale, and this
              is only the start of it, the full "global credit crisis" has'nt hit
              the MR hobby as yet I think there will be more casualties to come.

              Mike.

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:

              > I thought Marklin had been bought out by a hold company?
              >
              > If Marklin folds... it is all of the scales, not just Z.
              > If Marklin folds... I feel this will be good for the U.S. Z
              > manufactures.
              >
              > Alex
              > Tokyo, Japan
              >
              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Alan Cox <alan@> wrote:
              > >

              > > http://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/stz/page/1936659_0_2147_massive-
              > probleme-bei-maerklin.html
              > >
              > > Not good news for Z...

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
                That should be bad news for Nn3 guys as well, who widely use Marklin chassis for scratchbuilding duties..... And obviously I agreee with that Mike says below. Marklin and US manufacturers are not on the same "wave length" and in my opinion their respective products are not in competition. So Marklin's folding should have an effect on the general Z sales, and it would be bad for MTL and AZL either...

                Dom

                >Alex, I think if Marklin folds this will be bad for Z scale, and this
                >is only the start of it, the full "global credit crisis" has'nt hit
                >the MR hobby as yet I think there will be more casualties to come.
                >
                >Mike.
              • skye.chris
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:
                  > I thought Marklin had been bought out by a hold company?

                  It was bought out by a British holding company a while back but I
                  guess they have got their fingers burned with this one. You can find
                  out more on the Marklin User forum at
                  http://www.marklin-users.net/applications/forum3/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12107
                  (sorry webmaster but this is serious stuff) and
                  http://www.marklin-users.net/applications/forum3/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12141

                  > If Marklin folds... it is all of the scales, not just Z.

                  I assume that Trix will go under as well as they were taken over by
                  Marklin a few years back.

                  > If Marklin folds... I feel this will be good for the U.S. Z
                  > manufactures.

                  Maybe, but bad news for all of us who model European outline.

                  Chris.
                • Ben Scaro
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
                    If they do fold, then Z scale may enter the territory of TT in the UK
                    and USA.

                    One might say that isn't the end of the world if you are a
                    scratchbuilder . . . but who scratchbuilds in Z ?

                    As far as American Nn3, which is 99% steam, then yes, I suspect
                    things will become awful tough.

                    As a mainly diesel Nn3er who has always been more interested in
                    finding narrowable N chassis than worrying about Marklin, it will be
                    tough for me, but probably nowhere near as tough as for others.

                    In Britain, while many there source parts from the 2mm Association,
                    it is still pretty dire.

                    Wonder how the Japanese Z producers are going, and whether they might
                    get into steam ?

                    Ben

                    > That should be bad news for Nn3 guys as well, who widely use
                    Marklin chassis for scratchbuilding duties..... And obviously I
                    agreee with that Mike says below. Marklin and US manufacturers are
                    not on the same "wave length" and in my opinion their respective
                    products are not in competition. So Marklin's folding should have an
                    effect on the general Z sales, and it would be bad for MTL and AZL
                    either...

                    > Dom
                    >

                    > >Alex, I think if Marklin folds this will be bad for Z scale, and
                    this
                    > >is only the start of it, the full "global credit crisis" has'nt
                    hit
                    > >the MR hobby as yet I think there will be more casualties to come.
                    > >
                    > >Mike.

                  • Alan Cox
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
                      On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 07:43:31 -0000
                      "skye.chris" <cmanvell@...> wrote:

                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <butasama@...> wrote:
                      > > I thought Marklin had been bought out by a hold company?
                      >
                      > It was bought out by a British holding company a while back but I

                      Märklin file for bankrupcy -

                      http://fr-online.de/top_news/1669702_Pleite-statt-Party.html

                      Alan
                    • Chris Manvell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
                        Yes, a sad day indeed. However, it appears that under the terms of the
                        bankruptcy they will be able to carry on trading (as in US Chapter 11
                        etc.) and the last I heard was that they will be at the Nuremberg
                        Modellmesse.

                        Chris.

                        More here. http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,605441,00.html

                        --