The Monons Have Arrived!

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2009
      Full Throttle's Monon 2-bay, off-set hoppers have arrived in the Ztrack
      offices. For those Ztrack subscriber who pre-ordered their sets, we will begin
      shipping this week. If you haven't ordered your Exclusive Monon sets, they are
      still available! To order, please visit:

      http://www.ztrack.com/special/monon/index.html

      I would also like to give a big thanks for Uncle Will. These cars are
      wonderful! Will has really captured the prototype beautifully! Thank you Full
      Throttle!

      So why Monon? This is an interesting story. First, as you know, I like giving
      the mid sized roads some promotion. Though not as popular as the big names,
      these small roads make up our freights and add interest to our layouts. With
      this thought, we have offered DT&I and P&LE sets from Micro-Trains. We have been
      wanting to do a special run with Full Throttle but had not decided on a
      prototype.

      http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/0/0/6/9006.1229174886.jpg

      About two months ago, I was doing research on Rail Pictures.net. I absolutely
      love this site (www.railpictures.net). I found the above photo of a pair of
      Erie Lackawanna GP35s pulling a Monon two-bay offset side hopper. The photo was
      taken in Akron Ohio in 1976. Technically, the locos are actually Conrail but
      have not been painted over yet.

      I immediately thought of Full Throttle and sent a copy of the photo to Uncle
      Will. I thought this may be a good car for a future release. Of course, Will
      was already ahead of me! Will had the cars in planning stage with both the
      black Monon and a red Monon. Wow! Well have a flurry of emails, we agreed to make
      this run a Ztrack subscriber special!

      In doing subsequent research, Uncle Will and I found that the black Monon
      cars may have been repainted red CIL cars. We even found this photo from the
      Monon historical society (www.monon.org) showing a black two bay offset with the
      original CIL reporting marks still on red.

      http://www.monon.org/2008pow/08-03RSPOTW-Hopper4129-Wilson.jpg

      So put all of this information and inspired images together and we have a
      special run! I think you will agree that Full Throttle has done an excellent job
      at matching the prototype.

      Rob

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.