Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Micro Trains wish list

  • dpstripe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 1, 2009
      Mike,
      Making the mold has to be kept in mind during every stage of the design
      process, from prototype selection to the placement of details and textures.
      Depending on the amount of detail, undercuts, etc. the actual manufacture of the
      mold can take weeks or even months. I can't speak for MT's process
      specifically, but mold making generally requires several different machining processes,
      some automated, some not so much. The link below explains some of the basic
      principles of mold design. This is a site that does rapid injection molds for
      relatively basic parts. It is not the exact same process that MT or Bowser or
      AZL(?) are using. But it is a pretty good source for general information on
      the process. There is also a cool pdf document that explains the strengths
      and weaknesses of various rapid prototyping techniques.

      _http://www.protomold.com/Resources.aspx_
      (http://www.protomold.com/Resources.aspx)

      Dan S.

      In a message dated 2/1/2009 4:59:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      mnosal@... writes:

      Pardon for asking, but I'm not familiar with the process
      for making tooling for plastic injection molding. What are
      the main costs associated with doing so? How does one
      go from from a prototype to new tooling? (I'm leaving
      out the cost of research, measurements of prototype cars,
      etc. I'm talking just about actually making the mold.)

      --Mike

    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 4, 2009
        >Dom,
        >
        >While I work exclusively with flex track in N scale, I am designing a
        >Z layout for my wife. I would like to use all MT track products and
        >was wondering how the flex track mates with pre made roadbed of the MT
        >turnouts? I'm really not interested in using sectional track at all,
        >but I don't want to build the turnouts or pay outrageous money for
        >Marklin.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Mike Mahoney

        Hi Mike, unfortunately I can't give you a reply with the match MTL Flex / MTL turnouts as I'm using Pater Wright's turnouts ( http://www.wrightturnouts.com ). Finally I chose them instead of MTL's samples because I found that even the MTL's are prone to stalls at very low speed, although they are power routing. Wright's turnouts are to this prospect completely "clean" due to their technology, with non-articulated points.

        And About Marklin's turnouts and tracks I can't say, I don't use them as in my opinion they don't match prototype american track (and this ugly side mechanism bores me).

        Dom

        Ne pleurez pas si votre Webmail ferme ! Récupérez votre historique sur Yahoo! Mail ! http://fr.docs.yahoo.com/mail/transfert_mails.html