Re: Micro Trains wish list

  • mrnosal
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 1, 2009
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

      > Alex,
      > I would love more of your money and I would promise to spend it wisely, but
      > one thing you must realize.....since Z brings in a small percentage of
      > revenue for MTL, new tooling for new Z cars is not readily available. A new
      > car style will likely cost MTL over $30,000 at least if not more.

      Pardon for asking, but I'm not familiar with the process
      for making tooling for plastic injection molding. What are
      the main costs associated with doing so? How does one
      go from from a prototype to new tooling? (I'm leaving
      out the cost of research, measurements of prototype cars,
      etc. I'm talking just about actually making the mold.)

      --Mike
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 4, 2009
        >Dom,
        >
        >While I work exclusively with flex track in N scale, I am designing a
        >Z layout for my wife. I would like to use all MT track products and
        >was wondering how the flex track mates with pre made roadbed of the MT
        >turnouts? I'm really not interested in using sectional track at all,
        >but I don't want to build the turnouts or pay outrageous money for
        >Marklin.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Mike Mahoney

        Hi Mike, unfortunately I can't give you a reply with the match MTL Flex / MTL turnouts as I'm using Pater Wright's turnouts ( http://www.wrightturnouts.com ). Finally I chose them instead of MTL's samples because I found that even the MTL's are prone to stalls at very low speed, although they are power routing. Wright's turnouts are to this prospect completely "clean" due to their technology, with non-articulated points.

        And About Marklin's turnouts and tracks I can't say, I don't use them as in my opinion they don't match prototype american track (and this ugly side mechanism bores me).

        Dom

        Ne pleurez pas si votre Webmail ferme ! Récupérez votre historique sur Yahoo! Mail ! http://fr.docs.yahoo.com/mail/transfert_mails.html