Re: AZL latching couplers

  • Garth Hamilton
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 27, 2009
      I seem to recall that modern freight cars especially high capacity
      cars now run on 36 inch wheel sets rather than the older 33 inch
      ones. MTL's I think represent 33 inch size. Could it be that AZL is
      representing 36 inch as used on modern cars with roller bearing
      trucks. Having said that I think there are some enclosed auto racks
      that run on 30 inch or 28 inch wheels. Be interesting to see what the
      match is to prototype. There is more than one length for freight
      trucks as I recall.

      cheers
      Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Travis" <cliff@...> wrote:

      > I just got a few sers of the new AZL truck mounted couplersand find
      > that they couple Very Well. Wheels are metal and are very free
      wheeling.
      > Frames are plastic and well detailed.So far all is positive.
      >
      > I converted two MTL Tubular hoppers nad discovered some negatives.
      > Wheels are noticably larger than MTL's and are further apart. I
      cannot
      > say which ones are correctly dimensioned but difference is quit
      > noticable.Trucks have really excessive horizontal swing.
      >
      > The mount easily using origianl MTL bolster springs. AZL supplies
      pins
      > but they do not fit MTL bodies.
      >
      > The two cars with AZL couplers works VERY well but coupler height
      is so
      > low that they will not couple with MTL coupers althoughwhen at the
      same
      > height they appear to be completely compatible.
      >
      > Couplers are almost rigid in the coupler coupler housing whereas
      MTL
      > couplers move easily from side to side in the box. A real plus is
      that
      > the ASLs are rigid which should prevent the ojectionable bouncing
      which
      > occurs with MTL couplers.
      >
      > My initial enthusiasm for converting all of my cars to AZL couplers
      was
      > dampened by the points mentioned above.
      >
      > I sincerely hope that someone will find that I have done something
      > wrong and describe how the conversion to AZLz is easy and
      PRACTICAL.

    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 27, 2009
        Garth,

        Interesting point and this did cross my mind. I posted on Z Central Station a
        photo of a MTL 40' box car latched with a single Bettendorf truck. The height
        is dead on. I am very perplexed why Cliff's are not aligning.

        The link to the thread is:

        http://www.zcentralstation.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=57&
        amp;func=view&catid=15&id=1593#1867

        Of just see the AZL releases Bettendorf trucks thread. :)

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        Distributor American Z Line

      • Gary Russ
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009

          > Garth,
          >
          > Interesting point and this did cross my mind. I posted on Z Central Station a
          > photo of a MTL 40' box car latched with a single Bettendorf truck. The height
          > is dead on. I am very perplexed why Cliff's are not aligning.
          >
          > The link to the thread is:
          >
          > http://www.zcentralstation.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=57&
          > amp;func=view&catid=15&id=1593#1867
          >
          > Of just see the AZL releases Bettendorf trucks thread. :)
          >
          > Rob
          >

          > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          > Dublin, OH 43016
          > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          > www.ztrack.com
          > www.ztrackcenter.com
          > Distributor American Z Line

          How does uncoupling work with these new couplers?
        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 28, 2009
            I don't know what the respective radii are, but when looking at a 5-platform stack cars, it appears that the "inboard" trucks (ie those which are not to the extremities, those which support a platform each side side) have broader wheels than those to the extremities. But I don't remember the respective wheel radii.

            Dom

            >I seem to recall that modern freight cars especially high capacity
            >cars now run on 36 inch wheel sets rather than the older 33 inch
            >ones. MTL's I think represent 33 inch size. Could it be that AZL is
            >representing 36 inch as used on modern cars with roller bearing
            >trucks. Having said that I think there are some enclosed auto racks
            >that run on 30 inch or 28 inch wheels. Be interesting to see what the
            >match is to prototype. There is more than one length for freight
            >trucks as I recall.
          • W.R.Dixon
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 30, 2009
              Garth Hamilton wrote:
              > I seem to recall that modern freight cars especially high capacity
              > cars now run on 36 inch wheel sets rather than the older 33 inch
              > ones.

              The difference in Z scale is .0135", not enough to notice.

              33" wheels should be .15" in diameter.
              36" wheels should be .163" in diameter. Anybody measure some wheel sets
              recently?

              Regards
              Bill Dixon
            • David K. Smith
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 31, 2009
                Yes, as a matter of fact, I've been measuring a lot of wheels
                recently.

                The Micro-Trains Z scale 33" wheels measure 33.75 scale inches. (By
                the way, the AZL metal wheels from their roller bearing trucks are
                33.5 scale inches.) For anyone who really, really wants 36" Z scale
                wheels, get some Nn3 trucks. These wheels measure 36.25 scale inches.

                The difference is indeed hard to discern, but it's quite noticable
                when 33" and 36" wheels are side-by-side.

                --David

                http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "W.R.Dixon" <WRDixon@...> wrote:

                > Garth Hamilton wrote:
                > > I seem to recall that modern freight cars especially high
                capacity
                > > cars now run on 36 inch wheel sets rather than the older 33 inch
                > > ones.
                >
                > The difference in Z scale is .0135", not enough to notice.
                >
                > 33" wheels should be .15" in diameter.
                > 36" wheels should be .163" in diameter. Anybody measure some wheel
                sets
                > recently?
                >
                > Regards
                > Bill Dixon

              • Ben Scaro
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
                  I make MT 957 wheels as 4.2mm or 0.163", so for Z that's pretty much
                  spot on for a 36" wheel.

                  I may be guessing but I think these 957 wheels are the ones in Nn3
                  trucks, where they scale to 2'2 1/2" diameter.

                  I think the smaller MT ones are 950s and they are 3.8mm diameter.

                  Marklin metal wheels (either silver or blackened) are a heftier
                  4.44mm or 0.175".

                  I model Nn3 Australian so for me, bigger is better. 4.75mm would be
                  spot on but I doubt I'll get it.

                  For anyone who wants them, I believe Marklin are the only ones who do
                  spoked wheels, but they are not used much except in their collectors
                  4-wheel beer vans that they put out every year as a novelty Christmas
                  item.

                  But the spoked section is not 'see through', it is a plastic spoke
                  insert into a metal wheel. Again, they are 4.44mm or 0.175" dia.

                  You certainly can tell a 33" and 36" wheel side by side; or at least
                  I can. This is simply because diameter isn't a measurement of length-
                  it's to do with area, so it obviously affects the overall visible
                  area of the wheel.

                  Ben

                  > The Micro-Trains Z scale 33" wheels measure 33.75 scale inches. (By
                  > the way, the AZL metal wheels from their roller bearing trucks are
                  > 33.5 scale inches.) For anyone who really, really wants 36" Z scale
                  > wheels, get some Nn3 trucks. These wheels measure 36.25 scale
                  inches.

                  > The difference is indeed hard to discern, but it's quite noticable
                  > when 33" and 36" wheels are side-by-side.
                  >
                  > --David

                • David K. Smith
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 2, 2009
                    OK, here's a really odd situation... The wheels in AZL's roller
                    bearing trucks are 0.15 in, or 33 scale inches on the button. Bear in
                    mind that the ought to be 36 inch wheels.

                    However, the wheels in their new Bettendorf trucks are .17 inches, or
                    ~37.4 scale inches, when they should be 33 inch wheels! I had to
                    measure the new wheels about four times before I could believe it.

                    So, to be accurate, one needs to buy equal numbers of the two AZL
                    trucks and swap all of the wheels!

                    Did I step off the bus onto the wrong planet or something?
                    <wanders off muttering to himself>

                    --David

                    http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                    http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Scaro" <bscaro@...> wrote:

                    > I make MT 957 wheels as 4.2mm or 0.163", so for Z that's pretty
                    much
                    > spot on for a 36" wheel.
                    >
                    > I may be guessing but I think these 957 wheels are the ones in Nn3
                    > trucks, where they scale to 2'2 1/2" diameter.
                    >
                    > I think the smaller MT ones are 950s and they are 3.8mm diameter.
                    >
                    > Marklin metal wheels (either silver or blackened) are a heftier
                    > 4.44mm or 0.175".
                    >
                    > I model Nn3 Australian so for me, bigger is better. 4.75mm would be
                    > spot on but I doubt I'll get it.
                    >
                    > For anyone who wants them, I believe Marklin are the only ones who
                    do
                    > spoked wheels, but they are not used much except in their
                    collectors
                    > 4-wheel beer vans that they put out every year as a novelty
                    Christmas
                    > item.
                    >
                    > But the spoked section is not 'see through', it is a plastic spoke
                    > insert into a metal wheel. Again, they are 4.44mm or 0.175" dia.
                    >
                    > You certainly can tell a 33" and 36" wheel side by side; or at
                    least
                    > I can. This is simply because diameter isn't a measurement of
                    length-
                    > it's to do with area, so it obviously affects the overall visible
                    > area of the wheel.
                    >
                    > Ben
                    >

                    > > The Micro-Trains Z scale 33" wheels measure 33.75 scale inches.
                    (By
                    > > the way, the AZL metal wheels from their roller bearing trucks
                    are
                    > > 33.5 scale inches.) For anyone who really, really wants 36" Z
                    scale
                    > > wheels, get some Nn3 trucks. These wheels measure 36.25 scale
                    > inches.
                    > >
                    > > The difference is indeed hard to discern, but it's quite
                    noticable
                    > > when 33" and 36" wheels are side-by-side.
                    > >
                    > > --David

                  • David K. Smith
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                      I was really curious how AZL came up with their easier-coupling "Auto-
                      Latch" couplers. Do they represent new tooling?

                      Nope.

                      The original "hard-coupling" AZL design has a small pin molded onto
                      the side of the knuckle. This pin keeps the two coupler parts from
                      spreading.

                      The new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers are the old couplers
                      with this pin clipped off.

                      Which means... yes, you can convert the original "hard-coupling" AZL
                      couplers into new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers by simply
                      clipping off this pin.

                      Go figure...

                      --David

                      http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                      http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                    • David K. Smith
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                        Correction to this post:

                        The newer couplers are newer tooling. They do not have the flash that
                        the older ones did. But they also do not have much in the way of side-
                        to-side movement; they are very stiff, compared to their older
                        couplers which moved side-to-side relatively easily.

                        That said, it is still possible to make the older couplers easier to
                        couple by simply clipping off the pins on the side of the knuckle.

                        Sorry for the confusion.

                        --David

                        http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                        http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:

                        > I was really curious how AZL came up with their easier-
                        coupling "Auto-
                        > Latch" couplers. Do they represent new tooling?
                        >
                        > Nope.
                        >
                        > The original "hard-coupling" AZL design has a small pin molded onto
                        > the side of the knuckle. This pin keeps the two coupler parts from
                        > spreading.
                        >
                        > The new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers are the old couplers
                        > with this pin clipped off.
                        >
                        > Which means... yes, you can convert the original "hard-coupling"
                        AZL
                        > couplers into new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers by simply
                        > clipping off this pin.
                        >
                        > Go figure...
                        >
                        > --David
                        >
                        > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                        > http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                      • David K. Smith
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                          Yes, folks, today I'm a spammer. One more correction.

                          Cutting the pins off the sides of the older AZL couplers does indeed
                          make them easier to couple... but it makes them prone to unscheduled
                          uncoupling.

                          Live and learn!

                          --David

                          http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                          http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:

                          > Correction to this post:
                          >
                          > The newer couplers are newer tooling. They do not have the flash
                          that
                          > the older ones did. But they also do not have much in the way of
                          side-
                          > to-side movement; they are very stiff, compared to their older
                          > couplers which moved side-to-side relatively easily.
                          >
                          > That said, it is still possible to make the older couplers easier
                          > couple by simply clipping off the pins on the side of the knuckle.
                          >
                          > Sorry for the confusion.
                          >
                          > --David
                          >
                          > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                          > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                          >
                          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I was really curious how AZL came up with their easier-
                          > coupling "Auto-
                          > > Latch" couplers. Do they represent new tooling?
                          > >
                          > > Nope.
                          > >
                          > > The original "hard-coupling" AZL design has a small pin molded
                          onto
                          > > the side of the knuckle. This pin keeps the two coupler parts
                          from
                          > > spreading.
                          > >
                          > > The new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers are the old
                          couplers
                          > > with this pin clipped off.
                          > >
                          > > Which means... yes, you can convert the original "hard-coupling"
                          > AZL
                          > > couplers into new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers by
                          simply
                          > > clipping off this pin.
                          > >
                          > > Go figure...
                          > >
                          > > --David
                          > >
                          > > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                          > > http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                        • John Mui
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                            David, you can spam anytime you want. It sounded like a great idea.

                            John
                            > Yes, folks, today I'm a spammer. One more correction.
                            >
                            > Cutting the pins off the sides of the older AZL couplers does indeed
                            > make them easier to couple... but it makes them prone to unscheduled
                            > uncoupling.
                            >
                            > Live and learn!
                            >
                            > --David
                            >
                            > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                            > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                            >

                            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Correction to this post:
                            >>
                            >> The newer couplers are newer tooling. They do not have the flash
                            > that
                            >> the older ones did. But they also do not have much in the way of
                            > side-
                            >> to-side movement; they are very stiff, compared to their older
                            >> couplers which moved side-to-side relatively easily.
                            >>
                            >> That said, it is still possible to make the older couplers easier
                            >> couple by simply clipping off the pins on the side of the knuckle.
                            >>
                            >> Sorry for the confusion.
                            >>
                            >> --David
                            >>
                            >> http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                            >> http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                            >>
                            >> --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@> wrote:
                            >> >
                            >> > I was really curious how AZL came up with their easier-
                            >> coupling "Auto-
                            >> > Latch" couplers. Do they represent new tooling?
                            >> >
                            >> > Nope.
                            >> >
                            >> > The original "hard-coupling" AZL design has a small pin molded
                            > onto
                            >> > the side of the knuckle. This pin keeps the two coupler parts
                            > from
                            >> > spreading.
                            >> >
                            >> > The new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers are the old
                            > couplers
                            >> > with this pin clipped off.
                            >> >
                            >> > Which means... yes, you can convert the original "hard-coupling"
                            >> AZL
                            >> > couplers into new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers by
                            > simply
                            >> > clipping off this pin.
                            >> >
                            >> > Go figure...
                            >> >
                            >> > --David
                            >> >
                            >> > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                            >> > http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                          • David K. Smith
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                              Thanks, John.

                              In case anyone would like to see a photo comparing old and new AZL
                              truck designs, here you go (old, top; new, bottom):

                              http://jamesriverbranch.net/images/azl_trucks.jpg

                              --David

                              http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                              http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Mui" <jmui@...> wrote:

                              > David, you can spam anytime you want. It sounded like a great idea.
                              >
                              > John

                            • Cliff Travis
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                                Hi,
                                Thanks for your info about old & new AZL latching couplers. Do you
                                think that the rigid mounting of the coupler will ahve any affect on
                                ability to run on small radius track.? I have cinverted 4 carswith
                                the new trucks but have not yety had a chaance to run them. They are
                                as free runmning as the Japanese ProZ trucks but unfortunately doe
                                not have thr metal bearing surface provied by the Kato style current
                                pickups and the wheels are less prone to falling out than those in
                                MTL trucks.
                                Cliff

                                > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                                >

                                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Correction to this post:
                                > >
                                > > The newer couplers are newer tooling. They do not have the flash
                                > that
                                > > the older ones did. But they also do not have much in the way of
                                > side-
                                > > to-side movement; they are very stiff, compared to their older
                                > > couplers which moved side-to-side relatively easily.
                                > >
                                > > That said, it is still possible to make the older couplers easier
                                > > couple by simply clipping off the pins on the side of the knuckle.
                                > >
                                > > Sorry for the confusion.
                                > >
                                > > --David
                                > >
                                > > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                > > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                                > >
                                > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I was really curious how AZL came up with their easier-
                                > > coupling "Auto-
                                > > > Latch" couplers. Do they represent new tooling?
                                > > >
                                > > > Nope.
                                > > >
                                > > > The original "hard-coupling" AZL design has a small pin molded
                                > onto
                                > > > the side of the knuckle. This pin keeps the two coupler parts
                                > from
                                > > > spreading.
                                > > >
                                > > > The new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers are the old
                                > couplers
                                > > > with this pin clipped off.
                                > > >
                                > > > Which means... yes, you can convert the original "hard-
                                coupling"
                                > > AZL
                                > > > couplers into new easier-to-couple "Auto-Latch" couplers by
                                > simply
                                > > > clipping off this pin.
                                > > >
                                > > > Go figure...
                                > > >
                                > > > --David
                                > > >
                                > > > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                > > > http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                              • David K. Smith
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                                  Cliff--

                                  As long as all of your cars all have truck-mounted couplers, there
                                  should not be a problem. I have 6-inch radius curves on my layout,
                                  and have not seen any problems yet. I think where you'll run into
                                  trouble is mixing truck- and body-mounted couplers (early M-T freight
                                  cars all had body-mounted couplers by default).

                                  --David

                                  http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                  http://1-220.blogspot.com/