Re: [Z_Scale] smallest Z scale radius

  • Chris Manvell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2009
      I have teh first part of a branch line using 145mm rad curves as well
      as climbing a 4% slope. All the locos on my layout have to at least
      climb the first few inches in order to get to the loco sheds.
      Certainly all the six coupled locos have no problem and at my last
      exhibition I had a Bavarian S3/6 (2'C1' h4v 2'2'T) reversing up it
      pushing thee coaches 2-axle coaches round 180 degrees no problem. I am
      sure it could have handled more.

      Of course longer coaches, esp. the modern 26m ones, are going to have
      problems occasionally and do look absolutely ridiculous! In fact they
      look pretty bad on all radii which is why I shall be selling all mine
      some time (that and to make a bit of money).

      Best wishes,
      Chris.

      2009/1/23 Ralph Scott <ralph.scott@...>:
      > Marklin's 8510 set curves are 145mm radius or 290mm dia . the track ties are
      > about 12mm wide and you need to allow another 6mm for carriage overhang and
      > ballast so your working diameter would be 290 + 12 + 6 = 318mm. This is a
      > very tight radius but 0-6-0 and small BoBo locos eg swiss Re4/4 will run on
      > it .
      >
      > 8510 = 145mm Radius
      > 8520 = 195mm Radius
      > 8530 = 220mm Radius
      > 8591 = 490mm Radius (matches their turnouts.)
      >
      > Ralph

      Chris Manvell
      E: chris@..., T: 01471 822317, M: 078151 89991
      W: http://trains.manvell.org.uk, http://family.manvell.org.uk,