Re: Yahoo is Tracking Group Members

  • Don A
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2009
      What is the differenec of Yahoo shadowing you wherever you go vs
      General Motors shadowing Ralph Nader after he wrote his book "Unsafe
      at any Speed". Didn't GM have to pay some very big dollars to settle
      the case??

      ...don

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

      > Ellsworth, This is new news for you and probably a lot of others,
      but yahoo
      > has had this in place since they took over egroups over 10 years ago.

    • Garth Hamilton
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2009
        It isn't just Yahoo that is doing this and this has been going on for
        years. We get free services from any organization that can find out
        about our habits and sell that information to others for marketing.
        If you have a Norton total security package that is all inclusive
        they will delete these web beacons and tracking cookies from your
        system as often as your specify or as soon as they appear. If you
        monitor the output from your computer you can see when your computer
        tries to contact the internet and can block these devices from
        passing their information. This feature is built into Windows XP and
        Vista remember when you are asked each time something runs if you
        really want to do this. Many of us get ticked as this and don't pay
        attention to it and just say yes each time. There are other packages
        that do a similar job some better than others. You can also build a
        proxy server or subscribe to one of the cloaking services that hides
        your actual IP from all sites you visit.

        But if you are that worried about such things you would be horrified
        about what information the various credit bureaus hold on you. To
        avoid tracking you have to start by running totally by cash, no
        credit, no bank, no credit cards, no postal address, no federal tax
        account, no doctors office visits, no dentist office visits, no
        organized work where you receive a pay check no contact with the
        police, no passport, no drivers license, don't attend school, don't
        have your birth recorded, live so remote you are not included in a
        census, don;'t fly, don't ride a train don't have a social insurance
        number etc etc etc

        Get over it because everything you do in live to interact with others
        leaves a trail that someone can and do record and track. Most of us
        are totally unaware of all the data collection that goes on about us
        and are horrified when we discover it. From the day you entered this
        world people have been saving data on you. The older you get the
        bigger the pile of data that is amassed gets.

        Happy New Year
        all big brother is still watching

        Garth

        At 08:05 AM 1/2/2009, "Ellsworth Geib" geib@... you wrote:
        >I received the following message from the Potomac Division of the NMRA.
        >
        >"Yahoo is Tracking Group Members
        >
        >Yahoo is now using "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user.
        >It's similar to cookies,
        >but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you visit,
        >even when you're not
        >connected to Yahoo. Look at their updated privacy statement at
        >
        >http://info. yahoo.com/ privacy/us/ yahoo/details. html
        >
        >About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will
        >see a link that says
        >WEB BEACONS.
        >
        >Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the
        >left find a box entitled
        >"Opt-Out."
        >
        >In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link
        >that will let you "opt-
        >out" of their snooping. Click it and then click the opt-out button
        >on the next page.
        >
        >Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to
        >opt-out of it - is not user-
        >specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means you will have to
        >opt-out on every computer
        >(and browser) you use."
        >

        >It's getting a little scary what Yahoo and others can do behind our backs.
        >
        >Ell Geib
      • Don A
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2009
          I think it is quite a bit different to collect EXISTING data as
          opposed to following/shadowing/stalking you. I'll bet some attorney
          whose practice is down could have a field day with this. Yahoo must
          feel there is something special and not be too sure of themselves if
          they allow an "opt-out". On existing data, I no of no way that you
          can "opt-out" of someone collecting it. BTW Ralphie Nader appears to
          have collected about $450,000 in 1970 dollars or about $2,000,000 in
          2009 dollars.

          ...don

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garthah@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > >http://info. yahoo.com/ privacy/us/ yahoo/details. html
          > >
          > >About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will
          > >see a link that says
          > >WEB BEACONS.
          > >
          > >Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the
          > >left find a box entitled
          > >"Opt-Out."
          > >
          > >In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link
          > >that will let you "opt-
          > >out" of their snooping. Click it and then click the opt-out button
          > >on the next page.
          > >
          > >Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to
          > >opt-out of it - is not user-
          > >specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means you will have to
          > >opt-out on every computer
          > >(and browser) you use."
          > >

          > >It's getting a little scary what Yahoo and others can do behind our

        • Loren
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2009
            Garth,
            Now days you have to be dead to be forgotten.........nice combo eh?

            > But if you are that worried about such things you would be horrified
            > about what information the various credit bureaus hold on you. To
            > avoid tracking you have to start by running totally by cash, no
            > credit, no bank, no credit cards, no postal address, no federal tax
            > account, no doctors office visits, no dentist office visits, no
            > organized work where you receive a pay check no contact with the
            > police, no passport, no drivers license, don't attend school, don't
            > have your birth recorded, live so remote you are not included in a
            > census, don;'t fly, don't ride a train don't have a social insurance
            > number etc etc etc

            > Happy New Year
            > all big brother is still watching
            >
            > Garth
          • Ellsworth Geib
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
              Garth,

              I've been around way too long not to fully understand most of what you say. I sent my first
              e-mail via Arpanet, for example, the precursor to the internet. And everything we did
              electronically where I worked (Defense Dept.) was recorded and stored for eternity. It's
              long been a problem that when something gets into "the computer", it is treated as sacred
              fact, whether it was a mistake or not. However, as "Don A" says, the idea of
              "following/shadowing/stalking you" with these Web Beacons was new to me. After my
              post, I learned of and visited

              http://networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp

              where I found several things beyond Yahoo that have me in their clutches, and I can't
              determine who or what they are. I despise the practice of having to Opt-Out rather than
              Opt-In. But I really, really dislike the idea that I am "In" and unaware of it.

              I'll have to see what is available for the Mac to help reduce some of this Big Brother stuff.

              Ell

            • David K. Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
                Garth--

                All quite true. There are tons of data on each of us. However, for
                those who are upset by this, bear a few things in mind.

                First, unless we revert back to keeping our greebacks under the
                mattress, modern life requires quite a bit of personal data to be
                stored and used.

                Second, 99.9% of "tracking" data is not used in a malicious way; it's
                the folks who don't have their compuers protected who should be
                worrying--they unwittingly help drive the data black market with
                their "zombie" computers acting as accomplices for the evildoers.
                It's unsettling to think that most spam and data theft schemes
                are "powered" by innocent people who just don't have a clue about
                their own computers, and leave them running unprotected 24/7.

                Third, the concept of "big brother" should really only scare people
                who have something to hide. True, on rare occasion some innocent Joe
                gets his life turned inside out by mistake, but people stand a much
                better chance of being killed in a car accident.

                Fourth, based on observations I've made of some data-keepers,
                our "secrets" are quite safe because they are in the hands of dimwits
                who haven't a clue how to manage the data they have--not to mention
                they have entirely too much data to manage in the first place. Safety
                in numbers!

                I used to lay awake nights fretting over my charge card number
                being "out there" for someone to misuse. But, I keep my compter very
                well protected, and I'm extremely mindful of the sites where I make
                transactions, and over time I've gotten over my fears. Beyond that,
                if someone is "following" me as I surf the web, well, I cannot for
                the life of me imagine how this information could be exploited
                maliciously. The WWW is in such a constant state of flux that half
                the sites I've visited are probably gone, and the others are pretty
                darned boring!

                A friend of mine used to joke, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't
                mean they're not watching." But seriously, aside from taking the
                standard precautions against identity theft, I pretty much just
                ignore everything else and carry on. If someone wants to know were I
                surf, or what message boards I frequent, well, good luck to them
                trying to figure out how to take advantage of that information.

                --David

                http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                http://1-220.blogspot.com/

              • Alan Cox
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
                  > Second, 99.9% of "tracking" data is not used in a malicious way; it's

                  Do you define malicious as "charging you different amounts for
                  the same product according to a mathematic model of your income"

                  I certainly prefer them to have poor or invalid data so they can't screw
                  me.

                  > Third, the concept of "big brother" should really only scare people
                  > who have something to hide. True, on rare occasion some innocent Joe
                  > gets his life turned inside out by mistake, but people stand a much
                  > better chance of being killed in a car accident.

                  Please cite the statistical data you are using. I don't believe you, and
                  if you knew someone with the same name as someone on the US idiot no-fly
                  list you'd have different views I think.

                  > Fourth, based on observations I've made of some data-keepers,
                  > our "secrets" are quite safe because they are in the hands of dimwits
                  > who haven't a clue how to manage the data they have--not to mention
                  > they have entirely too much data to manage in the first place. Safety
                  > in numbers!

                  Those are the people who lose copies of all their data and post it
                  unencrypted on CD and lose them (like the UK government...)

                  > I used to lay awake nights fretting over my charge card number
                  > being "out there" for someone to misuse. But, I keep my compter very
                  > well protected, and I'm extremely mindful of the sites where I make
                  > transactions, and over time I've gotten over my fears. Beyond that,

                  (some real statistics for you: more card fraud occurs by phone than
                  internet - because the phone ordering involves a human paid minimum wage
                  having all your details. Internet retailers go to huge lengths to keep
                  card numbers and info from ever being in the hands of an employee.
                  Companies that do electronic card handling are also subject to regular
                  security audits and a strict security policy from the card companies).

                  > if someone is "following" me as I surf the web, well, I cannot for
                  > the life of me imagine how this information could be exploited
                  > maliciously.

                  The advertisers use it to build an exact profile of you to optimise their
                  advertising but also in some cases to change the prices you are offered.
                  Its the electronic equivalent of the rule about going to buy electronic
                  goods or a car looking shabby, and never wearing a suit when you are
                  going to haggle.

                  Fraudsters and scammers don't generally have access to the same data sets
                  (although obviously when there are leaks...). They often work off public
                  data however - names of relatives and parents etc

                  Find a person who runs a business
                  Get the business address
                  Look em up on facebook
                  Build a map of their relatives
                  Find their mothers family if at all possible
                  Get the mothers maiden name

                  At that point you've typically got enough to scam a bank account or a
                  hire purchase (although companies have gotten a lot more careful).

                  A recent and even more evil variant of this involves using a cheque to get
                  a persons account details, picking up name and address information from
                  them (easy if its an order you lifted) then transferring money to the
                  persons account. A common bank authentication approach when you phone up
                  and forget passwords etc will be

                  "Name" blah
                  "Date of birth" blah off facebook
                  "Mothers maiden name" blah off facebook
                  "Can you tell me one of your most recent transactions"
                  "Certainly ...." (give details of xfer from another stolen acct
                  into this one)

                  Some of the scammers are very very clever and there is an ongoing battle
                  between the banks, business world and scammers to invent new techniques.

                  Alan
                • David K. Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
                    OK, then, I suppose I'd better batten down the hatches and be
                    prepared for the worst! Clearly I've underestimated the hostile
                    nature of the world.

                    --David

                    http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                    http://1-220.blogspot.com/

> [...]
                    to get
                    > a persons account details, picking up name and address information
                    from
                    > them (easy if its an order you lifted) then transferring money to
                    the
                    > persons account. A common bank authentication approach when you
                    phone up
                    > and forget passwords etc will be
                    >
                    > "Name" blah
                    > "Date of birth" blah off facebook
                    > "Mothers maiden name" blah off facebook
                    > "Can you tell me one of your most recent transactions"
                    > "Certainly ...." (give details of xfer from another stolen
                    acct
                    > into this one)
                    >
                    > Some of the scammers are very very clever and there is an ongoing
                    battle
                    > between the banks, business world and scammers to invent new

                  • Larry Card
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
                      > Third, the concept of "big brother" should really only scare people
                      > who have something to hide.

                      I would prefer not to have the police search through my underwear drawer without a warrant, not because I have something to hide but simply because it's none of their business what's in there. Likewise, the concept of big brother keeping an eye on me "just because" bothers me, not because I have something to hide but because it's none of their damn business what I'm doing or how I'm spending my time, as long as I am not bringing physical or financial harm to anyone through force or fraud.

                      It also bothers me that not more people are bothered by that.

                      > Fourth, based on observations I've made of some data-keepers,
                      > our "secrets" are quite safe because they are in the hands of dimwits
                      > who haven't a clue how to manage the data they have--not to mention
                      > they have entirely too much data to manage in the first place. Safety
                      > in numbers!

                      Which is why you have those very same dimwits putting your personal information on laptops, which they then take home, which are then stolen out of their cars, and then your personal information belongs to some hacker or ID thief. I wouldn't call that exactly safe, and it's another good reason to be bothered by "big brother" watching you. FWIW, my personal information has had the opportunity to be lost in exactly that way, once through the US Navy and once through the VA, within a 3 year span.

                      > if someone is "following" me as I surf the web, well, I cannot for
                      > the life of me imagine how this information could be exploited
                      > maliciously.

                      But those who would exploit you maliciously have all sorts of ideas, and a very good imagination. Ten years ago we couldn't fathom the World Trade Center towers 1 and 2 being taken down by jet airliners...but someone else could. We couldn't imagine what someone would do with our information because we wouldn't be so inclined to be malicious with someone else's information. Others aren't so magnanamous.

                      > surf, or what message boards I frequent, well, good luck to them
                      > trying to figure out how to take advantage of that information.

                      Luck has nothing to do with it.

                      V/R
                      Larry P. Card
                      Franklinton NC

                    • Larry Card
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
                        > Now days you have to be dead to be forgotten.........nice combo eh?

                        And sometimes even that doesn't work...
                        V/R
                        Larry P. Card
                        Franklinton NC