SM70M AZL Locos

  • Ed Turner
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2008
      Has anyone had any experience changing the front coupler out and adding the snowplow front?

    • John Mui
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2008
        Ed, its easy. Just snap the front coupler out, and insert the
        pilot/snowplow. I like to align the tabs of the pilot on one side and slowly
        spread the other side so I can slide in the tab, and dont use too much
        force. You dont want to break anything. :D

        John

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2008
          I was wondering as the directions aren't very clear. They state that the front coupler must be broke off. Is that true?

          Ed

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2008
            Not really, Ed. The coupler and truck is two piece, so you are not breaking
            anything.

            John
            >I was wondering as the directions aren't very clear. They state that the
            >front coupler must be broke off. Is that true?
            >
            > Ed
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Ed Turner
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2008
              Thanks for the help, John. I will try later this evening

              ________________________________
              Not really, Ed. The coupler and truck is two piece, so you are not breaking
              anything.

              John
              >I was wondering as the directions aren't very clear. They state that the
              >front coupler must be broke off. Is that true?
              >
              > Ed
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • Ed Turner
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 31, 2008
                Thanks once again, John. It was very simple. More of a fear thing than anything. The coupler came right off and the snow plow attachment when on perfectly. AZL states that adding the snow plow attachment decreases the pulling power, have you experienced any?
                Ed

                ________________________________
                Not really, Ed. The coupler and truck is two piece, so you are not breaking
                anything.

                John
                >I was wondering as the directions aren't very clear. They state that the
                >front coupler must be broke off. Is that true?
                >
                > Ed
                >

                > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
                  Yes, very easy: the front coupler is just "plugged" on the forward truck and when bending it upwards it gets removed. Then take the spare snowplow, add a small drop of superglue on everyone of the four pins that are on the frame behind the plow. These pins will hold the snowplow assembly in matching holes inside the forward stairways in front of the cab. The superglue will strongly hold the snowplow assembly inside these holes, preventing any removal in case you have to pull an heavy train. If you elect to run your loco on tight curves or to pull light trains, you may forget the superglue... Myself I didn't hesitate to use it as I plan to run my locos only on broad curves, and as heavy trains are my rule.

                  If you want to swap the AZL coupler with a MTL sample, that's very easy as well: you just have to unscrew it from the snowplow assembly, then replace it with a MTL sample with the same screw, as both have the same size and the same screw hole....

                  Hope this helps,

                  Dom

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
                    Dom,

                    Thank you very much for your input in this. I have removed the coupler and added the plow attachment but apted not ot super glue as I may want to revert back. Thanks again. Ed