Pro-Z container cars set arrived

  • Garth Hamilton
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30 12:59 PM
      Greetings all

      Well are these ever nice. The container flats are metal castings
      very fine in detail with added plastic detail and with very nice free
      rolling trucks with metal wheels and fine flanges that are the right
      size and run through the Micro Trains switches like a hot knife
      through butter. The cars come with rapido couplers and they work just
      fine. If you want MTL couplers the 905's can be body mounted and the
      works fine also. The truck sits far enough back in the frame that
      there is no interference between the wheels and the coupler. To fit
      the 905 required a bit of filling of the metal chassis to open the
      existing notch for the coupler to sit in and then drilling a taping
      for the 00-90 screw. If you want to be sure the coupler stays aligned
      I would put a drop of ACC at the back of the coupler bos where it
      meets the frame as a back stop or anti rotation device. The EF-65 is
      the same one as was shipped with the Passenger sets but in a
      different colour scheme, so it is easy to convert to MTL 905 couplers
      as well. Very smooth running right out of the box. The container
      flats are filled with 5 x 24 foot containers so will hold 2 x 53 ft
      or any combination of North American containers as well and the body
      has metal tabs the stick up that the container shells just fit over.
      The cars are filled with 5 containers in two colour schemes for JR
      freight. The trucks are held in place with screws and the boss for
      the screw sits high enough so that the truck is still free to move
      and rock when the screw is down tight. These cars are much freer
      rolling than anything from Micro Trains that I have so far. I had
      this engine pulling 12 container flats and 12 MTL cars without any
      stalling or erratic operation so was well pleased with it. That is
      just short of 8 feet of train which on my layout is about as long as
      you want and still look good. They look even better behind my EF58's
      (like a GG1).

      My web site www.nn3.ca in the Z-scale section has pictures of how to
      put MTL 905's on the EF65 and will have information of mounting 905's
      on the container flats with a few days.

      cheers
      Garth
    • Jeff BAZ-man
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
        Garth,

        LINK ! Need a link to see them !!

        Jeff
        SF Bay Area Z

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garthah@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all
        >
        > Well are these ever nice. The container flats are metal castings
        > very fine in detail with added plastic detail and with very nice
        free
        > rolling trucks with metal wheels and fine flanges that are the
        right
        > size and run through the Micro Trains switches like a hot knife
        > through butter. The cars come with rapido couplers and they work
        just
        > fine. If you want MTL couplers the 905's can be body mounted and
        the
        > works fine also. The truck sits far enough back in the frame that
        > there is no interference between the wheels and the coupler. To fit
        > the 905 required a bit of filling of the metal chassis to open the
        > existing notch for the coupler to sit in and then drilling a taping
        > for the 00-90 screw. If you want to be sure the coupler stays
        aligned
        > I would put a drop of ACC at the back of the coupler bos where it
        > meets the frame as a back stop or anti rotation device. The EF-65
        is
        > the same one as was shipped with the Passenger sets but in a
        > different colour scheme, so it is easy to convert to MTL 905
        couplers
        > as well. Very smooth running right out of the box. The container
        > flats are filled with 5 x 24 foot containers so will hold 2 x 53 ft
        > or any combination of North American containers as well and the
        body
        > has metal tabs the stick up that the container shells just fit
        over.
        > The cars are filled with 5 containers in two colour schemes for JR
        > freight. The trucks are held in place with screws and the boss for
        > the screw sits high enough so that the truck is still free to move
        > and rock when the screw is down tight. These cars are much freer
        > rolling than anything from Micro Trains that I have so far. I had
        > this engine pulling 12 container flats and 12 MTL cars without any
        > stalling or erratic operation so was well pleased with it. That is
        > just short of 8 feet of train which on my layout is about as long
        as
        > you want and still look good. They look even better behind my
        EF58's
        > (like a GG1).
        >
        > My web site www.nn3.ca in the Z-scale section has pictures of how
        > put MTL 905's on the EF65 and will have information of mounting
        905's
        > on the container flats with a few days.
        >
        > cheers
        > Garth