Re: Isolated track routing using micro trains Micro Z switches.

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2008
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth Hamilton" <garthah@...> wrote:

      > In the photo section under Garth's Stuff I have added two images
      > showing how I modified the standard Micro Trains switch to isolate
      the
      > didverging route of an oepn end stub siding so you can park an
      engine
      > on it with no power until the switch is turned to open the siding.

      Nice feature to control stub siding power via the turnout setting.
      Reduces complexity of the block control panel. Thanks for this
      innovative tip, Garth.

      > I have a whole raft of different modifications for different
      > scenarios, such has double track main line with cross over switches
      > and isolation so you can run two trains in different directions
      from
      > different power sources and yet you can cross over from one main to
      > the other.

      Tell us more. DCC is here but block wiring is not dead, and new
      block switching tricks are always welcome.

      > Complete power routing using the switch inside the switch to route
      > power to the correct track for standard power routing switches with
      > block wiring.

      There was a time (N scale) when I used microswitches connected to the
      turnout throws to route power automatically. Eliminated the block
      switching control panel. But then became failure prone when the
      spring inside those Peco turnouts aged and lost sufficient strength
      to hold the points AND the microswitches in position. Now that
      experimental layout is gathering dust, and the cats have stomped most
      of the trees flat too. If you have ways of using the built-in power
      switching with MTL turnouts, please share them.