Kit Component Question

  • Michael Duggan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2008
      I'm poking away at a kit design and would like to get a sense of what others like in a kit. In particular, would you rather a kit have near prototypically thin mullions and casings on windows that were fragile enough that you might break several in building (with several spares included to cover for such breaks) or Would you prefer to have mullions and casings that are sturdier but a bit on the thick side for prototype? Any thoughts here or at my email - mthduggan@... would be a great help. Thanks in advance, Michael
    • John Duino
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 2008
        > I'm poking away at a kit design

        Well, I guess it would depend on HOW much thicker, but generally I prefer
        sturdy/easy over prototypical as long as it isn't OBSCENELY
        non-prototypical. I am not a rivet-counter. And I don't have a lot of time
        to model...which means rushing or at least not taking as much time as I
        should to make it "just right." So I might it "right enough". If I know
        it's going to take me four hours to cut/file/install a set of window
        casings on kit A, or I can get another kit B built in four hours
        completely, I am going to build kit B.

        Just my vote...others will disagree :)

        Love your kits!

        John
      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 15, 2008
          > should to make it "just right." So I might it "right enough". If I know
          > it's going to take me four hours to cut/file/install a set of window
          > casings on kit A, or I can get another kit B built in four hours
          > completely, I am going to build kit B.

          Here's a fun question and one I'm certainly interested in views upon. If
          the four hour longer kit was much cheaper which would you pick ? This
          comes up all the time doing kit design - simple example is window frames.
          You can etch them in long strips so you glue one strip to each wall, or
          you can etch them individually. The latter costs a lot less ...

          Alan
        • Bob Mitchell
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 16, 2008
            Hey, Michael,
            Building Loren Snyder's new laser card church kit, quite fine! Has a DVD in the kit, I assume in lieu of your great website builder's aid.
            Anything that'd reduce the toy-like fenestration inherent to Z would be the best! The building corner boards, the windows, and the figures, are the "dead giveaways" in all scales, esp. Z. My very un-scientific feeling is that, unlike other popular scales, Z would have the highest preponderance of "craftsmen", and the delicate part would be less of aturn-off. But this is only my opinion. I think GCLaser has some great detail stuff that some members of my little Z group eschew adding, but its nice to have the cellar hatch w/ open doors, the delicate individual steps, etc. on the fret, should one want to go the extra mile. Am I a whore to suggest that Both be provided? Is  laser-cut real estate quite dear? You have a tall order, satisfying both tadpole purchasers and tweezer-happy rivet counters. But you're nuts to manufacture kits in Z, at any rate.
            Any train shows planned? The Big E: Amherst RR show, Springfield MA? NMRA Hartford:I'm giving two clinics, one about Z scale!
            What the devil happened to the text of your query?
            Mery Christmas, If I don't communicate w/you afore then.
            Bob Mitchell