Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Noch and the newcomer

  • Steve Piwnica
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
      Thanks for your response, Chris.  Seems Schwarzwald is a little over the top for my first z layout (actually, I built the standard Marklin oval, but not much to go wrong there).  I'll be on ebay tonight looking around!
      Steve

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
        Doesn't look like much is on their web site, but this is a Great Train
        Expo show:

        http://www.trainexpoinc.com/schedule.html

        General page:
        http://www.trainexpoinc.com

        We'll be there all weekend. We don't know the layout yet of the show, but
        last year we were in the back corner. Please do come down and introduce
        yourself! If you have anything you'd like to run just bring it along!

        John

        > Thanks, John. Seems I should for now at least forget the switch yard and
        > maybe do two out of the four lines to get started. I am in Corona del Mar
        > and work in Irvine, so maybe I can meet the group at some point. Can you
        > give me more info on the show in Del Mar?
        >
        > Steve

      • Chris Manvell
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
          Hi Steve.

          2008/12/3 Steve Piwnica <stevepiw@...>:
          > Thanks for your response, Chris. Seems Schwarzwald is a little over the top
          > for my first z layout (actually, I built the standard Marklin oval, but not
          > much to go wrong there). I'll be on ebay tonight looking around!
          > Steve

          At least you've got a good baseboard; I started with just 6 x 2 feet
          into which I have managed to pack about 30m of track onto it
          (according to my rail cad program).

          Anyway, good luck with your layout. You'll have a great time building it.

          NB Check every rail joint before you anchor the track. It is all to
          easy to miss the odd fishplate (joiner) that manages to slip under the
          next rail. I speak from bitter experience.

          All the best,
          Chris.

          --
          Chris Manvell
          E: chris@..., T: 01471 822317, M: 078151 89991
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
            Uwe - that is a tremendous amount of info in one e-mail. Much appreciated. (And I have had a heck of a time translating the German assembly instructions. You've decoded a lot for me. thanks again.)
            Steve

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2008
              Steve,
              I'll weigh in since I am building an even bigger layout for my first
              layout. Use MTL flex track wherever you can. Its easier to work
              with than Marklin track and it is less expensive. Also, use Atlas N
              gauge code 55 rail joiners to join the flex. The MTL joiners are
              pretty good, much better than the Marklin ones, but the bigger rail
              joiners are more secure, easier to see and install, and really help
              keep the ends of the flex track in gauge, even on curves. Also,
              unless you are planning on gluing down the track, which I don't
              recommend, at least at first until you get the track just the way you
              want it, use Walthers Code 73/83 track nails to hold down the flex.
              They are longer and larger than the Marklin track nails, and look
              better in my opinion. Also, its nice to be able to shift around the
              track a little bit while under construction, then you can glue it
              down when everything fits and looks right.

              I am using Marklin switches with MTL flex, and its working just
              fine. As far as cash goes, Z is not for the faint of heart, but
              here's a few things you could try as well.

              One, use manual switches instead of remotes, especially in areas that
              are easy to reach or won't be used as much. The Marklin manual
              switches work well and are about half the prices.

              Two, leave off some sidings, yards or passing tracks until you need
              them. If its on a main line, put in a Marklin 8500 sectional track
              in place of the switch, and when you are ready to put in the switch
              for the siding or yard, cut the 8500 in half with the handy motor
              tool, pull it out and install the switch. Make sure and leave enough
              space without ties on the ends of the track on either side of the
              8500 so you can use the sliding rail joiner trick when you install
              the switch. This way you can build the thing in sections, get some
              trains running and then add on as you want and can afford to.

              Third, cut your own cork roadbed. The Itty Bitty lines is great
              stuff, but its real expensive. Find some thin sheet cork that is
              used to build cork message boards and cut your own strips of
              roadbed. All the roadbed on my 15' x 5' foot layout cost me about
              $24 at a local homecenter called Menards here in Chicago, but you may
              need to try an arts and crafts or office supply store out in
              California. Cut the strips 24mm wide for straighter sections and 12
              wide and use two strips for curves. A 2 foot metal ruler and a good
              exacto type with a sharp #11 blade will work fine for cutting.

              Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions about this.
              If you want to see pictures of what I'm doing, I just posted some pic
              of my adventure in Z Central Station under the "Building the
              Trinimosa Branch" gallery. I've built layouts in N and G scales, and
              Z is not really that much different, but there are some tricks that
              can make life easier.

              Good luck, Todd
            • Don A
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2008
                Ouch, that is a steep grade of 5%. Most of us stick to about 2%. If
                your consists are real short, the 5% MAY work, depending on the engine
                and cars. If you use MTL flextrack, you should be able to cut your
                track costs by about 60% or a LOT more. As for scenery, use foam and
                plaster cloth and hydrocal and resin rock castings and you should be
                able to build a real fine layout for several hundred dollars [in
                addition to the track etc]. If you have just a little ability you can
                scratch build some real fine bridges from plastic from Plastruct or
                Evergreen. I did that and also built one from foam and old business
                cards. Cost for the business card one wasn't zero, but getting pretty
                close. There are a number of Z Scalers in the Bay Area and also
                toward San Diego who may be able to help you out. Try the yahoo group
                ...BAZ_modules... for openers. I'm at the other end of the country
                so can't help too much. ...don

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Steve Piwnica <stevepiw@...> wrote:

                > Hello everyone - I'm basically new to z scale (dormant for the last
                year) and pretty new to model railroading and I think I have just
                gotten myself into a jam (being the overly ambitious guy that I am) by
                going out and buying the Noch Schwarzwald layout.� So I begin to