Japanese Z gauge Series 489 set

  • Cliff Travis
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi,
      Within 5 days of ordering I received The above From Hobby search.
      The set is now beautifully packaged And is very neatly and well made
      and is a great improvement over the RealZ sets.The couplers are
      similar in apperance to AZL couplers. They are free swinging and
      mounted to body with a single screw. The all metal Wheels appear to
      be smaller and have small very sharp flanges. Power car runs very
      quietly and smoothly.
      All is very good until you try to make up a train.
      Couplers must be hand centered and then hooked together by "eye".The
      car must then be lowered onto rails. Some have a knack for this but I
      find it to be extremely difficult and it took me almost 1/2 an hour
      to get the seven cars coupled. The train then ran very smoothly for
      about 4 feet when the last 4 cars uncoupled. The immediate cause was
      the loss of a wheel set caused by the breaking of a side frame.
      I removed the defective car and laboriously coupled up again. The
      train then derailed at the first switch (a new MTL).and after nany
      attemts to run through a switch I gave up.The sharp flanges seemed to
      be picking the points. The power car ran very well by itself and
      negotiated the switches most of the time.

      ProZ 6 car trains ,coupled up in seconds, negotiated the same
      track forwards and backwards/

      There must now be quite a few of these sets around as Hobby Search
      sems to be shipping quickly and I would very much like to hear from
      anyone who has run them.
      It is a good looking train but at this point I will pack it up
      and pile it on top of the RealZ boxes and chalk the $100 cost up to
      experience!!

      Incidentally there are NO lights.

      Cliff